Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Feeding Newborn Fry

So they are supposed to be eating a yolk sac. I see no yolk sacs!

I do not have the proper foods because I was planning on going to the store tomorrow.

This was only "day 2" I thought I had a few days before the eggs would even hatch.....to tellt he truth I didn't think they would hatch, they were all white.

So do I need to feed them NOW? What would I give them.

I would like to wait until I have the proper food, but if the fry will die if they don't get food now, I would rather risk crushing flakes into powder or cooked egg yolk or whatever....

I guess my question is, how long before they die of starvation? Can they wait until tomorrow or do they need food NOW?

They stick to the tank walls, and then swim a brief swim and stick back on the wall.

Please help me. I promise to always be prepared from now on. Scouts Honour.

Thanks you sooo very much

Jessica

Guest starsmom

the egg yolk thing worked for me just fine. Actually, I didn't even FIND my one fry for quite a while, I pulled him out of the main tank and stuck him in my 2 gallon, didn't see him, did a water change and then he reappeared. I think he maybe ate algae or something for quite a few days, so don't worry too much, they will be O.K!

You may want to try raising some brine shrimp, see my post further down for raising small amounts, super easy and works great!

Laura

Thank you Star's mom, and that made me feel a lot better.

Now that I think about it, goldfish hatch and survive in ponds, often without the owners knowledge, so no baby food is put in!!

I was using the 10 gal for the betta (whom I rudely removed!) and there is lots of algea on the sides of the tank!

I will try the egg yolk, and I will also get some brine shrimp and baby food tomorrow. I read your directions yesterday I think it was, but I will need to re-read them for sure! Thanks so much.

Jessica

Guest starsmom

Jess:

I bought the liquifry by Interpet, and it seems to me that it is not much more than egg yolk mixed with some other stuff anyhow, I wouldn't even bother. Just smoosh up some cooked egg yolk in a bit of tank water, I just did it in a teaspoon, and put a tiny bit in. They will find it and eat it, you will see their bellies turn yellow, so you will know they are eating it.

Then raise the baby brine. At that point, their little bellies will turn ORANGE from eating the brine...

Also, I have had my fry for 2 months, with nothing but an airstone. I change about 40% of the water once a day (sometimes every other), and my fry is fine, he is one fry in a 1 gallon tank. Since switching to brine shrimp, I have seen a lot of very quick growth, it really is the best thing, I think, although you have to feed the yolks first for a couple of weeks.

Laura

Wow thank you!!

I hope that they find the egg! I bought them some baby food, they did not have liquid....it looks like crushed up flakes into powder LOL I could have done that!

I will get them some brine shrimp for sure. I forgot today, and it was even on my list!! I got distracted by that darn Ranchu I bought!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. Very much appreciated!

How is Star doing by the way?

Jessica

Guest starsmom

No problem Jess, just sharing from one first-time fry momma to another! And I have very little time and $, so I am doing it the cheapest and easiest way possible! Another thing, my fry tank is not heated and my house temp is probably about 60, so something else you don't have to worry about is heat! My one lonely fry is so far not misshapen in any way, straight spine, has all it's fins and all. I figure I am lucky to have only one and have a reasonably good one!

Star is doing well, growing a lot, must be up to 16 hands now. Although he is very slow-legged, I doubt we will get a lope out of him, as his legs are so long. Definately hunt seat! How is your horse doing? How are you coping with the cold? I am so glad that we have a heated barn and indoor arena!

Laura

I have an incandescent sp hood on the 10 gal the fry are in, I'm not sure of the temp ( I would have to double check) but it has to be at least 75-76, maybe as high as 78? The lights heat the water ;o)

Marshall must be 16hh now too, and I hear you about the legs. He is hunt seat material too LOL!

I am not sure what I want to do with him yet.

And I don't have a heated barn/indoor arena, I have to freeze my butt off heehee. Drat. I have not been riding at all.

Glad to hear that Star is doing so well.

Jessica