Sign in to follow this  
Guest Corrie

Sinking Pellet That Does Not Fall Apart Or Cloud The Water

68 posts in this topic

Guest Corrie

That's about it.

Can you guys suggest a sinking pellet that stays together, does not make a big mess, or cloud the water.

I'm going to be running barebottom with a lot of flow, and see no sense in cleaning food out of the filter fluff in the sump.

There are lots of very good sinking goldfish pellets that do not cloud the water. But if you are only going to feed ONE food, you cannot go wrong with Goldfish Connection's ProGold.

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/det...=2&catId=14

Yep and as long as you dont add to much when feeding it doesnt cloud the tank, I put about 2-3 pellets for each fish and feed them two times a day, this way they dont crumble in the tank and wont cloud it either :D

Guest Corrie

daryl, you and I must not be reading the same threads.

I've read too many posts saying you can't pre-soak Progold, cause it falls apart and turns to mush.

If it mushes out that fast, it's going to make a huge mess in my tank.

Thanks Acupunk, I'll check that food out.

You dont need to soak Pro-gold, I dont soak it anymore I used to but by the time it hits the bottom of the tank all the air is out of the pellets :D

I haven't felt the need to soak the Pro-Gold I feed. And it only clouded the water when I fed waaaay too much. :unsure:

I've never had any problems with ProGold falling apart or clouding the water. Maybe my guys just eat it too fast for it to get a chance to,lol. I rotate with Omega One Sinking Goldfish Pellets,Omega One Shrimp Pellets,Omega One Veggie Rounds,Hakari Lionhead and New Life Spectrum Goldfish Formula. Not had a problem with any of it.

Kathy

Guest Corrie

I'm not going to pre-soak any pellets.

If soaking them makes them fall apart and mush out, I can only imagine what goldfish would do to them eating, chewing, and making a mess with their food like goldfish do.

This is going to be a 10ft tank. I'm not going to be able to hand feed like some 10gal.

No thank you.

Formula 1 pellets do not mush out.

I just asked a simple question, does any one know of a pellet that does not mush out?

I would agree with other posters that ProGold is a dense food that does not get mushy or cloud the water. Perhaps if you were to soak it for ten minutes, it would. I don't know about your fish, but food generally does not stay around that long in my tank. BTW, Daryl is one of the most experienced goldfish keepers around here. She is not advising you on the basis of threads she has read, but on first-hand experience.

But I do prefer the Dainichi food I posted the link to in my first response to your inquiry. It is a firm pellet, sinks well, and had a glossy coating that probably makes it more resistant to mushiness than other foods. I find that it is less apt to cause constipation than ProGold. If you are planning on keeping single tailed fish you probably won't have a problem with that one way or another.

Guest Corrie

I didn't say anything about feeding one food.

I didn't say I was going to soak them first.

I have been making and using gel foods for many decades.

I'm familiar with most foods out there and actually would prefer Spectrum, but it mushs out too.

I'm just asking if anyone knows of a sinking pellet, that holds together, that I can use as just a basic food?

Umm... perhaps I am inferring a tone that you don't intend, but why are you being so cantankerous about this?

Because we don't know you, we don't know your level of experience with goldfish. Those of us who remember your inquiry about Bristol Shubunkins would assume that you have some know-how with fish (given that you have a very large tank), but we also know that keeping and feeding goldfish is quite different from keeping and feeding marine fish.

I think we got off on the soaking track because you keep referring to mushiness. I think people are saying that most pellet foods will only get mushy IF you soak them, which we understand that you are not intending to do.

People around here are very friendly and will be happy to offer any advice that you ask for... IF you don't jump all over them and argue when they try to help.

:)

Guest Corrie

I'm not being cantankerous, I'm not jumping all over anyone, and I'm not arguing.

You guys are the ones that are doing that, and your post is a prefect example of it.

I just asked a simple question.

When I did not get an answer, when people did not read what I wrote, when people read too much into what I wrote....

.....I took the time to explain even more.

It's a simple question.

