Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Acupunk

My Trip To Tommy's

Just got back from Dallas where I visited Tommy and his goldfish. Here are some photos.

2008-06-15-010.jpg

2008-06-15-017.jpg

He has five huge pools, each with 100-200 fancy goldfish. Everything from 10 inch long and 4 inch wide orandas, to bubble-eyes with bubbles the size of softballs (I swear), to itty-bitty little round pearlscales. I found a beautiful broadtail black moor, but one of its eyes was cloudy :( . I also found a beautiful calico telescope, but it was bigger (6 inches) than I wanted to buy.

I ended up with a jet-black ranchu, a red ranchu with black here and there, and a tiny calico ryukin (which Tommy threw in for free because my son was going to die without it). All my fish are circled in the photo below.

2008-06-15-013.jpg

Now I have gone from quite a lightly stocked tank (4 in 75 gallons) to a very full tank (7 in 75 gallons) -- just what I promised myself I wouldn't do.

I will post more photos of my new guys when they are done with QT!

:druel all those beautiful goldies!!! It must been soo fun there :rolleyes:

That was nice of him to throw in the free ryukin LOL :D

I'm drooling...that is all I have to say ;)

All those beautiful fish and you actually only came home with three,lol? Can't wait to see better pics once they are settled in.

Kathy

ooh where in dallas is he located?

maybe i'll have to stop by when i visit my sisters in dallas. :lol2

How lucky are you to be able to go to his place and hand pick your fish. Great pictures. Can't wait to see regulare side views of your new fish.

OMG. that calico butterfly-tail in the 3rd pic is soooo TDF (To Die For)

ooh where in dallas is he located?maybe i'll have to stop by when i visit my sisters in dallas. :lol2
He is in Garland, which is a northeast suburb of Dallas.
OMG. that calico butterfly-tail in the 3rd pic is soooo TDF (To Die For)
I know -- it was one of the ones that I seriously considered but I was looking for relatively small (3 inches or less) fish today.

He sounds like a cool guy giving u a freebie

Congrats on them and remember to post pics when they are settled

More photos.

Red cap oranda, anyone?

2008-06-15-006.jpg

2008-06-15-009.jpg

2008-06-15-014.jpg

I am sooooooo jealous! :D

Me want gaint orange oranda :druel :

Is that an Oranda, or a football?

Me want gaint orange oranda :druel :

Is that an Oranda, or a football?

Seriously. That fish was AT LEAST the size of a football.

2008-06-15-020.jpg

She was calling to me and begging me to take her home, but I heroically resisted (I would have had to keep her in my bathtub). Here she is again:

2008-06-15-022.jpg

I love her :heart . I always used to go for the smallest fish but the next time I get a new fish i am going to go for extra large :exactly

BUT having said that I really love the little calico your son picked out :D

CONGRATULATIONS! Thanks for sharing your visit pix, must have been really exciting seeing so many gorgeous fish :)

I love her :heart . I always used to go for the smallest fish but the next time I get a new fish i am going to go for extra large :exactly

BUT having said that I really love the little calico your son picked out :D

CONGRATULATIONS! Thanks for sharing your visit pix, must have been really exciting seeing so many gorgeous fish :)

Yes, my son has a soft-spot for very tiny fish. I kind of admire it in him because you would think a boy his age (6) would want the biggest and most impressive fish. He studied all five ponds and picked out the very smallest fish that he could find. Even with all the impressive fish that we saw, he still insists that this tiny one was his very favorite. :heart He hasn't picked out a name yet.

When we got it home I realized that it really does have gorgeous calico coloration but is very skinny. I suspect that it was getting out-competed for food with all those bigger fish. Hopefully it will put on weight fast at our house.

Tommy readily admitted that he uses the cheapest food available and still spends $20-$30 per day feeding the fish (!). Hopefully our little ryukin will fatten up fast on the premium diet that I feed.

very cool! thanks for sharing the pics of your trip. i was wondering if you could go down there and hand pick fish. did you need to call ahead and make arrangements or anything special? how were the prices, in general terms, dont need to know what you paid if you dont wanna share that info. i see a trip to garland in the near future lol! i hope your fish acclimate well to their new home and i hope that your sons fish becomes bigger than he could ever imagine.

very cool! thanks for sharing the pics of your trip. i was wondering if you could go down there and hand pick fish. did you need to call ahead and make arrangements or anything special? how were the prices, in general terms, dont need to know what you paid if you dont wanna share that info. i see a trip to garland in the near future lol! i hope your fish acclimate well to their new home and i hope that your sons fish becomes bigger than he could ever imagine.

Yes, you do need to call ahead and make arrangements. The pools are in the backyard of his residence. He is flexible and accomodating, however. I would recommend going in the morning or evening, however. We got there at 1:00 pm and it was like 100 degrees and the fish area was in the full sun. By the time we were through I was soaked with sweat and sun-burned. It would be more fun if you went at a time of day when it was less hot.

When I called initially he said that I would need to come another day if I thought I needed more than an hour and a half. I thought that seemed weird and couldn't imagine that I would need that much time. But you really do need at least an hour to look around. He follows along with you with a net and laundry basket to put the fish that you want to "short list" in. Then you can have him transfer those fish into a tank so that you can see them better and make your final selection.

Prices seem about typical for "collector quality" fish -- in the range of $125 - $150 each for the large or special ones and less than that for smaller or more common fish. I definitely got the impression that he would be open to dickering over price. I could have gotten a better deal, but at that point I was so hot that I just wanted to pay and get back into the air-conditioned car!

His contact info is: 972-530-5193 and tommy@goldfishnet.com.

Good luck!

AARAGHASGHA!~!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I think I died and went to heaven!

I want to go to Dallas!!!

That calico telescope that ManYu likes... AAAHHHHH I WANT HIM TOO!!

I'm sorry I'm sorry but those FISH. Can I call him for that telescope?

AARAGHASGHA!~!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I think I died and went to heaven!

I want to go to Dallas!!!

That calico telescope that ManYu likes... AAAHHHHH I WANT HIM TOO!!

I'm sorry I'm sorry but those FISH. Can I call him for that telescope?

Yes, it was a beautiful fish. If you called him he would probably remember the butterfly calico telescope that I was considering and ship it to you.

cool deal, thanks for the info. i for see a 2 hour drive in the near future lol. my other half said no as i read it aloud, but we shall see bwaahahhahah. that was me laughing very evil like.

good luck to you and your fish