Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CountryLovah

Hurt Fish At Pet Store Near Me..

Hi guys! I saw this at fish at a chain pet store a few days ago. A lot of the fish in his tank and other tanks seem sick but this particular one just made me sad. He has a large wound on him and the other fish in the tank are pecking at it. I was there a few days ago and I went back today to buy some supplies. I bought a 10 gallon which I want to keep as new fish QT tank. And a new filter for my 29 gallon tank because it was only 200. So I bought a penguin 350 and am going to use the penguin 200 on my 10 gallon. I only have one fish right now and am planning on getting one or two more eventually. Anyway I came THIS close to buying the hurt fish the other day but I am still extremely new to the hobby so I thought it would be a bad idea. However, when I went back to buy the 10 gallon today I saw him STILL there. He seems active other than the huge wound. I snuck a picture of him and am going to post it here. Is it worth trying to save this guy? I am not afraid of doing a lot of work and water changes. Actually I am completely into doing the extra work and tests and everything. But I am really new to this so I would need advice. I still have a thread open in emergency 911 in case you need more backround info. I just didn't want to post this in there since it's not really an emergency. What do you guys think? My heart says to try to help him, and even fresh water with no other fish pecking at him would give him a better chance than what he has now, but my head says he probably won't make it.. And then it would be sad. Every one in my family says "don't get that fish! He is too hurt" but I leave the store and keep thinking about him : ( I would like as many opinions as possible and also opinions from the people that have been helping me with my other fish (since you guys know alot of the background stuff). Thanks!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j272/Cou...tStoreShish.jpg

I say get him and give him a better life even if only for a while, but I don't think it's so bad as he will die from it. He has lived this long being in a crowded pet store tank with other fish picking at him, having is own tank with nice clean water will only help.

As long as you have the means to quarantine him, I would say go ahead and try to treat him. Just don't add him to your main tank with other fish since he is already in rough shape, and you don't know what diseases he could bring in.

I would try just putting him in fresh, clean water to start with, maybe with some Melafix, and see how he does with that. If, after a few days, he doesn't seem to be getting any better, you may want to try a broad spectrum antibiotic. But that looks like it may just be an open wound that could be healed with some clean water.

You are all heros to want to save him but honestly I would be very careful making this decision.

Sue- you have just started with fish and you have a fish that is just recovering from a serious parasite infection - he is still weak. Whenever you introduce new fish to your fish family you run the risk of infection passing to other tanks. it's incredibly easily done. All it takes is the tiniest drip of water from your hands, using the same syphon or tank cleaning equipment. Even dipping a pea in the water to hand feed and then using the same hand to hand feed the other tank can cross contaminate.

The fish in the pic looks like he has been eaten. Chunks of him are missing. There are going to be several infections raging there. There's already red around the edges. There are several sick fish or dieing fish in his tank also which means that there are several things going on that are far reaching and nasty. Heal the wound but the fish my be a carrier of worse.

This is my opinion as I am feeling right this minute. I have rescued fish and know how they get to you, I just think you should add the risk to your other fish into your final decision.

Thanks for the reply's. I actually am leaning towards no at this point... I read another article on here.. Forget where.. And it said something like "pick out a healthy goldfish in the beginning. Then when you are more experienced you can do the rescues." I was still conflicted, and this is before I even got your response Trinket, because I was thinking basically exactly what you said. I don't want anything to happen to Sheldon... He's too important. Finally I decided to go back to the store and get a really close look at the tank, and simply ASK them if they would sell me the fish. I wondered would they even sell him like that. And as silly as it seems, I very much believe in little signs or things happening for a reason. And when I got to the store I looked closely. They were not doing well at all... And then I asked the lady who says she is the manager, and immediatly (this is good news about the store esp considering it is a chain store) she said "I can not sell you any goldfish. All the goldfish tanks are being treated right now". She said all the fish in the tanks came in yesterday (which can't completely be true because I saw this fish 2-3 days ago) and they were all being medicated and wouldn't be for sale til at least Monday. To me, that was a sign that I should not get this fish. The negatives for the store are that she was the manager, and I said "what are they being treated with?" and she said "I dunno Ich something?" and I said "you don't know the name?" and she said no. When I came home I started setting up the 10 gallon and I thought "this tank should really be 100% cycled before I put ANY fish in it" And why mess around with a second sick fish when I still need to be closely monitoring Sheldon. And then to see Trinkets post which basically listed all my negative thoughts but in even scarier ways (the one drop of water thing got to me) that pretty much sealed the deal. I'm think I'm gonna let this one go and just realize my heart was in the right place.

