Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Saitama Sachie

Vacation Feeding?

Guest Saitama Sachie

Hi! :hi I'm new to this forum, but not new to fish :D I searched for vacation feeding on here and didn't come up with anything, maybe I'm just blind hehe. I am planning a vacation with my husband and a few other couples to the mountains this winter before our hubbies get deployed. I have 5 goldies that will be left alone for 5-7 days. I was wondering if the automatic fish feeders (not the food blocks, the machines just to clarify haha) work and if there are any ones any of you would recommend or if I am better off seeing if I can find someone to come feed my fish. One of my hubby's sergeants has lots of goldies and koi, so I would feel comfortable leaving them in his care, but I am not sure if he will availible to come take care of them since he will have vacation at the same time. So I am thinking the automatic more as a fall back, but maybe just using that. Then I will also be gone in January for maybe 7+ days. I might have a friend that can come, but she also might be coming with me, so that is another reason I'm looking into an automatic feeder. Back home I had a lot more options for people to call, but now I only have like 2 people, haha. Now I'm just rambling, :)) Oops. Well I guess the final question is is an automatic feeder worth the money and is there one for multiple days? Or should I try and arrange a fishsitter and use the feeder as a last resort?

Thanks a bunch in advance :wub:

Saitama Sachie

Edited by Saitama Sachie

Welcome to Koko's! I am probably not the best person to help out here, so hopefully someone with experience can give you some advice. I know that most people here will get an automatic timer for the light on their tank and not even feed them for a five day or so vacation. They won't starve and you won't have to worry about your water quality detoriating while you are gone.

This would actually be a better choice then moving them to someone's house for the trip. If you do have someone come and check on them most people here get a pill box and measure out the correct amount of food and actually hide all of the other food. People can't resist the cute goldy dance, so this is to be on the safe side.

What type of goldys and what size tank do you have?

Guest Saitama Sachie

Oh goodness, no I wouldn't move them. Haha. I would have him stop by, he lives down the road. But like I said, I don't know his family's schedule. I would just trust him not to overfeed and to alert me if something went wrong or that he would be able to handle something if it went wrong. We actually gave him one of our goldfish because the fish was having an attitude problem with our other fish. His kids loved us for that, haha.

I have a 4 inch fantail named Pudding in a 20 gallon. Then I have a 55 gallon with 4 ryukins. Henry, Lou, Gerald, and Arnold. They are all like 2.5 inches and under. I also have a 20 gallon with 16 corydoras. So I guess I am asking for them too, hehe. How long can they go with no foods?

I would feel so guilty not feeding them. I feel guilty fasting them when they are having swim bladder issues because their goldy dance is so cute. Henry is the worst because he is my favorite. He'll hang in the corner where I feed and look at me.

I'm just curious about my longer trips that I'll be taking because I might even go for up to two weeks depending on my other family members plans. Also where could I find the timer for the light?

Edited by Saitama Sachie

As far as automatic feeders, I've never tried them, but I've heard mixed reviews (i.e., it malfunctioning and dumping all the food at once).

I would vote for having your friend come over once, maybe twice, when you're gone. Have him feed every two days? They should be absolutely fine for this amount of time.

And I wouldn't even worry about the light -- as long as your fish get some daylight in whatever room they're in, that should be good.

Be very wary of those feeders. The food gets damp and doesn't keep in there. I used one years ago and came back to find the feeder stank of rotten food and all my fish had ich/white spot.

Far better in my op. to have someone come in just 2 times and feed the fish -say, every 3rd day - that would be good :)

Guest Saitama Sachie

I'd probably draw my shades because I'll be gone and don't want my neighbors peeking in. So not much light would be coming in. I don't want to come home to white goldfish! Haha. I've found some plug in timers online and they seem relatively inexpensive. I'm thinking I might even be able to find them on base! I'll have to ask the sergeant if they will be available that week. They have a child that is like early elementary school aged. I was thinking of "asking" her after I clear it with the parents and paying her. I remember being a little kid and was like "Sweet, money!" What is a good amount to pay? If I have them come every other day like $5?

