Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rocmills

It's Luc's Time

I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear, but I fear that it is time to put poor Luc out of his misery. It has been 7 months, and he is not better - in fact, he is worse and worse every day. In the last two weeks, he has developed large spots of what appears to be ich or some other cottony fungus growth all over his tail. Also for the last two weeks he has stopped behaving like a normal fish. His mouth is so swollen, he can barely eat and he seems in a constant state of franticness; he darts around the tank, crashing and bashing into the walls, the corners, the filter intake, and even out of the water to bang against the hood. He does this until exhausted, rests a bit, then starts all over. I do not believe he has any "quality of life" any longer. He is in constant distress, he has spent the last 7 months alone in a 20 gallon tank barely big enough for his size, he can barely eat...

He did not respond to the last round of Binox treatment and he has not responded to any of the other medications. I do not go into this lightly, but I see no other choice. It is not fair to make him go on this way just because I'm squeamish about doing the right thing.

So.

I have a 3-gallon bucket and a 1-ounce bottle of Clove Oil (can get more if necessary), but I am unsure how to do this. I hope one of you here can council me on the proper application and procedure. Remember that Luc is a very large fish, body at least as big as my whole hand.

--Roc

I am so sorry...

I have a shubunkin with mouth problem right now...

Sorry I don't know anything about clove oil, don't now if it's available in Sweden.

I have no input but I just want to say I am so sorry that he's not getting any better. I've been following your thread and hoping that he was going to make it. Whenever I see an improvment I get excited for you and Luc and whenever I see him getting worse it breaks my heart. I've got tears in my eyes. I know how hard you've tried . You've put so much work and dedication into helping him.. And for such a long time... I can't believe he has fought this long and I am amazed by what you've done.

Here is Koko's Article on the subject of euthanization:

Euthanizing Fish

Clove Oil and Tank Water Method

Buy pure clove oil. You can get it at a health food store for under $10 for a ? ounce bottle. Put the fish in a medium sized mixing bowl in his own water from his tank. In a small jar or something with a lid (I use a cleaned out jelly jar) mix the clove oil with tank water. Put the lid on and shake it like crazy over and over until the liquid in it is white. Then pour a little into the mixing bowl with the fish. Swirl it with your hand. The fish might fight it just a little bit and then slow down. Then pour a little more in and swirl again. He should just go to sleep and appear dead. If he doesn't, try a little more of the clove solution, always shaking very well before an addition to the bowl. When he goes to sleep, leave him in the solution for a good 10 minutes and then put him in a small cup or zip-lock baggie and put him in the freezer. Pain free death. Very humane. We should all go so easily.

Clove Oil and Vodka DON'T USE!!!!

The clove oil and vodka method is often sited as a humane method of fish euthanasia. Clove oil (eugenol) is used as an anesthetic in fish for surgery. The vodka is used to disperse the clove oil in the water. The clove oil/vodka mixture is placed in water and then the fish is added and supposedly dies peacefully. This doesn't work! Use the clove oil and tank water method described above.

Edited by lynda441

I had to use the clove oil/tank water method not long ago, it appeared to be a very peaceful end for my fish. It's never an easy thing to do, but you need to do what's humaine for your fish :(

I have read the article Lynda quoted, but my problem is with that question mark. Was it there by mistake? Should it read 1 ounce or 2 ounce or 200 ounce? I think I should buy another bottle just to be on the safe side.

--Roc

No, you don't need another bottle. You only need a few drops. The dose for euthanasia is twelve drops per gallon of water. Shake the twleve drops in a smaller quantity of water in a jar, then pour it into a bucket and stir to mix with the rest of the water. The fish will turn on its side, then gill movement will stop. Leave the fish for about ten minutes after gill movement stops.

I am so sorry that it has come to this for Luc. You have been a wonderful fish mom to him and I am sure you are doing the right thing now.

I'm so sorry to hear about this.

