Jeana727

Jeana's Lil' Goldie Page

612 posts in this topic

My parents kept fish years ago when I was young. Different types of fresh water fish....quite an assortment over the years! All kinds like Swordtails, Mollies, & Bettas. My Dad kept Cichlids.....Oscars & Firemouths. He even raised fry a few times. It was quite interesting!

Years ago I had a little 10 gallon tank with a few Tiger Barbs. My children were small & loved to watch them. We kept them for quite awhile, but when we moved I didn't sit the little tank up.

Then in '04 I dragged the tank out again because a cute little wiggling goldfish caught my eye. He was a little Red & Black Oranda with a little smuge of black on his lip that looked like a moustache. I named him Groucho. He got bigger & eventually lost ALL the black....even the moustache. He eventually became Big Boy!

It is amazing that he survived! He & 3 other goldies lived in the 10 gallon tank!! Of course, I started having problems so I sought help. That's how I found Koko's!! I learned pretty quickly that I had WAY too many fish & not near enough WATER!! My hubby got me a new H U G E tank! It was 29 gallons & he even got me a stand to go with it! He re-enforced underneath to hold the weight better! I was REALLY in business now!! I filled it with water and was amazed at all the room they had! Luckily Big Boy survived my Long, Slow Learning curve!!!

In 2006 my son came home & said a friend was selling his 90 gallon tank & everything that went with it. At first my son wanted it, but when he realized how much WORK went into it he decided it would be better for me to have it!! I bought it sight unseen! My 2 sons went to get it, I told them what to look for. I was at work, they called to tell me IT WAS HUGE & and looked good....just needed some cleaning. I said GO FOR IT!!

My husband & sons helped clean it up. I was SOOOOO excited, this was a SERIOUS fish tank!! It was supposed to come with filters & everything. I got the tank & stand.....never saw the other stuff! But I was STILL happy! I got a bargain!!

Well, when I put my little filter on that tank (a tiny HOB filter) it looked almost comical!!! My sons bought me an Aquaclear 110! I was so happy to put what looked like a BOAT MOTOR on my new big 'ole tank!! You can imagine how surprized I was to find I was STILL underfiltrated!! A dear friend at Koko's gifted me with a Fluval filter! (I was A L M O S T there!!) Then my hubby came home with ANOTHER AQ110!!! Finally I was properly filtrated!! Whew!!

Big Boy was doing fine! I lost several goldies during my learning process. I learned about proper water changes & made them part of my regular routine. I was doing my weekly water changes with a little siphon & a bucket! It was QUITE a job!! Near my birthday my hubby asked what I wanted. I said a 50ft Python Siphon System!!! ((Try explaining THAT to your Non-fish keeping friends!!)). He got it for me & it changed my routine water changes into a MUCH easier task!!

I got Buster, a baby Red Lionhead on '04. He was SO cute puttering around!!

I got Patch, Cocoa & Hershey(Fantail/Oranda Mix) in '06. They were from that post Sorsha made about Raising FRY! My son met her to pick the babies up for me. He met Sorsha in Atlanta ON A MOTORCYCLE!! He put them in a container in his backpack & brought my babies home!! Patch is Orange & White with black speckles & a long flowing tailfin. Hershey is Brown with gold undertones, all his fins are chocolate brown. Cocoa turned completely orange!

I bought Yin & Yang in '06 from Goldfish Utopia. They were twin Calico Lionheads imported all the way from China!! I later lost Yang but Yin is still going strong.

I got Spot (a white Common that USED to have an orange spot) when I visited my daughter back in '04. I noticed a little white goldie in a tank full of TIGER BARBS!!! I scooped him out & brought him home in a Ziplock Bag!! He was a little fellow. Now he's about 6-7 inches long NOT including his long flowing tail!! His spot is long gone & he has really endeared himself to me!!

I got Cindy Lou Who, a tiny Calico Oranda Feb '08! I saw her at Psmart & thought she was so cute. On side is mostly orange calico & the other is mostly white calico!!

Back when I got my 90 gallon tank another thing I never got was the lighting. We looked into lighting & was shocked at how expensive it was for a big tank!! My husband had an idea. My tank is completely covered partially with permanent glass & both ends with removable glass parts. He got me a shop light that went from one end to the other for a very good price! It works great & looks fine!! I even sit several "fishy" items across the top of it!! It's cute!

The 90 gallon tank is in my living room along the left wall. The 29 gallon tank sits on the other side caddy-corner. And the 10 gallon is in the kitchen. It now it home to a very pretty, fiesty male Betta!

Edited by Jeana727

I have added timers to my tanks lights! I really like them! They come on in the morning while I am getting ready for work. I feed the guys before I leave. The lights for out during the day. (They get plenty of indirect light.) The lights come on again right after I get home from work & go off a little before I head off to bed. Timers are GREAT!!

