Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lantern567

Fish In Their Pond!

We put the fish in the pond yesterday - pH and temp were the same as their tank, and they didn't seem too upset. They seemed to like the green plastic tables in the center for hiding, and also ventured out a bit to explore. I fed them in a plastic dish near their tables, and they found it right away, and ate it all up. This morning I went out into the pond to put food in their dish, and they weren't as friendly as they were in their tank, but they did swim around me a bit. And of course they ate every bite!

Here's the pond:

post-14551-1213020913_thumb.jpg

This morning there was some peculiar behavior at the waterfall. For all appearances, one fish appears to be trying to jump up the waterfall. Picture salmon going upstream to spawn. The other fish do go under the waterfall and stay there for a bit also, but do not try to jump. They do all swim about the pond as well, but the waterfall seems to attract the most interest.

This all makes me worry that the water (78 degrees) is too hot and there is not enough oxygen in the water, except for the waterfall area. But no fish are gasping at the surface. Right under the waterfall it ought to be well oxygenated, so why does one jump? And they do swim and poke about otherwise.

Here is a picture of cavorting under the waterfall:

post-14551-1213021993_thumb.jpg

The one who is jumping is my old, rescue fish that spent 5 years in a fish bowl. So maybe there is some impairment from long nitrate exposure. He is a male fish, as he had pronounced breeding stars this spring - is it possible that this is related to breeding? The others are babies and maybe have no interest yet?

The area will be shaded by noon-time, in fact shade covers some of the pond already by 10:15. We have one more day of near-record-breaking temperatures (91), then we should be back in the 70's.

If the water temp goes too high, should I try to change the water? And what is too high? Or do I really need to consider a bubbler also? Could this be the same bubbler that I put in the pond for over-wintering?

Could he just be enjoying the new game of splash in the fountain?? :D

I know parasites can make a fish jump but since it is right in the fountain it seems like he is just trying out the new attractions! When I first introduced a long bubble wand my fish spent the first few months riding those bubbles. Now they ignore it :blink:

Congrats on getting your fish rehomed, I bet they are so happy. It looks lovely. Will you try feed them in teh same place every time?

I do hope they are just having fun! :bath

They look like they are just playing, but I'm not a fish (oh, Trinket, you are a fish, so maybe you know better :) .)

I will definitely keep an eye on the fish and the temperature.

My thought is to feed them in the same spot, in their dish. This is near the middle of the pond - I have to wade in to do it. The idea is to not associate the side of the pond with feeding, just in case a raccoon gets any ideas. They really love the Pro-Gold sinking pellets, but maybe at some point I will try something that floats, and throw it into the middle. But I so miss being mobbed and nibbled by my hungry little ones, when I'd feed them in the tank.

In their tank, they had some little terra-cotta plant saucers that I put food in. In the pond, I've scaled up in size - a large plastic terra-cotta colored plant saucer. Having fed them there only once, yesterday afternoon, they came right over this morning when I went in the pond, and ate their goodies immediately. :feedme

I would jump into a waterfall on a hot day, too!!! They should be getting plenty of aeration with that waterfall. They look so happy. Congratulations lantern--- a job well done!

Maybe he's getting ready for a hot date that you're not aware of. Watch out if he starts combing his dorsal fin, coz if so he might be off soon and wont be back in time for his curfew (in which case you'd have to give him pond arrest for a week or something).

(Man, and Quasi/Miki complains that she has far too much imagination :blink: )

Guest Nemo & Cynthia
Maybe he's getting ready for a hot date that you're not aware of. Watch out if he starts combing his dorsal fin, coz if so he might be off soon and wont be back in time for his curfew (in which case you'd have to give him pond arrest for a week or something).

(Man, and Quasi/Miki complains that she has far too much imagination :blink: )

LOL. :blink::rofl

The fish in my stock tank play salmon in the river in the filter output. A few months ago one of them got a little too excited and jumped out and spent the day in the sun on my patio. :( I was able to temporarily resuscitate him, but he eventually died a week later due to the stress of the experience. I can't tell from your photo if your pond is set up such that fish jumping in the waterfall could end up outside the pond. If so, you might try to rearrange things to keep them safe.

Sounds like they are loving life in the pond! It is so beautiful.

great job! they do look great in there. maybe they just think that its the biggest bubbler in the world that you just gave them. expect them to be giving you presents soon too lol

Wow your pond turned out fantastic! Congrats on a job well done! :clapping: