Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
misty_blue16137

Double Good Grief

After Skye & Black Velvet layed their eggs there were still a few attached to the plant the next day. So for the heck of it I stuck the plant in the 2 gal with some tank water and there it's been sitting. Decided tonight to dump the water and clean the plant off finally. Got out to the sink and got a better look and darned if there aren't babies in there. :blink: I see at least 3,could be more. Hard to tell with that plant in there. Have no idea when they hatched but probably today. I was caught flat footed with this as I wasn't expecting anything to come of it. I have no filter,no real baby food not to mention no idea of what to do for the little buggers if they even survive. I do have Omega One small pellets that I can crush to powder till I get something better. So off I go to read up on fry posts I reckon,lol. Should I do a bit of a water change on them tonight since that has been just sitting with no filter of any kind or leave well enough alone at least for tonight?

Kathy

It takes about 2-3 days from hatching before the fry can swim horizontally. Before that, they do not need to be fed.

If they are still attached to the glass/plant, it is an easy thing to gently scoop out water and replace it. I would suggest that you do change some if you can match the temps and all. Hatching produces a lot of waste.

Hmm,little boogers are already swimming around. One is especially active. So,sounds like they hatched a couple of days ago maybe? Will see what I can do about a bit of a water change for tonight. Will head to the pet store for a sponge filter and newborn food in the am if they are still living yet.

Thanks Daryl!

Kathy

So they were still living this morning. Seems to be 4 or 5. One's pretty active so may be counting him twice. Went out and got a sponge filter and air pump, liquid fry food and Hikari First Bites. They were out of frozen hatched baby brine shrimp but are waiting on their order to arrive. Can they eat the Betta's freeze dried bloodworms if I squash them into powder? Or should I just stick to the baby foods? They are so darn tiny it's hard to spot them. Should I just leave them in the 2 gallon acrylic tank for now rather than risk moving them? I probably have a gallon to gallon & a half of water in there so how often should I do a water change as opposed to just replacing what is lost to cleaning the bottom as needed?

Kathy

Awwww Kathy you've got little babies!!! How sweet!!!! I am curious how everything will turn out with them.. : ) Good luck!!

Thanks Sue! Have no idea if they will live very long or not but will try to do right by them since they are here. I never expected anything to come of tossing that plant into the 2 gallon,lol. I suppose if I had been really trying and fussing nothing would have.

Kathy

Yep, isn't that how life always works????? If you'd been trying to get fry you would have spend months and months waiting for eggs, then nothing would have come of them.. Now it all happened soo fast LOL

Hi Kathy,

I will be watching this for sure. I can't wait to see how everything will turn out with these little babies. Get us some pics when you can.

Amy

Thanks Amy & Sue! I will try for pics but they are sooooo tiny I'm not sure the camera I have will pick them up. If I try to get real close even with Maco it tends to just blur. But will try once the camera is off the charger. Hoping someone stops by that can help me out with the questions I posted this morning as well.

Kathy

Edited by Kathy B

I had mine in a 2 gallon in the same water for well over a week before I did anything to the tank, and no filter at all for some time. I wouldn't advise adding a filter for a while because any water movement and swirling can damage their development and give them twisted backs. They certainly shouldn't be moved to another tank until they are older and stronger.

After I was sure all the viable eggs had hatched I started doing water changes of simply one cupful per day, replacing it with clean water very, very, very slowly. I removed waste and any uneaten food with a pipette that came with some meds. I raised mine on liquifry and hikari first bites but later changed to the powder liquifry instead of the hikari. They'll be fine with these foods for now - I would've gone with the brine shrimp had I been able to get some, as that is the best thing to feed them.

Once they are a bit bigger you could maybe add a filter, but as long as you keep removing the waste and changing a small amount of water every other day or so (that's what I did anyway) they will be ok for now. Likewise I only had the tank about 6 inches full, until they were older, then for every cup of water I removed I added two to gradually raise the water level over a week or so.

I must've done something right because I've got 25 left out of 100 or so and they are all turning out very pretty and strong :)

Thanks lclayton! Appreciate the input. I'm really flying blind on this one. Never had newborn fish before. Puppies/kittens are more my forte,lol.

Kathy

Well,had to cull a baby today. Think it was #5 that was so "now you see it now you don't". Finally got a decent look at them this morning. Not only was it smaller than the other four but had a noticable curve to it's back midspine. The other four are looking good so far and active.

Kathy

You're welcome.

Here's my 'diary', of sorts: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=66328, and later: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...c=69173&hl=

I have never culled a single one of my babies. I considered it, some people told me I should because they would die eventually anyway, but a few months later and some of the ones that I almost culled are amongst my biggest and strongest fish. But my fish are just mutts and not even fancies, they're destined for the same pond their parents are going in tomorrow. Not until next summer though.

Anyway, I had no idea what i was doing either and asked some very dumb sounding questions, so don't worry about asking :)

I was wondering if it would be harmful to put a couple of 2 week old mystery snail babies in with the fry to help clean up leftover food in between my being able to clean the bottom? The snail babies are really tiny.

Kathy