Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dfernandez77

Yes! They Are Dunderheads

So I have three dunderhead goldfish, Tinko (Ranchu), Charlie (Oranda), and Ferrero (Spherical Pygmy Ryukin).

I've called them dunderheads before. Yet some kinder souls here have decried the label as misdirected - or perhaps even cruel. I finally have proof of their dunderheadedness. Well, at least for the dunderheadedness of Charlie.

It begins with me trying to provide Ferrero with a nice place to sleep. You see, Tinko and Charlie have taken over the "quiet box." In the quiet box there is a little respite from the current created by the Fluval 405 canister tornado... erm... filter.

Here's the pic HsiHou took that provides evidence of how Tinko and Charlie sleep:

2008-06-0201-45-52800.jpg

This leaves no place for poor little Ferrero to hide from the current and rest. So today I decide to put a glass in the tank in the corner where Ferrero does his sleep swimming.

So I put the glass on it's side. In less that 10 minutes Charlie had swum into the glass. He was stuck! Well, actually not stuck. He was just too foolish to figure out that if he backed up he would be free. After watching him fiercely struggle to swim through the bottom of the glass - then lay defeated in the cup, huffing and puffing - I got a bright idea.

I lifted the cup, and poured the "stuck" dunderhead into the tank. Still determined to give Ferrero a quiet spot I got another bright idea. I put the cup back in, this time in the usual, open end up, position for a cup.

Surely, there couldn't be a fish so stupid as to cram his head straight down in a cup and get stuck.

Surely, even if there was a fish so stupid, said fish would soon tire of battling to swim straight down into the bottom of a cup. Then this very foolish fish should kind of drift up out of the cup and be free.

Well...

Here's Charlie, head down in a cup - with Ferrero standing by looking concerned:

20080608-225500_800.jpg

Tinko swimming past in the background sees the drama, and pauses with an incredulous stare:

20080608-225449_800.jpg

Here Tinko comes over to confirm that what she thought she saw is really true:

20080608-225418_800.jpg

So Tinko verified it, and I submit the evidence to you as well. I had to lift the cup, and once again pour Charlie the dunderhead Oranda back into the tank. And, yes, remove the offending vessel once and for all.

Aiyah!

TFR4B.gif

the silly willy! :rofl2

i would never have thought he'd get stuck!

swim in yes,

but get stuck?! :blink::unsure::rolleyes:

Ha ha ha!!!!

You're fish are too funny!! :rofl

Ferrero really does look concerned :o Does he spend a lot of time alongside Charlie? :hi5 Or maybe he was just concerned that they once again took his place :unsure:

:rofl

Thanks, that made my morning!!!

Guest Nemo & Cynthia
:slicedbread:tomuch::popcorn:rofl:lol1 That is so funny!

Oh dear heavens,this had me cracking up! Poor Charlie. It's a good thing he's very handsome since brains seem to be a bit on the light side.84.gif

Kathy

maybe he's one of those fish who truly does have a 3 second memory, and forgot the way he came in? lol

That is so weird that he is able to manage the quiet box but not the glass?! Those are hilarious pictures.

A few months ago I tried putting a large goldfish bowl in my tank as a feeding spot and quiet sleeping spot. I eventually removed it because all my fish would end up stuck inside, swimming round and round looking confused and flustered.

That is too funny :D Maybe it was the design of the glass? Perhaps Charlie just wanted to swim through what looked to him like bubbles.

:rofl that is so cute! I still cant believe how fast Charlie has grown! He's done about 3 times as much growing as my fish and in less than half the time! Well except Frodo, he's growing nicely but still not that fast!

thats a great story and some great pics of some good looking fish

Ferrero really does look concerned :o Does he spend a lot of time alongside Charlie?
Well, actually Ferrero spends a lot of time getting run over by Charlie, and spun off head over tail in a twirl. Charlie's wen has overgrown his right eye, and it seems he doesn't believe what he sees through his left eye. So he spends a lot of time bumping off things and bowling over Ferrero.

If anything, you'd think Ferrero would be pleased to have the blundering battering ram disabled.

That is so weird that he is able to manage the quiet box but not the glass?!
Charlie can still turn around in the box. I wonder what will happen when Charlie gets too big to turn around in there. Hehe!
That is too funny :D Maybe it was the design of the glass? Perhaps Charlie just wanted to swim through what looked to him like bubbles.
Since he can't see well, I think he just blundered into the cup when it was on it's side. That doesn't explain the swimming down into it though.

*sigh*

If anything, you'd think Ferrero would be pleased to have the blundering battering ram disabled.

Maybe he's got a kind of Stockholm syndrome kinda thing :hummm , or he just feels sorry for Charlie not being able to see very well... :k055:

-edit: quote tags were messed up-

Edited by Erinaceus

A few months ago I tried putting a large goldfish bowl in my tank as a feeding spot and quiet sleeping spot. I eventually removed it because all my fish would end up stuck inside, swimming round and round looking confused and flustered.

We also put a large bowl in the tank as a quiet sleeping spot and as a feeding place and all the fish got the idea after a couple of hours.

That is so weird that he is able to manage the quiet box but not the glass?! Those are hilarious pictures.

:exactly So weird that he doesn't tink of swimming backwards, my Godzilla loves to swim backwards. She parks herself under the internal filter to sleep, and the only way out is putting herself in reverse. :gcar: She even does it when there is no need to do it: "look what I can do" :D

Guest Nemo & Cynthia

My little Cynthia likes swimming to the outflow of the filter and then hovering backwards with the current of the filter...LOL. :nana

:rofl

I can't believe he couldn't just swim back out.

:P Great story.

My little Cynthia likes swimming to the outflow of the filter and then hovering backwards with the current of the filter...LOL. :nana

Every so often, Godzilla likes to face the flow from the external filter head-on, racing against the current :) I think she likes the feel of the wind in her hair / the flow of the water past her dorsal fin :D .

(come to think of it, she usually lets her hair... err dorsal fin down, so that doesn't make a lot of sense :hummm )

Edited by Erinaceus

Guest Nemo & Cynthia

Nemo will sometimes attack the outflow thinking it is a threat, especially during feeding time..... :unsure:

Wow, that has got to be one of the funniest gf stories ever and the pics are priceless!! :thumbup:

Ha ha! I have a new bubble eye who does that. He will cram himself into a cup and not be able to get out. It doesn't even seem to matter if there is another fish in there or not. I have thought of naming him "Stumphead" :D

Tinko's expression is priceless!! :rofl

Tinko's expression is priceless!! :rofl

:exactly:rofl

Daniel your fish could have their own fishy soap opera. Poor Charlie. :heart