I was looking at this one:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...u=0480477000000

But this would just be a last resort if I can't find anyone. Seeing how my friend that I trust the most will be going on vacation with me it leaves me limited options. So if the sergeant can't do it then I don't have anyone else. My sister lives way too far away to just come down for my fish and my mom would probably just tell me "they'll live they are fish." because she's had fish for forever, haha. How long could they go without food? Will they snub me when I come home if I don't feed them? haha

I would not buy an automatic feeder. I had one before and it did not work well. For the timer for the light I have one that is for lamps. You can find them at home depot, lowes, or nooppee. I paid $5 for mine and it works just fine. The timing will vary some times but it is only 2-3 minutes. If you can have someone come and feed your fish that would be good.

I'd just leave them, unless you can get someone reliable to do it. I regularly (well not too regularly :P ) leave my goldies for around 5 days at a time when we go camping, they've always been fine. I just do the normal water change a day before we go (just in case something has happened to the water supply, things have happened before!) and feed normally up until you leave.

Guest Saitama Sachie

So it's a max of 5 days? Or could it be longer? Haha. I want a definitive answer, :D I was planning the water change the day before for all the tanks because that made a lot of sense, heh. I'm just hoping next weekend when I see the sergeant that they aren't going anywhere when we'll be gone and hopefully his wife will be available in January.

So it's a max of 5 days? Or could it be longer? Haha. I want a definitive answer, :D I was planning the water change the day before for all the tanks because that made a lot of sense, heh. I'm just hoping next weekend when I see the sergeant that they aren't going anywhere when we'll be gone and hopefully his wife will be available in January.

Do you have any green algae in your talk? The reason I ask is because (some) goldfish tend to use that as food too. If you do have (some) algae (to speak of), then even a week (7 days) should be fine. Even so, as sven mentioned, if you could manage to have someone reliable feed them at least once halfway, that would of cours be even better, but in that case make sure to leave the exact amount of food they have to add, and to be on the safe side, it wouldn't hurt to hide the rest of the food (some people tend to feel sorry for the 'pour fish' that they only get so little an amount and might think that it wouldn't hurt to add some more; good intentions don't always end well :unsure: ).

Hope this helps (some more) :) .

Guest Saitama Sachie

The algae I get in my tank is kinda green. More on the dark side, maybe brown? I don't know, hehe. I see one of them nipping at the side of the tank when there is algae, so I suppose he is eating it, but he is also the only one interested in it. I give them gel food anyway. So it is kinda hard to hide the rest of the stash if I had them come every two days. But I would just say "give one piece and one piece only or the fish will explode." HAHA, oh that is terrible. But 5-7 days depending on algae? But they can go 5 days and I won't come home dead fish? Does any one know anything about cories? I have them in a 20 gallon, can they go that long with no food too?

No I would say if your going to be away for much more than 7 days then try and find someone to help. Also they generally eat plants (I can't keep any form of plant in my tank without it being devoured!), so you chuck a few plants in there they'll probably snack on them.

Guest Saitama Sachie

I can get anacharis if they pet store has some in. I just keep silk plants because I know that the real ones will be devoured in a millisecond, haha. It will probably be a last resort if I can't find anyone to take care of them. So they can go 5-7 days, but any more I will need a fishsitter? Also the cories should be okay too? Would they eat plants? I know they are omnivores, but I've never seen them eat planted plants.

I can get anacharis if they pet store has some in. I just keep silk plants because I know that the real ones will be devoured in a millisecond, haha. It will probably be a last resort if I can't find anyone to take care of them. So they can go 5-7 days, but any more I will need a fishsitter? Also the cories should be okay too? Would they eat plants? I know they are omnivores, but I've never seen them eat planted plants.

It differs from from goldfish to goldfish, but as far as I know most will enjoy Anacharis and the like (good idea Sven :) ). A reminder though, plants from the shops can have parasites on them, so it's best to treat them with e.g. PP and/or bleach first, and if possible quarentine them for a while, giving them several different treatments.