I love my timers! I wouldn't know what to do without them! I have one set up for my daylight, and then, overlapping a little, I have my moonlights come on and my daylights go off. Wow! That 90 gallon sounds like a beautiful dream! How nice! And see? You don't need to use all those expensive things made just for aquariums! With a little ingenuity, any old thing can work great! Cool!

Okay I say this every time someone starts a blog, but I just LOVE reading how everyone started off.. It's funny, almost ALL of us say the same thing. "I started out with too many fish in my tank, they got sick, I found koko's, now I am addicted" : ) Thank god for this site!!!

I agree, you should post some pics in this blog so we can see all of your tanks..!!!

I said a 50ft Python Siphon System!!! ((Try explaining THAT to your Non-fish keeping friends!!)).

HA! The other day Shane & my mom were asking me what I wanted for my birthday. I told them there is a disease book want that is over $100. They literally looked at me like "WHAT?". I don't think I am getting it LOL Then I told them about the python. A few days later my mom says "so you said you wanted that snake for your birthday right?". Sooo cute!!

Hah! I haven't asked for any goldie thing for a b-day or christmas present (yet!), but I recently went on a job interview where the person asked me what I liked to do for hobbies, etc. I said goldfish and he sort of looked at me like, "huh? I said a hobby, something real... goldfish aren't real." I mean, it was that look like you-gotta-be-joking-cuz-otherwise-you're-crazy look.

Sorry, not about me! This is Jeana's Page!

Hah! I haven't asked for any goldie thing for a b-day or christmas present (yet!), but I recently went on a job interview where the person asked me what I liked to do for hobbies, etc. I said goldfish and he sort of looked at me like, "huh? I said a hobby, something real... goldfish aren't real." I mean, it was that look like you-gotta-be-joking-cuz-otherwise-you're-crazy look.

I remember you saying that!! : ) I forgot the other thing I told them I wanted was a microscope. When I told them THAT one, they both just rolled their eyes and walked out of the room.... !

Okay.. that was it I promise.. Now, back to you miss Jeana! : )

Well, I thought I'd be able to go back into my original post & place pictures throughout! I guess not! :blink: ANYWAY HERE GOES:

BigBoy2004.jpg

Here's Big Boy.....when he was Groucho!

DSCF0084.jpg

This is Big Boy in '05 (no more Black)

b80665b2.jpg

Here's Buster when he was a tiny baby '04

8f852aa4.jpg

Cocoa (He's SOOOOO tiny!!)

DSCF0029-1.jpg

This is Yin B4 he turned into a giant Sumo Wrestler!

Goldfish-misc-016.jpg

Here he is as big ole fat SUMO guy!!

This is Hershey NOW!

DSCF0031-2.jpg

Here's Big Boy now!

DSCF0031-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Big Boy Again!

Goldies-528-023.jpg

Cindy Lou Who is Two Fish in One!

Her ORANGE Calico side:

fish-cindyloo-022308-o-side.jpg

Her WHITE Calico side:

fish-cindyloo-022308-w-side.jpg

The 90 gallon tank:

Goldies-5-008.jpg

DSCF0006-2.jpg

6a8e1797.jpg

• Upvote 1

When we first brought it home. My son put a CD in it to show how big it was

My100galFishTank.jpg

Big Boy.....Goldie with an ATTITUDE!

DSCF0026-3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here's Buster.....when he was healthy.

DSCF0036-1.jpg

He & I are battling Dropsey right now! He is holding his own. He has received some GREAT Well Wishes from many Koko's Members & Koko! I believe that has helped ME so much to help HIM get thru this awful illness!

This is Patch.....Cocoa & Hershey's sibling.

72359878.jpg

42a2c2d4.jpg

This WAS Sunny. Patch, Cocoa & Hershey's sibling. Sunny was my favorite of the group of 4 babies I got from Sorsha....the ones that made the Motorcycle Ride. Something strange happened. All the fish were fine & I had had them a month or so when Sunny came up missing! I never found a single sign of her. I still kind of miss her because her coloring was so nice, I think she would have been a beautiful goldie!

Edited by Jeana727

Night Tank

c1ad5a93.jpg

Spot, my Common '05

77a358cd.jpg

Spot '08

Goldfish-misc-013.jpg

Big Boy in '05..........Ha! He won't fit in my hand NOW!!!

DSCF0027.jpg

Pre-90 gal tank! When Big Boy & friends lived in the 29 gallon tank!

DSCF0009.jpg

Patch (another 2 sided fish) '05

72359878.jpg

9f701013.jpg

And now:

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0028-1.jpg

Well, ACTUALLY I'll have to take another couple of pictures of Patch because now all his (her?) fins are very long & flowing!

I'll do that tomorrow!

Hope you enjoyed!

• Upvote 2