Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sheep

A Few Tank Questions... Mhm.

When I started with my current goldie, I already had the 10 gallon tank and filter second-handed from my older brother's feeder fish he left with his cichlid(before my dad released the poor thing into a river and I found a home for the remaining 3-4 common goldfish). I had done a good bit of reading before buying my young girl and even printed out papers(some I think from Koko's, I don't remember) and gone over them several times, carrying them with me in my school folder and even teaching my older teacher a thing or two!

I knew what I needed, but it was a matter of GETTING those things. Here I am about 4 months down the road and my only improvements are 1) I removed the 'gravel', it was painted and the paint was peeling into the water. Toeby also got one stuck in her mouth once.. 2) I just recently got a lid with lights!

I still need a thermostat.. and probably a test kit.

I have to go over my list again, but what I'm looking for is a new filter when I upgrade. The current one is weak, even for the ten gallon, and doesn't do well. The siphen can't reach but little over half-way down the side and it's not stong enough to pick much up from the very bottom or other sides(I've gotten to where I change the side it's on every now and then).

I need a suggestion for a good filter suitable to keep a 29 gallon decent but not so strong it sucks my little fishies in!

I'm also extremely curious about this cycling business. I wasn't aware of such a thing before I started coming here.

I've read two sites with instructions and I'm slightly confused as to what fish I should use to cycle my 29g when I get it.. and what I should do exactly.

It may be the fact I haven't slept, but the steps are like a foreign language..

Mmm, and there's something else. I'm worried a little about our water. We have no chlorine in our water, but we do have a lot of sulfur. Could this be harmful in any way? We have enough that I can smell it on rags, in bath water, etc. If I had the space or buckets etc. I'd let it set.. but I'm limited with resources, eh. Cheap-o parents..

LAST ONE.. before I sleep: do you preffer your tanks bare-bottomed or with gravel/rocks?

Mine's mostly bare.. but I have glass marbles and pebbles that I picked from the discarded gravel. Toeby seems to enjoy rolling them, though they're a bit heavy for her..

If this isn't in the right forum, please let me know?

Thank you for your patience with me..

(I'm still long-winded.)

Hello :)

You're doing a good thing, reading up on all the information you can find! I'll see what I can do to answer your questions. :D

For a thermostat, they sell plastic ones that will adhere to the side of your tank. They're fairly accurate, and not very expensive.

A test kit is a MUST! You always need to know where your water parameters are at, since the water is the fish's whole environment. We take care of the water, and the water takes care of the fish!

A drop test kit is best. API sells on that has tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Some people also get KH and GH test kits. This is helpful because if you should have trouble cycling your tank, most likely these are low.

As for a filter, there are many to choose from and are probably a matter of preference. The most important thing to keep in mind is to have at LEAST 10 times the filtration than the gallons of water in the tank. Your 29 gallon will need at least 290 gph (gallons per hour) filtration.

Cycling is a very important part of the tank, and can be very stressful for the fish. Personally, I would recommend a fishless cycle before putting any fish in a tank. This is done with plain ammonia, containing no dyes or sudsing agents.

Directions for that can be found here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/FishlessCycle.html If you have any questions, you can always ask. :exactly

When cycling is new, all of the information seems overwhelming. Keep reading it over and over, and it'll start to make sense. I know it took me a while before I understood it myself. :rolleyes:

I don't know if regular sulphur is removed with a water treatment, like Prime, Amquel, etc. Maybe someone with more experience there can chime in with their thoughts on that. :unsure: I don't think it would be removed by leaving it out in buckets, though. I believe that would just evaporate the chlorine.

My tank was barebottom with a few flat marbles, so that's fine for the fish. It actually makes the cleaning so much easier, because you don't need to get down into the gravel. Just push the marbles around. :D

Toby is a beautiful fish! I wish you luck with the new tank, and feel free to ask any questions you may have as your new tank is coming along!!

Debbie

had done a good bit of reading before buying my young girl and even printed out papers(some I think from Koko's, I don't remember) and gone over them several times, carrying them with me in my school folder and even teaching my older teacher a thing or two!

Good job! :clapping:

I need a suggestion for a good filter suitable to keep a 29 gallon decent but not so strong it sucks my little fishies in!

I've had a lot of success with Aquaclear filters. They are affordable and you can put a lot of media in them. For a 29 gallon tank you'd need to get one that's recommended for a much larger tank, in order to get good gph turn over (sorry, but I don't remember which model has what power right now......it's early in the morning here :P ). Then when you get your new filter, you can take the media from the one you have and add it, hopefully that will help establish the cycle. As for the strength and sucking your fish in, you can put some sponge or a piece of mesh over the intake to keep anyone from getting sucked up. You can also provide some ornaments or plants to help break up the current so your fish have a place to hang out.

I've read two sites with instructions and I'm slightly confused as to what fish I should use to cycle my 29g when I get it.. and what I should do exactly.

Yes, it can be very confusing hey?? Personally, I don't believe in people using fish just to cycle tanks, I think it's a bit cruel. You have a 10 gallon tank now correct? If it's cycled (you need to get a test kit and start checking on that) you may be able to get a 29 gallon cycled very quickly. As I mentioned, you'd transfer the media from your filter over to the new filter. You can also put any gravel/ornaments from the old tank in there. All of these things should be coated with the good bacteria you need that keep the cycle going. Have you read this, btw? http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

As for the sulfer, I'm not sure. I know Prime has some in it, you can sure smell it when you open the bottle. I'm sure someone else can answer that question.