Guest Saitama Sachie

When I was younger my mom would buy anacharis for our goldfish just for them to snack on and so in my experience it's pretty much a gurantee they will eat it, hehe :D I have a small tank that would be perfect for quaranting plants and I have like 2 and half months to do it. Now this treatment, how do i go about doing it? PP? Is that prazi? Or something else? Also bleach? Isn't that a bit sketchy? :blink: I'm thinking now I will probably do the plants and ask my fish sitter to drop in every 2-3 days. Especially when I go out of town for two weeks, which looks like it will be happening now that I figured out my school schedule :D Poor fishies will have to live without me :cry

When I was younger my mom would buy anacharis for our goldfish just for them to snack on and so in my experience it's pretty much a gurantee they will eat it, hehe :D I have a small tank that would be perfect for quaranting plants and I have like 2 and half months to do it. Now this treatment, how do i go about doing it? PP? Is that prazi? Or something else? Also bleach? Isn't that a bit sketchy? :blink: I'm thinking now I will probably do the plants and ask my fish sitter to drop in every 2-3 days. Especially when I go out of town for two weeks, which looks like it will be happening now that I figured out my school schedule :D Poor fishies will have to live without me :cry

The following might be of some help: How to disinfect. If you even need it but can't find it, it'll always be right there in my signature ;) .

Guest Saitama Sachie

Oooh, purple. Haha. I will have to look for permoxyn-permanganate before I get my plants. Thanks for all the help everyone :wub:

First, I used to use a feeder for my outside pond. It's not an in-ground pond, but one of those concrete, off-the-ground, decorative, waterfall/pond things. I'd attach the feeder to the back of one of the cafe chairs from my patio set and set it up right next to the pond so the back hung over the edge of the pond. I played with it a lot before using it to make sure that it dispensed just the right amount of food and it seemed to work okay. But, then I tried using it once on my indoor tank, and it was a disaster. As Trinket said, the food got damp and clogged up the feeder and then it got all moldy and mildewy and it was good it didn't fall out into the tank! I never used it again.

The bigger thing that I want to mention that wasn't touched on here is the psychological worry of leaving your fish alone, even if they are provided for, food-wise, to your satisfaction. The two previous times I left my fish alone, I came home to disasters. One, was coming home to find my ryukin being stuck behind the filter tube for who knows how long and later developing dropsy and dying. I have now either blocked off all small openings or widened them so no fish will get stuck. The other incident was coming home to a half empty tank with my filters sounding like airplane motors. I still have no idea what exactly happened, but, apparently, the filters somehow malfunctioned and shot water out of the tank and all over the floor. I NEVER could have predicted or foreseen that something like this would ever happen, but it did.

I recently went out of town for four days. I changed the water the day before I left. So, they had clean water. No worry there. I fed them the morning I left and left a big chunk of broccoli for them to nibble on while I was gone. I figured that, between feeding them the morning of the day I left and if I fed them the night I got back, they'd only be two days without food, which is fine, and then they had the broccoli to munch on, so, food-wise, I felt confident things were okay. But, the whole time I was gone, I worried endlessly about them. Who's stuck? Is the filter working okay? What else is going wrong? I slept poorly while I was gone, had dreams about my fish every night and didn't enjoy my time as much as I could have. I left early my last day just to get home to my fish because I couldn't stand the worry any longer.

Everything was fine, but the worry wasn't worth it. I swear I don't want to go anywhere anymore if this is what I have to deal with. So, I've vowed, from now on, to have someone come and check in on my fish when I have to go away, just so I can be sure they're okay beyond any food issues. An alternative I've heard of in this regard is to set up a webcam so you yourself can check in on your fish. Of course, this only works if you're near an internet source, which, when camping, is unlikely!

So, this is why you need to have someone come check in on your fish. And, I would suggest it be an adult, or at least someone who would know how to deal with an emergency if they came upon one.

Guest Saitama Sachie

Eeek! Horror stories! Definitely considering the sitter as essential now. My fishsitter is going to have an adult with when she comes so I'm not going to worry too much about it. We just thought it would be a fun thing for a little kid to make some money. Plus her parents take care of fish at their house so I think they will know what to do if someone gets stuck, etc.