Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
amynmitchell

All This Talk Of Kh Has Me Thinking

Hi all,

After Imo's loss I've been really concerned about my PH and KH. My PH seems to hold consistently at 8. When I tested my KH the number came out at 5. To be honest, I don't even know if this is fine. It was on the lower end of the chart, but does that mean it is okay or worrisome?

Thanks!

Amy

Hello,

Is there a conversion given in the test leaflet? It's just that I'm used to ppm :) There is another scale, but I'm not familiar with it. dKH??

I used to buffer my water with baking soda to 200-300 ppm.

Hope this is some help.

Regards

Slugger :)

Hi there Slugger! I haven't seen you in an age!

Amy - If the PH is 8.0 you are most likely going to have a good KH - when you say 5, do you mean 5 drops? (dkh) If so, 1dKH= 17.86 ppm x 5 = 89.30. This is OK, although having it a little higher @ 100 wouldn't hurt.

FYI - Trinket has a very low PH with virtually no alkalinity, which is when people are at high risk of PH crash.

Hello Pixiefish, wow Mod and so many posts!!

Good to be back and see some familiar people around. :alc

I may have got my numbers a little wrong on the ppm because it was a long time since I buffered goldfish. Please do correct me :unsure: I now keep koi, which I don't buffer, and marines, which I buffer to about 350.

Regards

It is weird, but it is listed as as the best being 3 to 10 and it doesn't give an alternate way to calculate. I do think that is how many drops it took to change colors and actually I think it was really 6 drops. The last time I tested it a month ago it took 7. I'm probably fine...just a worry wart. My PH seems to stay pretty consistent.

Well, then your kit is using the dkh measurement. 1 drop (dkh) is equal to 17.86 ppm - so now you will be able to do the calc yourself.

If you are at 6 or even 7 drops, your ppm will be either 107.16 or 125.02, which is absolutely ideal.

The thing to understand is that KH is a measurement of alkalinity (carbonate hardness) in the water. The final stage of the nitrogen cycle is nitrate, which is acidic and uses up KH; so with the big waste output of goldies you need a robust KH to protect against PH instability - if the acidity from the nitrates exceeds the capacity of the KH to absorb it, the PH will start to slide downwards.

With some tropicals who need a lower PH and don't put out much waste, a KH of 3 drops (53.58 ppm) might be OK, but as goldies are big ammonia producers, the resulting nitrate definitely needs a KH of around 100ppm to hold the PH steady. This is what you have :)

Slugger - you have koi now? Did you get a pond? How cool.

BTW - the KH for marines is always sky hgh so your numbers sound right.

Amynmitchell,

Good to hear that your pH is normally stable, things should be hunky dory.

I only really used to test kH right at the start. Once you know your tap pH and kH, you only really need to regularly monitor pH. (Unless you get lazy like me).

Pixiefish,

Yup I got pond with 12 fish in it, mostly koi and some goldfish. My biggest fish is 3 feet long!!! I do miss keeping fancy goldfish though...

Regards

Thanks, everyone! Slugger, I would love to see pics of your new pond...

Unfortunately, it's coming up to midnight in the UK and I have to work tomorrow :(

I'll try and take a pic over the weekend and post it. I'm also trying to get a pufferfish this Saturday for my marine tank, so I may not be able to.

Regards

Well, getting another fish is a good excuse for not taking pictures...but pictures soon!