Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jeana727

Aq110......growling

I did my weekly water change yesterday on my two tanks (I have three AQ110's) After I was finished & restarted all my filters & stuff one of the AQs growled!

It sounded almost as if it was running dry! I took it down & checked it...all seemed fine. But upon restart....growling AGAIN! It was flowing just fine, but it was loud! I let it run & after awhile it quieted down ALMOST to normal. Even this morning I notice I can hear it....not loud but noticeable. Usually all I really hear is water sounds!!

I am wondering if the impeller maybe needs cleaning (?)

I have done this on several other HOB filters I owned in the past, but never on an AQ110. Should I give it a try? Has anyone done this on an AQ?

I will await answers before scrubbing to operate!

Thanks!

I know that alot of the filters motors will get algae or even a human hair in there and will wrap around the peller and cause a problem :( So for me I will take it out once a month and just make sure there isnt anything wrapped around it :D

Well, thankfully it stopped growling! But I am planning to take in down in a little while (probably will do all three!) & check those impellers!! My hubby said it happened awhile back & he cleaned one for me.....I somehow forgot this! But anyway I am past that part where I looked like this: :krazy:

My brother has a whisper 20-40 that does that..thinking of throwing it away

Glad yours stoped making noise. I hate it when they do it

Edited by Ironman

Before you toss it see if it's fixable! There's really not that much to them! Usually it's just a clogged impeller (the little spinning thingee). On all of my smaller filters I have taken them pretty much apart & cleaned & REJUVINATED them! I haven't with my AQ110s BUT I do plan to see to some "impeller cleaning" this weekend!!

It has been a busy weekend - sorry I have not been around....

As far as noisy filters.....

You are absolutely correct that foriegn material in/on the impellor can cause problems. Cleaning may solve it altogether. When you totally clean a filter, it is easy to get some of the pieces slightly misplaced when reassmbling it. The older aquaclear units are notorious for this - the seat that the intake tube sits in and the "alternate flow" adjuster are rather finicky and not always obvious in their placement. An off placement can mean that it ceases functioning - or that it just is very inefficiant - and growls. The older Emperors and Penquins would commonly growl when the flow adjuster lever was not in "full flow" mode.

I would suggest that when you have a filter that is making noise you do just as you were advised here - take it apart and clean it - paying special attention to the impeller. Clean the intake tubes, etc. When you put it back together, pay special attention to re-seating the intake tube and it's assembly firmly and straight into the unit. Play with the intake tube seating - sometimes ifyou push it too firmly into place it does not work properly. Sometimes it needs to be eased out a bit.

I have a filter right now that seems to have collected extra "mold flashing" that has become unseated and is gumming up the works. I cannot get the thing to pull flow at all - seating the tubes well also shuts it down. I have to examine it really well sometime soon - I hate to lose a filter.

I guess what I am saying is - yes - clean it all well. Pay special attention to the reassembly of the unit. Work a bit with the seating of the intake tubes and such - ease them in and out to find the best working position. Check to make sure that everything is reassembled properly.

I hope it stays quiet for you.

:)

Thanks Daryl.......I have decided after I run a few errands this morning I am going to take all three filters & check the impellers. I don't know if I've EVER gotten into that part on any of them. I'll be careful, as you suggested....I'd hate anything to go wrong with the "triplets"! They are GREAT filters!!

I feel I'll be okay, I used to take all my smaller ones apart & repair them!

Woohoo!! I did it! It wasn't really hard. I am glad I did all three.....whew....there WAS some gunk in them! All three are running smoothly!

**In case anyone has Aquaclear filters (mine are 110s) To clean the impellers here's what I did:

Un plugged the filter & took out the media (sponges & ceramic thingee & whatever else you have stuffed in there) and put them in some tank water in my FISH ONLY bucket.

Then I took the filters (one atta time) to the kitchen sink. As I said I placed all the media in a bucket of fish water to keep the good bacteria happy.

I even remove the media basket thingee to give it a good rinse. Then I carefully removed the plastic cover from over the impeller. (It snaps right off but be careful you don't want to break it!) I rinsed it & sit it aside. I pulled out the impeller. It was very slimey, to be expected and there was assorted small pieces of plant matter in there. I rinsed it out with the kitchen sink sprayer. I wiped the interior of the filter out real well. Then took my FISH ONLY bottle brush to the

intake tubes. It was sparkling clean.

I placed it back onto the tank, replaced all the media! Refilled the tank of the filter with tank water, plugged it up & it's running perfectly!

((I have to admit when I turned one of them back on it grumbled alittle so I took it back down & popped of the motor cover & pulled the impeller back out.

It seemed that it wasn't in just right. Put it all back together & no grumbling!!))

It was really pretty simple!! So clean your IMPELLERS!!!