And I prefer bare bottom! I went from having gravel, to river stones, to just a few rocks that I have now. It's MUCH easier to keep the nitrates down and keep the tank clean in general.

The Aquaclears are great filters, and as Chrissy_Bee stated, you can pack a LOT of filter media into them. I find that you don't even have to use Aquaclear brand media because of the design: you just stack/pile/cram it all in there. The aquaclear 70 does 300 GPH, which is appropriate for a 29 gallon goldfish tank. An other great filter is the Penguin 350 (350 GPH), which is inexpensive and very popular. You can find filters online at great prices at sites such as bigalsonline.com or drsfostersmith.com.

I prefer partial-barebottom: no gravel, but scattered river rocks and potted plants instead.

For a thermostat, they sell plastic ones that will adhere to the side of your tank. They're fairly accurate, and not very expensive.

Oh, I actually just got one today!

The temp is about 74. :)

A test kit is a MUST! You always need to know where your water parameters are at, since the water is the fish's whole environment. We take care of the water, and the water takes care of the fish!

A drop test kit is best. API sells on that has tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Some people also get KH and GH test kits. This is helpful because if you should have trouble cycling your tank, most likely these are low.

I'll definately have to look for one, then.

I'm not sure what API stands for?

If I can't order one, I can search nnnn on my next visit.

The most important thing to keep in mind is to have at LEAST 10 times the filtration than the gallons of water in the tank. Your 29 gallon will need at least 290 gph (gallons per hour) filtration.

I don't know the GPH for the filer I have now, I'll have to look into that one. But when I go shopping, I'll let mom know everything I need!(I'll also pick out a filter, then, and something to protect fishies from the suction! x3)

Personally, I would recommend a fishless cycle before putting any fish in a tank. This is done with plain ammonia, containing no dyes or sudsing agents.

Directions for that can be found here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/FishlessCycle.html If you have any questions, you can always ask. :exactly

I think I have read over that one before, but I'll do a go-over several more times until I get it~!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then when you get your new filter, you can take the media from the one you have and add it, hopefully that will help establish the cycle.

Media?

Yes, it can be very confusing hey?? Personally, I don't believe in people using fish just to cycle tanks, I think it's a bit cruel. You have a 10 gallon tank now correct? If it's cycled (you need to get a test kit and start checking on that) you may be able to get a 29 gallon cycled very quickly. As I mentioned, you'd transfer the media from your filter over to the new filter. You can also put any gravel/ornaments from the old tank in there. All of these things should be coated with the good bacteria you need that keep the cycle going. Have you read this, btw? http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

I did have an ornament in the tank at one point, but it had these holes in it for smaller fish and it was very difficult to clean.. I gave most of the old stuff away, though(a pointy ship and some pointy, stiffish plants. They worried me, what with Toeby's eyes) with the remaining commons when I found them a better home.

Maybe a few marbles from the bottom would work to transfer bacteria if my current tank is cycled?

I won't know much until I get my kit... ..

As for the sulfer, I'm not sure. I know Prime has some in it, you can sure smell it when you open the bottle. I'm sure someone else can answer that question.

Really? It can't be too bad.. Hopefully someone will know more about this one.

And I prefer bare bottom! I went from having gravel, to river stones, to just a few rocks that I have now. It's MUCH easier to keep the nitrates down and keep the tank clean in general.

I didn't know this, yay. :D

I got rid of gravel a few weeks after getting my goldie, but I've mentioned already WHY I did. xD

It is much easier.. I don't think mom would bother buying a vaccume for me, though. She's not very supportive with me and my fish. D:

Thanks, again, guys! You're wonderful. x)

I'm not sure what API stands for?

API stands for American Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

I don't know the GPH for the filer I have now, I'll have to look into that one. But when I go shopping, I'll let mom know everything I need!(I'll also pick out a filter, then, and something to protect fishies from the suction! x3)

If your filter has its name printed on it, i.e., Penguin Bio-wheel 100, you can look it up online and it should say what the gph is. Sometimes the number the filter includes in the name is the gph, but not always. Wish it were.

Personally, I would recommend a fishless cycle before putting any fish in a tank. This is done with plain ammonia, containing no dyes or sudsing agents.

I too am wholeheartedly in favor of fishless cycling. It can be sooo confusing, I know I was completely confused about it, but yeah, reading it over and over and over, that's what I did... it will eventually sink in.

Media?

Media is an all-encompassing name for anything that is put into the filter to control the ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and catch waste.

I don't think mom would bother buying a vaccume for me, though. She's not very supportive with me and my fish. D:

Well, a vacuum makes cleaning so much easier if you have gravel, but if you have a bare bottom, you don't really need one. That's the good thing about bare bottoms.

If you don't get a vaccum and you go bare bottom, you can get a turkey baster to get anything that might be kicking around the bottom of your tank :)

To add to Lynda441's explanation of filter "media"... I generally think of it as the sponges and other items inside the filter. As well as catching debris, the media is important because it serves as the home of your good bacteria that keep the cycle of your tank going, and preventing ammonia and nitrites from building up and becoming harmful.

There are other kinds of filter media besides sponges.... bioballs, little plastic pieces, ceramic things.... LOL as you can tell, I don't really have much expierience with the other forms of media.

I would also recommend fishless cycling. Stick some media from your existing tank into the new filter on the new tank, add ammonia, and let the bacteria grow! Using old media and gravel helps speed a fishless cycle up SO MUCH!!!

Good luck with Tobey! :D It's awesome that you're getting this information early! :thumbs: