Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nimajneb

Big Brother.... Goldfish.... Same Thread

Guest nimajneb

Big Brother's been going for a couple fo months here in the UK. I love it and I'm not 'particularly' ashamed to admit it. But.... they've really disappointed. They've given them two commons, in a BOWL. GRRRRRRRRRR. The water is cloudy, there's tonnes of gravel and one's died within days already!

The next bit's a bit long. But I had to make a complaint through the Channel 4 website. You might want to read it... apologies, I get a bit long winded when I rant!

"The addition of the goldfish as a reward/special purchase in the 'goldfish bowl' and in clearly unsuitable water was a blatant disregard to proper responsible care for a pet as demonstrated by the sickness of one of the fish within days of their arrival.

The Goldfish bowl is widely recognised within the enourmous worldwide fishkeeping community as a veritable death sentence providing far from adequate space for the absolutely essential conversion of chemicals within the water and break down of waste in order for a goldfish and indeed any other type of fish to prosper and survive as it deserves to do. It is commonly accepted that common Goldfish as provided in your programme require 20 gallons of water EACH. I would hazard a guess that what you have provided is at best 3 gallons. It is also essential for this process to be completed BEFORE the addition of any live fish. The cloudiness of the water indicates that this responsibilty has clearly been disregarded by the show's producers and no doubt capacitated the illness of the Goldfish.

With such a large audience do you not believe that the producers of the show and indeed the broadcaster has to take some sort of responsibility for responsible pet care when taking into consideration that a large percentage of the demographic audience would I suspect be of a younger age and susceptable to wanting to have what they see on television. Whilst I concede that medication has been provided, once again, more responsible pet keepers would want to know that medication to the water conditions evident are likely to make the water more toxic to the fish and the medication ineffective.

Would the programme have introduced a puppy not yet old enough to leave it's mother, a rabbit without a hutch, a snake/reptile without addequate heating? I fear not.

This often inappropriately derrided past time gives much pleasure to perhaps millions of people around the world, and to effectively consent to mistreatment and incorrect care could leave many a parent consoling their child of yet another deceased pet.

I look forward to your appropriate response."

Just incase anyone wants to put their opinion to them, here's the link to the online form. Once comment might not make them read, lots might. POWER TO THE PEOPLE

http://help.channel4.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...TITLE=CONTACTUS

Big brother 10(one of my quilty pleasures too ..not sure if it is the same one as in the uk but they have an Oranda in a bowl too!!!!!... :( ..good for you to be the voice of that poor fishie!!!!

Edited by hi-d

Guest nimajneb

Can't be the same one then, definitly no Oranda's in our UK bowl. I just think it's a shocking advertisement for poor pet keeping... now evident on a global scale by the same voice. Let's be honest, most of us came here because of sick fish so imagine if BB had even a 10g with just the one fish in there how much more positive a message that would be.

I hope some more people consider picking up the cause.

no animals should be involved in these shows ..to much drama.....ecspecially fish ...my god I bet the tanks or bowls are not even cleaned the whole 3 months they are in therre!!

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

KUDOS TO YOU!!!!!!

Guest katie.P

good on you for speaking up!

i too was dissapointed with the fishes "home" and was going to speak to them but didn't know how or where :(

may i add that they didnt have a filter either (or atleast one that i could see)

i officialy cannot stand mo anymore, "were going to cook em and eat em, they taste good" or something along that line!

congrats on speaking up!

can some one tell me how to contact them plz?

Guest nimajneb

lol - Greedy Mo - yet another reason to get that beep beep beep beep out, and Rachel went up in my estimation, even Mikey did though I can't stand him usually.

I put the link to Channel 4's online form in my first post. There's a drop down bar about halfway down the page - select 'complaints'. I had a robot reply today to say it had been passed on to someone and I would get a response within 10 days. Haven't looked but I dare say a direct complaint to Endemol the show's creator and producer would be good too and strikes directly at the heart of the ultimately responsible party but for me personally Channel 4 are who I want to acknowledge the fault as they are ones with broadcast power.

Often, public apologies are made or investigations from OFCOM(Ombudsmen for Communication) are instigated with as little as 20 complaints. There are getting on towards 20,000 members here so if people want I will find a route via OFCOM but it would need to be done quickly in order to have an impact.

Guest katie.P

oh yes, sorry i missed the link lol.

will complain tomorrow, lets see if we can get lots of people to email them and make a BIG complaint!

yes, iv liked rachel from the start and cant understand whats wrong with her but i felt sorry for her because she got realy attached to those fish (heaven and22 lol, strange names for fish)

Good job nima!! I hope they get the message! This is one of the reasons I am sooo glad Big Brother has been canned in OZ FOREVER!! *jumps in the air!!* They would always have animals on it in far from ideal situations.

Guest Isilme

Indeed reallt good to protest against this! Sometimes people can be so... GRMBL...

Let us know when they answer!

Guest Isilme
do you think i can complain even if i dont watch the show?

How would they know...? I think the more people complain the better!

do you think i can complain even if i dont watch the show?

How would they know...? I think the more people complain the better!

good point! :thumb:

Guest nimajneb

Bringing back this thread.... got a response from Channel 4 who said they asked the advice of the petshop owner and said they told the housemates to change the water every few days and they supplied water conditioner and oxygenation tablets. Being the beligerent(spelling?) so and so that I am I suggested that asking the store owner was like taking the advice of a 2nd hand car dealer saying that the car I am interested in had one old lady owner who used it to go to church every sunday. I have also replied that they could have shown a more responsible attitude and asked the advice of a vet or even the RSPCA and THEN gone to the store.

Lets see if I get a response to that.

Guest nimajneb

I got particularly sarcastic when the response said they had gone to a reputable pet store. Had to ask them reputable to who? Are they a member of OATA?

No doubt the corporation will just get bored of my whinging and fob me off but at least I know I had my say.