Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
samoht70

My Diy Spray Bar

The spraybar is made using the following plastic plumbing parts from the local hardware store:

3/4"x3/4" hose barb x female threaded elbow

12"x3/4" pipe (the type with threads on each end. I used the longest length: choose whatever length you want)

threaded end cap

heater-holder suction cups

After assembling these three pieces (there is only one possible way to assemble them), find a way to hold the pipe still while you drill several holes down its length. I used a 3/16 drill bit for mine, but that's because it's the only bit I have (thrift-shopping yielded a used drill w/ one bit).

I drilled 5 holes, approximately even-spaced, and slightly above horizontal. The water comes up at an angle a little above horizontal as it sprays out, making it good for a pond fountain (its intended use). If/when I get more bits, I'll enlarge the holes to 1/4", and maybe add a few more (right now, the water really SPRAYS out, causing a bit too much current).

I use 5/8" hose, because that seems to be a good size, and it fits over the 3/4" hose barb without needing a hose clamp. The hose end needs to be dipped into hot water so that it will stretch over the fitting. Install in the tank using the heater-holder suction cups, in any position desired.

The spray bar:

DSCF1114.jpg

Installed, not running (I used a cable tie and a clip to hold the hose at the edge of the aquarium):

DSCF1119.jpg

Running:

DSCF1120.jpg

DSCF1123.jpg

Now I feel like an idiot for not thinking of this. I'll just blame it on lack of sleep. Thanks for posting, this is very helpful. The two of you are far more handy than I am. :exactly

I hate to ask a stupid question, but what does this do or what purpose does it serve?

It's not a stupid question! How else are you going to learn> Ask all you want. I'm new to fishdom, but here's my two cents. The spray bar oxygenates the water; gf need lots of good water and oxygen - just like us! GF, especially the babies, like to swim in the "current" and the bubbles, sort of like surfing? lol Hope that helps.

The spray bar spreads out the water flowing back into the tank from a canister or sump filter, so it doesn't return in one giant jet that pushes the fish around. It also directs the flow across the surface of the water, causing lots of surface movement, thus helping oxygenation.

you did a really great diy spray bar! :thumbs: it looks almost exactly like the one that came w/ my filter. :)