Did I remember correctly that you had a vet? Is it too late or is he still with us?

I was going to recommend that you take him there to be euth'd - that way they could do a proper path report on what he is suffering from, which may help protect your other fish. As the meds have been unsuccessful it would be good to know.

It must be done within minutes of death for the pathogens to be succesfully identified.

Never herd of method without using vodka however i have never had problems plus i have always used less vodka then stated. i euthanised my betta with it without problem.

Far as i know clove oil isnt soluble in water especially stuff we get here in UK. Try mixing clove oil direct with tank water with what we have availble all the clove oil remains sat on surface of water like an oil slick

Edited by Blue

Never herd of method without using vodka however i have never had problems plus i have always used less vodka then stated. i euthanised my betta with it without problem.

Far as i know clove oil isnt soluble in water especially stuff we get here in UK. Try mixing clove oil direct with tank water with what we have availble all the clove oil remains sat on surface of water like an oil slick

Actually, it really doesn't sit on top of the water like an oil slick. If you shake the water with the clove oil (like in a jar) it will make a cloudy solution that will stay mixed for several hours. I think that using vodka makes the method less humane for the fish.

Kristen is correct, it does not act like true oil when mixed with water.

Pixie, it would have cost me nearly a hundred bucks - possibly more - to take Luc in to Drs. Sulliban. We just can't afford that right now. But I know that if something like this happens again, I wont waste 6 months and hundred of dollars trying to fix it myself, I'll take the fish straight to Aloha and bring the vet in immediately.

I sat on the floor next to the bucket, with my hand in the water petting him while hubby poured the solution in. It was quiet and calm, he just slowed down and stopped.

There was much crying and sobbing and apologizing. Afterwards, we put Luc in the backyard with Fred and Ethel The First, the founding goldfish of our collection.

I want to thank everyone here, once again, for all the love and support and caring and advice and patience and friendship. Luc didn't suffer for nothing... he brought me here and into this wonderful group where I've made distant friends I hope to have for some time.

--Roc

:cry1:cry1:cry1 I am sorry.

You did your absolute best for him and obviously he was suffering the way things were. I am glad you were able to send him off to sleep quietly.

I just couldn't bring myself to reply here :cry1:cry1

I'm sorry. So very sorry. Luc was so special, so huge and beautiful and you tried so hard and struggled and cared so much. I know how hard this was for you :hug

It's done now. Luc is resting somwhere safe and calm and in no pain.

Bless you for your love, he knew it.

:heart:heart:heart

I don't even know what to say. Picturing you sitting next to him and petting him. It's a sad situation but such a comforting way for him to go. I am so proud of you for the way you've handled everything. We haven't talked much on this board, but I have seen you a few times. And been reading every detail about Luc. You've done so much that most people would never do. You and him have been through so much. And as sad as it is, you were able to do the right thing for him, even though it must have broken your heart. That takes such strength that I'm not sure I would have.. Your post brought me to tears. A mix of sadness, but also happiness knowing that you cared so much, and that you both fought so hard. I'm so sorry that it came to this. You were amazing with him.

Rest in peace Luc. You will be missed very much. **hugs***

:cry1 What a sad time this is for you - and all of us who shared the highs and lows that Luc's story has brought us through. Like Trinket said - he knows how much you love him, and now he's pain, stress, and injury free. I hope you can find comfort knowing that, even though it doesn't always make things easier right away. :k055: Love is undying - and he still loves you, too.

You did so much for him. Your constant battles of ups and downs. You have nothing to feel guilty for - nothing to apologize for. Your strength is amazing, and we all here have learned much about dedication through your struggles. We are all so very grateful that you found Koko's, and made a home here. :hug

Loss is never easy for those who have a heart. Yours will mend in time. :tou

:rip: Rest in Peace, Luc, you gorgeous fish - who encouraged us all to keep trying. Your fight is over, and you are now at peace with the source of True Love.

God Bless you...

Debbie