Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lantern567

Salt During Quarantine

I have two fish in quarantine. When I got them I left them alone for a few days, then I put in prazi and .1% salt. That didn't seem to cause any negative reaction. Today I added salt to make .2%. I noticed the fish developed slightly clamped fins and I even caught them sitting on the bottom for a bit. They did recover and started acting normal, but I worry about going the next step to .3%. Any thoughts?

may be bring it up slow ..maybe to 2.5 than 3 12 hours in between ....if you notice the stress is too much you can change it out :)

I agree with Heidi. Some fish are sensitive to it, and adding it slower may help. :)

Good luck!!

Debbie

Just a thought, but it might not be the salt that your fish are reacting to. In cases where the fish have a particularly large and bad load of flukes, sometimes the symptoms get worse before they get better. As the salt and prazi are killing off the bag buggies your fish may have, it might be causing your fish some discomfort as the nasty little things dig in their heels, so to speak.

Just a thought, but it might not be the salt that your fish are reacting to. In cases where the fish have a particularly large and bad load of flukes, sometimes the symptoms get worse before they get better. As the salt and prazi are killing off the bag buggies your fish may have, it might be causing your fish some discomfort as the nasty little things dig in their heels, so to speak.

This is the first thing I thought of too. When I brought home my new fish and first gave them the prazi, they definitely were a tiny bit agitated and I could tell by their behavior that the flukes were annoying them as they were beginning to die. But, I agree otherwise. Upping the last level of salt more slowly is a good way to go and if the reactions seem to be worse, you can always change out the water.

Third times a charm! I agree with Joy & Lynda it is a definate possibilty.... My fish Angel acted worse when I upped her salt and started the prazi.. I freaked out and Joy told me to watch her carefully, but give her some time, and it could be the flukes dying off.. I had a clamped little sick fishy for about a day, and then, HAPPY fish! She got better, and the rest of her time at 0.3% salt didn't seem to bother her at all. Everything that happened points now to flukes. SO while it's very possible your fish could be sensitive to the salt, it is quite possible that they will perk back up quickly. I think doing what Heidi suggested is a great thing... raise it slowly, and just keep an eye out.

Great advice. All these things :) . Salt increments as Hi-d says can be done slower to test for sensitivity, and fish will bottom sit temporarily with any addition to water as a shock reaction. How long they are down (plus fin sail power) is more often an indicator of how bad they are taking whatever it is..

how are they now?