I agree with Trinket ...but yes it is hard to see a poor fish in need ..I bought a lionhead with the same problem (which started as fin rot ) his whole back end was eaten away ..it took me months and lots of money and daily waterchanges ..even somtimes twice a day to get him better and I had to be sssoooo careful not to contaminate the other tanks I almost lost him twice and if I was not a stay at home mom I probably would of I watched his every move ...now he is healthy and being male :rolleyes:

That is probably for the best then, Country. Through the years you will see many, many fish that you will want to help. Some you will be able to, and some you won't. But realize at least to the ones that you have, you are making a difference and a good life for them.

And it sounds dumb but it works for me?just DON'T go to pet stores where you will be tempted to get fish! I had a huge problem when I worked at a pet store, and I wanted to bring every sick and hurt animal home with me. But now that I don't go to stores regularly, I'm not as tempted.

My heart breaks every time I see fish in that condition and I always want to help them. I rescued my black moor, and lost her to dropsy a few weeks later. That's even more heart-breaking. I agree with Trinket and your own thoughts on the decision. We can't save every fish... sometimes we can just save the ones we already have. :heart

Ya know. That's very good advice jsrtist. Not going into the stores that are temptations!! Or going in to get supplies but not looking at the fish. A small part of me wanted to go check on that fish, but I didn't go for that very reason. Oh and what you said Joy is very true too. I have lost so many fish recently that if I had gotten that one, and couldn't save it, I would have just been sad and discouraged. Thanks for your opinions. It makes me feel better. I'm already glad I didn't get it. Today Sheldon is acting just a little strange. And if I had got the other fish I would be thinking OH NO! Did he bring something!!! It feels good to NOT wonder that. Not saying there can't be a problem, but at least it wasn't the cause of it. I'm going to give Sheldon a while to fully heal in the 29 gallon by himself. (at least a month if not two) And use the 10 gallon to quarentine a healthy looking fish. And even then I am going to try to do their water changes and tank maintance on different days to minimize the chance of passing any infection. (which hopefully won't exist in the first place). And.. more good news. All tanks. (there are 6 total.. 29 gallon, 10 gallon, two 2.5 gallon bettas, and two 5 gallon hopsitals) have a lot of seperate equipement at this point. I was actually working on that even before I started this thread but am especially glad now that I see how easily disease can be transmitted. They each have 2 cups and a spoon for mixing salt, or removing small amounts of water (like with the bettas) A medicine dropper so I can test the water without dipping the same thing into all tanks. A jug for removing water, a scrubber pad and toothbrush. And a medicine syringe type dropper for adding medications or anything. I got everything cheap. Probably cost 5 bucks per tank. The 29 gallon and 10 gallon have their own syphons since those are the main tanks. The 5 gallons don't NEED syphons cause they are bare bottom and I just scrub them down each day (and hopefully will be done with them for a while soon!) And the betta tanks share a tiny syphon. I've never used it though. Their tanks are so easy to maintain. A few times a week I remove half their water with cups, and refill it. Then once a week I move them into a fish bowl (each have their own) and swish the gravel and do a full water change. And I've got 3 buckets. 2 for removing nasty water, 1 just for adding clean water. And 4 jugs just for clean water. (those work great for the bettas) And I bought PP for disinfecting! So I think I am pretty well prepared for getting a new fish, just not THAt fish lol.

Wow, you have a nice setup. I've only got one set of everything for my tanks, so it keeps me from buying new fish. :P

You have a very good plan. It will turn out the best for everyone-- Sheldon, new fish, and you!

Sue, its so wonderful of you to want to save the sick fish, and I know how you feel. I have to agree with Imogen on this, though. Its the same thing with warm blooded pets. I have almost adopted so many strays (I live out in the country and people constantly dump dogs and cats), but right about the time I almost give in, I think about what they could give to Rocky. Not to mention the extra vet bills and expense.

Its hard not to want to help them, but remember that the pet you have right now comes first.

You have a great setup and Shellie (sheldon...whatever, lol) is doing very well in recovering. You don't need a setback. It takes an extremely patient, diligent, and experienced fishkeeper to be successful at rescuing fish. I wouldn't even attempt it myself.

You have a great big heart, though. :heart:)