• Whisper
    • TOP FIN
    • AquaTech
    • Cascade
    • Other

25 posts in this topic

Guest Nemo & Cynthia

So, which ones the best? And the worst?

I voted for AquaClear because I really like how adaptable their filter media is... you can cram a lot of stuff in there.

You left out Marineland Penguin and Emperor filters with biowheels. Personally I like those better because I believe they have even more versatility in filter media plus the biowheel, which is a fantastic place for the nitrosomonas and nitrospira to grow. A big downside however is the rectangular intake, which makes it near-impossible to extend/replace the intake--- with the ACs, 3/4" inner diameter tubing makes a perfect intake.

I love the Penguin filters!

The Marineland Emperor and even the smaller Penguins (The OLD style Penguin 350 is perhaps the best filter that was ever made in the history of fish keeping!) are the ones I choose to use. I have dozens of them.

Cannisters are led by Eheim.

I would stay away from whispers...it is no whisper

I vote aquaclear! My cascade aint too bad either but its not my main filter so Im not sure how good it would do by itself. For worst I would defianently vote aquatech, I use mine only for qt and it is a piece of carp! It works ok sometimes but the intake tube comes loose all the time, whenever there is a poweroutage it runs dry (well so does the cascade but i still like that one) the impeller gets stuck sometimes, it'll often draw in alot of air, its noisy, doesnt have room for alot of media, etc.

I voted Aquaclear too because of how easy it is to change the media around. The one complaint I would have on them is the intake tube is at sharp 90 degree angles where it enters the filter box. It makes it harder to clean. I also like the old-style Penguins with the adjustable flow rate and extra media baskets that were included.

Guest Ty.

I have two penguin 350b's, and I love them, I also have a older penguin 170, and that thing is a tank, its almost 7 or 8 years old, and it still runs like it did when I got it.

+1 for the marineland products.

i have to stay with top fin on this one

I voted Aquaclear because I've been using them the longest and have 3 of them running right now. I also have a Penguin, it's ok but not as fantastic as I expected it to be.

I know the Marineland Penquin Biowheel filters are excellent hob filters, but I bought one and it only worked for a short while. I bought it new from a pet store that was a 2 hour trip from my home or I would have just taken it back there. I called Marineland. Marineland clearly advertised a warranty on the box. I saved the receipt and the box, but Marineland never did honor their warranty. I received very poor customer service from them. I have not bought a Marineland product since then. :(

I don't know enough about filters in general to vote in the poll, but I can tell you that Whisper filters are deceptively named. I've lived on a major highway since I was six months old, and thought I could sleep through anything, but that dumb filter bothers even me!

man did anyone say top fin besides me!

I'm voting Emperor's cause you can adjust the bio-wheel....

Marineland Penquin Biowheel filters are the best :)

Im a Emperor and Penguin user, I had a whisper along time ago and it just wasnt as good as the Penguin. I haven't every had a problem with these 2 filters and will always use them :D

As for canisters Im with Daryl I love the Ehiem :D

I know the Marineland Penquin Biowheel filters are excellent hob filters, but I bought one and it only worked for a short while. I bought it new from a pet store that was a 2 hour trip from my home or I would have just taken it back there. I called Marineland. Marineland clearly advertised a warranty on the box. I saved the receipt and the box, but Marineland never did honor their warranty. I received very poor customer service from them. I have not bought a Marineland product since then. :(

when my biowheel filter broke we also got very poor customer service, we called their customer service but it said to leave a message and they'd get back to u...well we left a message and never heard from them

Guest Danicole

I voted aquaclear. I hate the ones that have pre-made cartridges for them since they always have carbon(which I don't use unless I need it to take out meds, which I haven't had to use in years) I usually just end up running them with nothing in them or with filter floss which makes you have to watch it like a hawk so it doesn't overflow. Plus the aquaclears let you use media the way you would in a canister filter, you can customize which you use and which you don't. I like that about them! Other than the penguins and aquaclears, though, I don't remember any other brands I have used, so I can't comment on them :)

I voted other because I am a marineland penquin biowheel fan myself

I voted other because I like the Marineland Biowheel filters, the 350 one. I bought an aquaclear once and returned it because it was way too noisy.

As for canisters, I have a Rena xp3. I think its working out for me. Although I have no experience with any other canisters.

Guest Danicole

Your aquaclear was noisy? I've never had one I can hear unless it is just starting to get water into the tubes. After it si primed well it always goes away though.

:( ...I don't see Penguin...I love Penguin... I guess AquaClear is the next best...

Your aquaclear was noisy?

Yes, it was really loud. Maybe it was just defective. It was the one that says for tanks up to 80 gallons.

I've had aquaclears get noisy after they've acciedently been run dry or when they get really old, but typically they're quiet.

:thumbup: Aquaclear!! I have THREE AQ110s & I REALLY like them! I like the big tank so you can stuff in whatever you want in there, It is a good, strong filter. It is easy to maintain!

I kinda wish they'd re-design that little intake strainer. I have re-designed mine, but it would be nice if they'd work on improving it themselves!

But over all the Aquaclear is a work horse!!