Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scaring

Please Tell Me I Didn't Just Ruin My New Tank

I just tested the ammonia levels for the first time in the tank I have been trying to do a fishless cycle in for the last 2 weeks. It was off the chart, Where as a dark green is 80, my color showed almost a blackish blue green. I removed the water and noticed that there is either a crust that won't come off the glass and plastic pieces or it's etched. It feels like a heavy calcium or lime deposit on the glass. Please tell me this is removable and that I did NOT permanently etch the glass in my new tank.

ok, I called the lfs and they had me come down and pick up a glass scrubber. They told me that high ammonia levels cause an acidic reaction in high PH water. Makes the lime and calcium clump and stick to everything. They said to scrub the glass the best I could and to use white vinager on the hard places and to remove the filter medium and soak the hob in the vinager. BEFORE I do that, I want to make sure that this is safe to use in the tank. Does anyone know about this?

Are there lime deposits on the filter? Using diluted vinegar on the glass should be fine as long as you rinse very thoroughly.

How much ammonia did you add to the tank?

Are there lime deposits on the filter? Using diluted vinegar on the glass should be fine as long as you rinse very thoroughly.

How much ammonia did you add to the tank?

The lime deposits are coated on everything! It's a mess. The inside of the uptake is really coated as is the inside of the HOB. I just want to sit down and cry. When I first started two weeks ago, I used 3 capfuls on day 1, 2 on day two and 1 on day 3. After that, I just used a pinch of flake everyday.

I am sorry you have such a mess on your hands! How frustrating. Probably the thing to do is break everything down (including the filter box, but not the media) and soak it in vinegar water and then rinse, rinse, rinse. I don't think the lime will hurt anything if you leave, it will just be cosmetic.

Ammonias vary in their concentration. When I did a fishless cycle on my 20 gallon tank I found that 1/4 tsp. ammonia every other day was about the right amount to bring ammonia up to 4.0 ppm, which is high enough to cycle a tank pretty fast but not so high that it will cause minerals to precipitate out of the water.

I am sorry you have such a mess on your hands! How frustrating. Probably the thing to do is break everything down (including the filter box, but not the media) and soak it in vinegar water and then rinse, rinse, rinse. I don't think the lime will hurt anything if you leave, it will just be cosmetic.

Ammonias vary in their concentration. When I did a fishless cycle on my 20 gallon tank I found that 1/4 tsp. ammonia every other day was about the right amount to bring ammonia up to 4.0 ppm, which is high enough to cycle a tank pretty fast but not so high that it will cause minerals to precipitate out of the water.

Thanks Kristen. I'll be much more careful next time. Heavy (painful) scrubbing is getting it off the glass. I just don't believe my luck sometimes. :( Now I have to start from scratch again. Dang it.

How much vinager to how much water would you suggest?

a lot of the materials such as the glass covers and stuff i got with my 125 gal were covered in calcium deposits... i actually just filled a rubbermaid tub with water and poured in vinegar and let it sit there for a day and all the calcium deposits were gone.

it's important to rinse thoroughly though when you're done.

the good thing though is vinegar, unlike bleach, is relatively easy to rinse away.

just dont' let it soak too long or it will smell like vinegar. ;)

Thanks T,

ok, I'll soak everything. If nothing else, at least I learned that ammonia is a water softener. LOLOLOL

When you add your ammonia to your tank (once you've finished cleaning it :rolleyes: ), it's much easier to use a medicine dropper to add the ammonia. They can be found in the baby section of the grocery store, and are usually about a dollar. You can bring the ammonia up to 4ppm in one day, just add some and wait about 1/2 an hour before testing the ammonia to see where you're at. Keep track of how much you add, so you know how much ammonia is needed to feed the tank later on. I don't know the size of your tank, but I believe I used about 8 tsps to bring my 55 gallon to 4ppm - but different sized tanks need different amounts, and ammonia's are all different strengths, so I'd add a small amount at a time. Keep in mind that ammonia at too high a level will inhibit the bacteria that you're trying to grow. (and leave lime deposits, too ;) )

Debbie