Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Desiree

Goldfish First Aid Kit

Hello everyone! I wasn't sure where to post this, so I apologize if this isn't quite the right place. I am thinking of compiling a first aid kit of sorts as a precaution for if my future fish get sick (that is, if my fishless cycle ever cycles... :ignore ) Anyway, in the past, I was caught on several occassions without the right meds or money to treat my fish properly, and mail order can take a while so I want to be prepared! So, my question is... if you were to compile such a kit, what products do you feel would be beneficial to keep on hand at all times?

Guest Nemo & Cynthia

I would have MetroMed Parasite Food, API Melafix, and PraziQuantel.

Prazi

Maracyn

Maracy II

Aquarium salt

Medi Gold

Jungle Fungus Clear

Jungle Parasite Clear

Dimilin

Thanks for the great suggestions!!! :heart Keep 'em coming!!!

Kordon's Permoxyn is good to have as well. =D

What does that treat? :) I'm not familiar with it...

And sadly, probably clove oil ought to be on your list as well. :(

Permoxyn is potassium permanganate. You can dilute it and use it to nuke tanks and filters that are infected with nasties or swab it on local fungal or bacterial infections. You can also use it as a bath treatment for your fish, but that is serious business and not something that I would try.

I also have Bio-Bandage in my first aid kit. Its label says that it is a combination of neomycin and proprietary vitamin-polymer formula. It is a gel that you apply directly to injuries on the body or fins. The label says that tissue will start to regrow within 24 hours. I have not yet had occasion to use it.

And sadly, probably clove oil ought to be on your list as well. :(

Yeah, probably... I've never used that method before. Hope I won't need to any time soon. :(

Permoxyn is potassium permanganate. You can dilute it and use it to nuke tanks and filters that are infected with nasties or swab it on local fungal or bacterial infections. You can also use it as a bath treatment for your fish, but that is serious business and not something that I would try.

Ahh, PP! I've heard of that! :)

I also have Bio-Bandage in my first aid kit. Its label says that it is a combination of neomycin and proprietary vitamin-polymer formula. It is a gel that you apply directly to injuries on the body or fins. The label says that tissue will start to regrow within 24 hours. I have not yet had occasion to use it.

Ooh, I want to get that!!! Where did you find it?

As serious as it may be, it is still worth having, especially when the usual bacterial/parasite treatment isnt working in your and the fish's favor. What I like about Permoxyn is that it is already in liquid form and there are clear directives on how to use it for disinfection and fish treatment. So far, I obtained very satisfying results.

WHERE can you get some of that stuff? Permoxyn/PP I mean. I have looked seriously everywhere.

I got it from Drs. Foster & Smith. I also saw it at the local water garden store, but their price was much higher.

I keep extra waterconditioner and food (free samples that I got) and a whole bunch of meds like a little bit of maracyn 2 left over, pimafix, melafix, the antifungal med from jungle, praztastic, salt, jungle antibacterial food, geltek medicated food, and I think there was more but I cant remember right now.

Edited by Shamu23

I all ready have API salt on hand. Is there a difference between regular API salt and epsom salt? Also, I want to make sure I've covered my bases for any illnesses that may come up... So far, I'm going to be ordering the following:

Prazi (Fluke tx)

Dimlin (Lice & Anchor worm tx)

Medi Gold (Antibacterial food)

Metro Meds (Antibacterial food)

Melafix (Bacterial tx)

Pimafix (Bacterial tx)

Permoxyn (To clean equipment or wipe out parasites)

Biobandage (Sounds like a good idea!)

Anyone familiar with Formalin? Or Clout? I've used Nox-Ich in the past, and it was effective, but I can't find it now. Is there another ich treatment that is effective? As for bacterial tx, I've used Maracyn and Jungle Tabs in the past and I'm sure they are great products, but unfortunately, neither were effective in my case. I think I'll give Pima/Melafix a try this time... In the past, I've dealt with treating swim bladder issues, ich, and dropsy... I guess I'm lucky those are the only illnesses I've had to deal with... So, aside from those concerns, I really don't know what else to be prepared for...

It's been almost 2 years since I've had goldfish, and I just really want to make sure I'm prepared... (maybe it's the repressed girl scout in me!) ***sorry to be such a nuisance***

Am I missing anything?

Yes, there is a difference between salt and epsom salt. You can get epsom salt in a drug store with the ace bandages and stuff. It comes in one pound bags.

The best cure for ich is 0.3% salt. It will wipe out the ich post-haste and won't harm your biological filter or dye your sealant like Nox-Ich does.

Hmm.... Fishy first aid kit eh? Lemme go dig mine out so that I can list what all I have.

*runs to the supply room*

Allright, I have:

Maracyn Plus

Aquarium salt

Epsom salt

Easy Balance

Nitra-Zorb

MelaFix

Trisulfa

Maracyn

Maracyn-Two

Maracyn-TC

Prime

And of course my box full of parts for filters, tubing, brass connectors, spare filter media, extra bulbs, etc., and my water test kit.

Make sure you check your meds from time to time to make sure they are not out of date. Nothing worse than needed to use a med in the middle of the night only to find out your supply is expired.

The best cure for ich is 0.3% salt. It will wipe out the ich post-haste and won't harm your biological filter or dye your sealant like Nox-Ich does.

Would that be epsom salt or API? Yeah, I hated how Nox-Ich turned my tank dark blue... It always looked so strange.

Aquarium salt, doesn't matter the brand. :)

The only thing I used Epsom salt for is Dropsy and you can feed a bit in a pea to cause their bowels to move if you think they are getting all packed up.

Ahh, I see. Thanks! :)

aquarium salt

epsom salt

PraziPro

Maracyn 1 & 2

Parasite Clear

Fungus Clear

Clove Oil

Melafix

KH/GH water hardness test kit

Freshwater Master test kit

I have had to use all of these meds at one point in time, just be sure to check expiration dates and throw out old meds. I highly recommend keeping Clove Oil on hand. It is really the most gentle way to put a fish at rest. I got mine at a health food store (GNC) for about $6.

Desiree, Pimafix & Melafix really won't work effectively against tough cases of bacterial infection. They are very mild meds, used to treat mild fin rot and such. :)

Melissa, talk about a box of equipment...I have all my goodies in a wide 3drawer cart on wheels! You know those plastic jobs you can get at wallyworld? Man it's stuffed to the gills. (pun intended) ;)

Permoxyn...I am gonna go order that right now!!

Hmmm... looks like I'll pick up some Maracyn I & II then. Thanks for all the great suggestions!!! :)

This was really helpful for me also! I asked a similar question a few weeks ago, but there was a much better response on here. I think I have everything you guys listed and it's all been bought in the last few weeks so I feel very prepared. Here's my questions. How can you tell when certain things that don't have expirations on the bottle are good until? I know the Maracyn products have expirations on them. As does the Melafix. But what about stuff like Prazi, Dimilin, Permoxyn etc? I just recently got my Medi-Gold and Metro-Meds so I have just been storing them in the fridge and am going to label them with the purchase date. My first aid kit is packed to the brim right now. Let's hope I don't have to use it anytime soon!

Edited by CountryLovah

I was told that storing Metromeds in the refrigerator will SHORTEN their shelf life! Store them in a cool, dry place.