Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paradise-Panda

Ryuka Has Dropsy

Guest Paradise-Panda

My poor beautiful fantail Ryuka has dropsy :cry1 . I just noticed this morning when i went out to check the pond. Everything i've read about dropsy says it is usually fatal, so is there anything I can do? I moved her to a ten gallon in the garage with a filter running and lots of extra airation and gave her 1/8 tsp. of epsome salt. I'm just so utterly crushed by the thought of loseing her, I feel as though this dropsy is her death sentance :( . Even though goldfish are one of my favorite fish they seem to be so prone to so many health problems! I just can't catch a break!

Go here and order metromeds

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/

Here is the direct link to metromeds:

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/det...d=9&catId=5

The epsom is good.

Gradually raise the tank temp to 80F.

Is she fully pineconed or are the scales just not flush?

Edited by Jack of Hearts

Guest Paradise-Panda

the scales are not flush, her eyes are also protruding. she has lost her appetite mostly, just picking at things and then spitting them out. will goldfish connection take visa? If so i'm ordering the meds right now

I beleive Rick Hess does take Visa :D

Also you will need Maracyn 2. From the LFS

So this fish came from out side?

Guest Paradise-Panda

Yes she lives in a 125gal pond with 3 other fancy goldfish. All 3 of them are fine with no problems or symptoms. The only maracyn I can get locally is just maracyn. I have never seen maracyn 2 personally. I have just finished my order of medigold if only she can wait for it to get here.

Iused metro-med when Sunny had dropsy, works like magic!

I have just finished my order of medigold if only she can wait for it to get here.

Not medigold. Metromeds.

Guest Paradise-Panda

sorry I meant metro-med :) . I'm so used to seeing medigold written that I just call everything that! How Long does it usually take goldfish connection to ship their goods? Seems like it would be pretty fast from such a good website :D

They ship FAST! I ordered from them one night and recieved my shipping confirmation the next day... And I got the package the day after I believe. I am in the same state though so I am sure that helps.

A few weeks ago I had to order metromeds for my fish. Whether it was dropsy I don't know, because he was not fully pineconed but he started to and his eyes bulged in the end. I had the metromeds shipped overnight, and they did make it in time, but my fish had quit eating by then. I sincerely hope you have better luck, because I know how sad it is. My fish had just had A really bad case of Ich right before so he was very weak. So hopefully your fish can fight it out and get better! I would love to see a happy ending here. I bought Maracyn II online because I had trouble finding it in my LFS too. I believe I ordered it from Big Al's.

If you can you can order it from:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...amp;pcatid=4842

The Maracyn2 is better for this problem than the regular stuff. Once you get the MetroMeds make sure you only feed him that only nothing else and feed him min 2 times a day for a min of 14 days :D

Guest Paradise-Panda

Goldfish update: sunday night Ryuka had lost all responsiveness. She lie on her side on the bottom breathing slowly. I was totaly freaking out so I asked my mom if she could think of anything at all I could do. :(

So we both went through all our fish medicine stock and finally found a tube of gel penacillin in the fridge. I held Ryuka with just her head free from the water and my mom squeezed the gel in her mouth we then put her back in the water and she would swallow it. We did this 3 times and suprisingly monday morning she was up and about! :happydance so we did the treatment monday and then this morning as well.

This morning after a 80% water change she is looking much better her abdomen is hardly swollen at all, her eyes still stick out abnormally but not as severly. the metromeds still have not arrived but our mail here is known for being slow so I bet it will be here tommarow. Should I start her on the metromeds as soon as they arrive or keep giving her the gel medicine? Now that she can swim about she hates the taste of the gel medicine and spits out as much of it as she can into the water so i'm assumiong the metromeds will taste better. I'm still worried about her but I'm so relieved she is just lieing on the bottom and has enough energy to fight me! :D

Goldfish update: sunday night Ryuka had lost all responsiveness. She lie on her side on the bottom breathing slowly. I was totaly freaking out so I asked my mom if she could think of anything at all I could do. :(

So we both went through all our fish medicine stock and finally found a tube of gel penacillin in the fridge. I held Ryuka with just her head free from the water and my mom squeezed the gel in her mouth we then put her back in the water and she would swallow it. We did this 3 times and suprisingly monday morning she was up and about! :happydance so we did the treatment monday and then this morning as well.

This morning after a 80% water change she is looking much better her abdomen is hardly swollen at all, her eyes still stick out abnormally but not as severly. the metromeds still have not arrived but our mail here is known for being slow so I bet it will be here tommarow. Should I start her on the metromeds as soon as they arrive or keep giving her the gel medicine? Now that she can swim about she hates the taste of the gel medicine and spits out as much of it as she can into the water so i'm assumiong the metromeds will taste better. I'm still worried about her but I'm so relieved she is just lieing on the bottom and has enough energy to fight me! :D

I'm glad to hear that she made it.

You should start feeding metro-med when you get it right away, I did, to my fantail and he responsed to it very quickly, his scales all lay down and the swollen is lessen the next day after I fed it metromed, the best thing about it also is that he doesn't spit out metro-med, i guess it taste good :D So i dont have to go through the trouble of picking it up and forcing it into his mouth or anything.

The problem is that if your goldfish is to small then it might be having abit problem swallowing the whole pellet,soak it first for a few minutes then feed it.

It should say on the metro-med container that don't feed it any other food except metro-med for no less than 14 days. It's a miracle

The order should arrive quickly, since i order near the end of friday, so there was Sat. and Sun. and they only work on business day, so my metro-med was ship right away on monday and i got it by tuesday.

Edited by chubbygold

Yes once the MetroMeds get there feed it as soon as possible. This stuff is amazing to help with this kind of thing. Did you get Maracyn 2 yet?

Guest Paradise-Panda

Ryuka update: I have good news and bad news. The good news is Ryuka seems to have fully recovered from her bout with dropsy. :nana I bought and treated her with maracyn 2 and continued to treat her with gel pennicillian, and eventually the swelling left and she bamae her old self. she was re released into the pond on tuesday of this week. Boy, was Momo and the gang glad to see her! :wub:

The bad news is that the medicine STILL has not gotten here and i'm begginging to think it was lost in the mail or something, if it was i'm out 17 dollers :(

I'm so glad to hear that Ryuka has recovered! I would keep a closer eye on her out in the pond. Battling dropsy makes a fish very weak and susceptible to reinfection.

Have you contacted Rick at GFC with your concern about the MetroMeds? He is a very nice guy and I'm sure would be willing to refund your purchase or send you another. (MetroMeds are a good thing to have handy.)