Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
M*gic

Goldfish For Free (melbounre)

Hi guys, I got this big fish who I'd like to give away. My tank is only 16 gal but I have three fish so I figure I have to take one out...

My only requirement is you take your own container/ plastic bag when collecting him... and please show me a pic of your tank, I would only give him up to someone who loves goldfish and can take care of him... I can judge by your tank.

There's no real name for him, I just call him Big Guy because he's the biggest in the tank. He'd been living for years in my friend's 3 gal tank... it was so small he couldn't move properly and he had to basically lay on the substrate and he has poor swimming skill because of it... I had no idea my friend had a fish in his room... and when he went away he decided to give it to me... and he's been housed in this tank ever since. He'd sit in the corner all day unless when it comes to feeding time... he can be quite interactive with hand as that's how I feed him :)

He's a lemonhead oranda

4-1.jpg

SUNP0005.jpg

newcomer2.jpg

If your tank is too small or maintained poorly, I'd rather keep him... but I'll let it go for someone who'll care for him and put him in a big nice tank...

I live in Carlton, Melbourne

Wish you were in the States! I would love to take him in-- I love lemonheads so much!

Best of luck finding a good home.

^THanks I hope he can find a new nice home too :)

Yeah too bad, I'd give him up to you... he and Roxanne would make babies :D

Hey nakedsnake, I'm in St Kilda, I'd be happy to rehome him if you like, I've got a 7 foot tank (approx 800 litres if you include the volume of the filters.) and I've only got 5 fish in there, it's understocked at the moment coz I need low maintainence due to also having to care for a human baby but there's plenty of room for your little guy if you like. I'm having trouble getting my computer to recognise my camera at the moment and I'm a bit too much of a technophobe to work out what's going on so I can't show you a recent image of my tank, but I can describe what I've got, 7x2x2ft tank, 3 external 1200lph aquaone cannisters and a fluval 3 internal filter (this may be considered underfiltered, but the fact that I'm so understocked this has never been an issue), 200wtt heater that gets put on over winter, UV sterilizer (cant remember brand) it's partially barebottomed with some blue stricta and several anubias growing over a whole pile of petrified wood, I've been keeping fish since I can remember, probably from about 7yrs onwards, started with goldies, 'progressed' to tropical, and then went back to keeping fancy goldfish.

I'm a stay at home mum at the moment so I can come and pick him up if you like, let me know if your interested.

Sure could you email me at feverwin@gmail.com? I'll let you know my address :)

I can't use a PM system here, not enough posts yet...

Edited by nakedsnake

I hope you'll be patient with him though :( cuz he's not active and can lay motionless on the bottom for hours... but he recognizes people because it means food and he's not soulless.... he's cute imo... he just doesn't know how to swim... poor thing. It's a confidence thing with him about swimming... I don't know if you can train him somehow...

Oh congrats on finding him a good home. Mads will take very good care of him!

Sometimes a change in environment can make all the difference in a fish. I had a panda tele once that just sat in 'freeze' mode nearly all the time. When I put her in a tank with some others she came to life and had a great personality. Perhaps your oranda doesn't like the 360 degree clear glass for example and feels vulnerable in the open like that? who knows. Anyway, Mads will take good care of it whether it is shy or not. :)

Sorry for double post... Mads I replied your e-mail... thanks :)

Mads in case you haven't checked your email I've replied to it again... if you change your mind please let me know. :)

Hi Nakedsnake, just so you don't hate me, I'm really sorry for saying I could take your fish on, but at this point in time I just I can't.. I'm sorry to jerk you round on all this. I hope you find a home for your little one. cheers. Mads.