Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
drkslvr

Dechlorinator

6 posts in this topic

When I first bought my fish, I found the most basic (not as in pH, but just the simplest) dechlorinator I could find. It didn't have any drugs or algae killer or ammonia remover, it just removed chlorine and chloramine. I liked it and my fish have done great, so I thought I'd get it again, but no such luck. wallyworld has stopped carrying at any of the stores in my area. it seems like all of the petstore dechlorinators have some super-special patented ingredient in them, but i really don't want any super-special ingredients, i just want dechlorinator. i definately don't need any ammonia remover, because my tap water is ammonia-free and i don't want to periodically starve the tank's cycle. i also don't have any algea, dispite how bad i wish a little would grow, and so there's no reason for an algae killer, either. i guess my problem is that i just don't want to put any more chemicals in my fish's tank than i have to, but the pet stores don't seem to be giving me many options. any suggestions?

I'd order some Prime offline if I were you, that's what I do now :)

You can get it at big al's online.

Hello,

An alternative to dechlorinator would be to "age" your water for about a week. You could fill a bucket and run an airstone to keep the water agitated, which will help to disperse chlorine. Not so sure about chloramine, so will look it up and get back to you.

Regards

Slugger :)

I found this useful document published by the san francisco public utilities commission, linked below:

http://sfwater.org/Files/FAQs/removal.pdf

Apparently there are a few methods to remove chloramine, and it will dissapate eventually from standing water.

Hope this is of some use.

BTW, does anyone know of a test for chlorine and chloramine?

Regards

Slugger :)

interesting article, slugger.

and, as he said, does anyone know of a test for chlorine and chloramine? i don't know which is in my water.

You can call your water company and ask them if they use chloramines and how much.

For pure dechlorination, you can just order sodium thiosulfate crystals (sold through pond supply stores and other places) for cheap.