Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Emergency Question

Chubby - just wondering why there isn't a filter in there? What are you doing to control ammonia?

Chubby - just wondering why there isn't a filter in there? What are you doing to control ammonia?

I do water changes alot, and the reason why there isn't one is bc the filter for that tank is broken and i haven't get the chance to go to LFS to buy another one, I cant drive, i'm out of money, nobody is home, nobody cares. I'm just trying to do the best to my limits, I really have no money now, i'm completely broke. No one is home until always very late night, parents work until night (they both have a hosue of their own, so usually return there), siblings never home, my sister and I cant drive. I'm not trying to use this as an excuse, i hope you know, I would do everything to help my fish. I just ......having hard time.

Anotehr question, i fed the food, and the tank was clean, but i just take a look and somehow i think all the food pellet was crushed and lay all around the bottom of the tank..my fish is not eating it.

Edited by chubbygold

Well, it sounds like things are difficult for you, Chubby. So, for now, just keep testing and changing the water.

If anyone can ever get to a store, it would be a very good idea for you to get hold of some bags of zeolite or ammo-chips. You could have these on hand to control ammonia if you ever need the QT again. Also, they are re-chargeable in salt.

If the food is not eaten, you should remove it so it will not rot. Are you sure it is not poop, by the way? Metro-med poop looks the same colour as the pellets - like they have been crumbled onto the floor. Next feeding time, soak the pellets for a couple of minutes and watch him closely to see if he actually eats them - if he does, you can assume the stuff on the tank floor is poop. If he doesn't eat, you can try to hand feed him. Lift him just above the water line and drop a pellet into his mouth as he gapes - this is a very good if the fish has stopped wanting to eat.

Well, it sounds like things are difficult for you, Chubby. So, for now, just keep testing and changing the water.

If anyone can ever get to a store, it would be a very good idea for you to get hold of some bags of zeolite or ammo-chips. You could have these on hand to control ammonia if you ever need the QT again. Also, they are re-chargeable in salt.

If the food is not eaten, you should remove it so it will not rot. Are you sure it is not poop, by the way? Metro-med poop looks the same colour as the pellets - like they have been crumbled onto the floor. Next feeding time, soak the pellets for a couple of minutes and watch him closely to see if he actually eats them - if he does, you can assume the stuff on the tank floor is poop. If he doesn't eat, you can try to hand feed him. Lift him just above the water line and drop a pellet into his mouth as he gapes - this is a very good if the fish has stopped wanting to eat.

Thanks :) I will try to get some ammo-chips when I have the chance.

:) i fed it earlier today and sit there and watch it for 10 long minutes, and he is eating ALOT! not spitting out anything......and the weird thing is.....those crushed up pellets are gone..they aren't on the bottom of the tank anymore O___O I think they are most likely poops, it look exactly how you described it. BTW I wouldn't believe this unless i seen it for myself! But right after feeding, he rapidly recovered the next day (this morning)..the scales aren't even sticking out anymore! Except just a little bit on the side where it was swollen, but the swollen is not as visable and as bad anymore. :) I'm having very high hope now. I think he might survive if I keep this up.

Btw I heard even though fish recovered from dropsy, they are never the same again :( weaker, they are stunned in growth and could die out of no where without a reason :(

Edited by chubbygold

You see? MM's are miracle food! I'm so pleased he's responding.

Well, what you say about dropsy can be true, but not always. Sometimes fish will pinecone again once their temperature drops and they can become very sensitive and weakened. You can only try your best by keeping the water as clean as you can and keeping a close eye on him.

Have you ever treated your fish for flukes with Prazi - I can't remember, without reading all your topics. If not, it would be a very good thing to do for them. Sometimes dropsy can be the result of an infection opened up by fluke attack.

You see? MM's are miracle food! I'm so pleased he's responding.

Well, what you say about dropsy can be true, but not always. Sometimes fish will pinecone again once their temperature drops and they can become very sensitive and weakened. You can only try your best by keeping the water as clean as you can and keeping a close eye on him.

Have you ever treated your fish for flukes with Prazi - I can't remember, without reading all your topics. If not, it would be a very good thing to do for them. Sometimes dropsy can be the result of an infection opened up by fluke attack.

Yup, amazing thing, I didnt expect Sunny to respond to it so quickly. But i'm soooo glad he did.

I will try my best to keep him healthy.

I haven't treat my goldfishes with flukes yet. Thank you for your advice, I will try my best to get Prazi.

Remember to keep feeding that food to him no less than 14 days or he will relapse again. Yep most of the time Dropsy goldfish are sensitive to things but all you can do is try to make him comfy :D

I'm glad hes doing better its hard to help fish when they get this way but with the MM's you can do it as long as your determined to keep up the good work :D

How are we doing? :D

thanks for checking koko! I'm happy to say, Sunny is happy and well, without your helps and everybody's, and METRO-MED! Sunny would never recovered. truly amazing to see how he rapidly recovered. He was back to his main tank today, and I'm observing him, to see if there is anything else wrong, he was abit shy but then he is now swimming around happily with the others :)

I will take a picture of him soon :)

Edited by chubbygold

Congratulations chubbygold!!! :Congrats:

Thats great news!!

Congrats!!!! It feels good to read about a saved friend. Hope everything works out great for you!

Thats wonderful hun. Make sure you keep an eye out, now that he's had an infection in the kidneys he will need to be watched for any signs of anything. GOOD WORK on curing him :hug

Pics :D

thanks everybody! I will be sure to keep a close eye on him. He is acting normal like he used to be now. Abit aggressive actually during feeding this morning! Lol he was chasing off Spikey and Chubby for food.

here is Sunny. There is a problem tho, I think his color sort of fade away abit.

opzq0p.png

His color should get back to normal hun. Are you feed Progold or what kind of food is he getting>

Im so happy to see him normal again :D

i'm feeding blood worms, once in a while frozen brine shrimp, vegetable flakes, and goldfish flakes

:D i'm just happy he seem healthy and playful now

Edited by chubbygold