Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
mardaokansi

Phosphates & Ph

13 posts in this topic

I have two tanks; 55 w/ big algae problems and 20 w/ minimal algae. I am in the process of starting a planted tank for the 20 gal and I read that a planted tank helps control the algae although algae can grow on the leaves and suffocate the plants too.

now I've heard that lowering your phosphates lowers your pH. is that true? if so, how can I remove my phosphates (w/ a phosphate remover in the filter) and keep my pH balanced?

edit: would the buff it up from goldfish connection work or would it in turn raise the phosphates?

Edited by Martha

does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Hi Martha,

Same as you I was waiting for someone to answer this, because it interest me as well. I've googled and looked on wikipedia, but haven't food much useful. All I found (and already knew) is that phosphates can convert into phosphoric acid, but I don't know in which form the phosphates get into the water (in the acidic or basic), so I can't really theorize about their effect on pH. Hopefully someone else will be able to offer some assistance.

well thanks 4 posting, I was feeling lonely! lol I was reading somewhere that the remover lowers your pH but I'm not certain. as my dad says "only believe half of what you read on the internet"

"only believe half of what you read on the internet"

That sounds about right :D .

it's only been a day since I've posted this question, but I was wondering how do I get a moderator or koko or somebody's attention if I can't pm?? I'd really like to add the phosphate remover so I can get rid of this algae.

One way to make a post more noticeable is to put it in the Goldfish Discussion section or in Diagnosis & Discussion (if it could belong there). For obvious reasons PM is post-count restricted, and there is no real other way to contact mods (because that would have the same problems as PMing), aside maybe from personally mailing Koko (but I don't know if there is an e-mail address listed anywhere on the site). I'll PM Koko in a couple of minutes.

well thanks. I didn't want to email her b/c its not an emergency, you know? I'll have 100 posts some time soon; I just don't have a lot to add to conversations b/c I'm a newbie! :) but the pm option is very handy to have.

One way to make a post more noticeable is to put it in the Goldfish Discussion section or in Diagnosis & Discussion (if it could belong there).
I thought I was putting this post in the right place...? but thanks, I'll do that if I don't get anyone else to talk to besides you this week! lol :) :)

You did put it in the right place! :) And I saw this post but I didn't know the answer so I didn't say anything..

Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone LOL

And yeah, if you need a mods attention and can't PM you can always post on the thread and one of us who can PM can do it for you!

Sorry didnt see this post...I did some more reading after I saw this cause I thought well it could if you lowered the Phosphates to low...

So the more you remove the Phosphates the more the KH will drop. This means that the Ph might crash if you go to low hun....What you could do is get a phos test kit see where your level is at and what is in your tap water. Also test your KH, if your KH is high and phos arent very high you could us a phos pad but if your KH is to low then doing this might cause the PH to crash....

Have you thought of a UV light if its green algae?

thanks Koko. I don't know what I'm going to do. I emailed Rick from GC but all he said was that algae was healthy for my fish. I'd buy a UV light if they weren't expensive & I have green and brown algae. I'll post the results of the phos and kh test 2morrow. I really don't want the algae to kill my plants!!

oh, & I originally emailed Rick 2 see if buff it up would help keep the pH stable while removing the phosphate.

Edited by Martha

Algae feeds off phosphates and nitrates. If phosphate levels are high you can use a product called phoszorb to cut them back. Large water changes and reducing bright light also help/s.

However suddenly reducing algae levels can cause a cycle crash as Koko has described -so be very careful. Very sudden reduction of a component in the tank water chemistry that has been slowly and gradually developing can cause -in this case- algae crash that pulls down pH and consumes dissolved oxygen.

To avoid it, go slow with the changes and increase dissolved oxygen.