Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
firstsgt93

Uv Filter

I have a 75 gal tank with 4 5-6in orandas. Should I turn off the uv filter when tring to establish a new bio filter

Are you using some old filter material to 'seed' the new filter, or maybe using 'bacteria from a bottle'? If either of those is the case, then it shouldn't matter that your UV filter is on or off when trying to cycle the new filter, since the bacteria you need will already be present inside the filter (albeit in small amount at this point).

Hello,

I agree with Erinaceous that a uv shouldn't really affect the bacteria in an established filter. However when you start up a filter, you are trying to grow a colony that muliplies faster than it dies off. I would feel that keeping the uv off might help a little bit when starting up and you don't have much bacteria.

I haven't tested this, but it is just a feeling.

In any case, it doesn't hurt to switch it off for a week because:

a) if algae/green water appears, it doesn't hurt the start up and will disappear once you restart the uv

b) parasites are not being intoduced to your tank because you are not adding new fish (hopefully?)

c) similarly harmful bacteria are not being imported to your tank at this time.

If you are worried about dormant parasites/bacteria previously suppressed by uv then flaring up when you switch it off, you could maintain water quality through water changes.

Just my tuppence.

Regards

Slugger :)