Is there a good basic pellet that holds together, that sinks, that does not turn to mush, that very large goldfish will not make a total mess out of in a barebottom tank, that I can run by the tank and feed them something right when I come in the door from work, that I won't have to sit through dinner and look at a totally crapped out tank, that I can feed them something better after I have dinner when I have more time, that I won't have to sit through dinner feeling guilty cause they are hungry and begging, that won't end up in the sump in the filter fluff making a huge mess and causing nitrates to go sky high, that will stay together all the way to their stomach?

How's that?

It's a very simple question.

Guest Corrie
Thanks Acupunk, I'll check that food out.

Great. I hope that you're pleased with it.

We will anxiously await photos of your crystal clear, clean, crud-free shubie tank. ;)

Guest Corrie

I'll look into the Dainichi and let you know.

I'm used to running barebottom systems, this one will be easy to run.

I have never had a quality food pellet foul the water, soaked or not. I do not soak the food, normally, though. I feed gel food nearly all the time - incorporating any food that I have that is not sinking, as well as many other sources of nutrition. I often use ProGold, among other things, when I need a quick easy food to feed to adult fish. ProGold also comes in a larger pellet for the larger fish - and it works well for my larger fish.

I stand by my answer. ProGold is an easily obtained, excellent food pellet that provides all around nutrition for goldfish. When fed as you describe, it will not "mush out" and foul the water.

The Dainichi is also a great food.....as are a number of other possibilities. I am sure others can come up with some of their faces.

Hikari make some really nice, high protien foods for fish, too. I have never had any of their food foul the water, either.

You will find that there are many many fish keepers here with lifetimes of experience. We have a wide variety of experiences - with foods, fish, equipment, etc. Just as many different fish keepers have different likes and dislikes in fish, we all have our choices for food and filters and tanks and water parameters and.... you name it.

We cannot read your mind. All we can do is recommend what we, ourselves, use/like. Please keep in mind that we are trying to help/befriend anyone who comes here.

Guest Corrie

daryl, it's not necessary for you to stand by your answer. I was not challenging you.

When you suggested ProGold, I said that I have read, on this forum, where people have tried to soak the ProGold pellets, and the pellets have fallen apart and turned to mush.

I don't want that kind of pellet for obvious reasons that I have stated. No need to read my mind, I keep saying the same thing over and over.

I'll try the Dainichi

Edited by Corrie

I've never had any problems with ProGold falling apart or clouding the water. Maybe my guys just eat it too fast for it to get a chance to,lol. I rotate with Omega One Sinking Goldfish Pellets,Omega One Shrimp Pellets,Omega One Veggie Rounds,Hakari Lionhead and New Life Spectrum Goldfish Formula. Not had a problem with any of it.

Kathy

I did post this but maybe I wasn't clear on my answer. I do not pre-soak any of the pellets listed above and I have not had a problem with any of them turning to mush or clouding the water. The Veggie Rounds will mush up if not eaten by morning when I put them in at night. Hope this is a bit more to the point.

Kathy

I stand by my answer. ProGold is an easily obtained, excellent food pellet that provides all around nutrition for goldfish.

If you live in America it is :(

The new food I tried this morning did not cooperate *some Dutch mumbling*

I occasionally feed my fry ProGold pellets that I do presoak. I left them sitting for about 30 mins (I forgot about them), and when I finally did get them into the tank, they still did not become mushy, break up, or cloud the water. Of course, because the fry are small they made a mess of them, pulling bits and pieces off-- but with an adult fish they would swallow them up without issue.

I frequently drop in a pinch of ProGold pellets for my 4 adult goldfish without problem. I see them in the tank all the time-- turned into poop.

I think I have to admit that I did get a batch of large size ProGold, once, that was somehow softer than normal. It was rather crumbly - and it did seem to dissolve into a pile of mess on the bottom of the tank if it was not eaten within a few minutes. I was quite dissappointed in it - and just dumped it into a batch of gel food next time I made gel. The JumpStart that came with it on that particular shipment was, also, too soft. I think that it was an aberration, though - for I have had dozens of batches since and have never had a bad one again.

Perhaps the people who had difficulties with the PRoGold got a batch that was from that one - or one similar. It was a pain to use.

:idont

Guest Corrie
I'll look into the Dainichi and let you know.

I'm going to try their Cichlid Food - Veggie Delux.

Not as low in protein as I was looking for but better than anything else I've found, and it's low in fiber.