Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daryl

Broadtail Fry Growing

So, I have about 100 Broadtail Ryukin fry left from my Jan 18th spawning. Today, I am sorting them for their final "sort". They go into three tanks - one is the "best" for me to keep - and to share with special friends and breeders, the next is to grow out for petshop sales, and the final is either find them a home or cull them tank. (I hate the last grouping - but there are so many that it may be necessary).

The calicos colored a while ago, but the reds still are displaying fry green. There are a few tripod tails - but they are spectacular fish with amazing tails - tripod or not. They will go into the 2nd tank. In the first group there is one fish.....all I can say is that he looks better and better each day I see him. I think he will be solid red when he changes - he is still green. I tried to take a picture of him.... but as all of you who know me know that I am TERRIBLE with a camera.

post-27-1210617167_thumb.jpg

post-27-1210617176_thumb.jpg

I split these posts so the post would not go too wide. I hope this works.....

post-27-1210617344_thumb.jpg

post-27-1210617350_thumb.jpg

They are growing well.

What are your plans for all of them?

They look great! I can't wait for more pics to see how they mature!

I fortunately won't have to go through that process as I only got 4 fry out of my spawn (first time breeding and I didn't put down breeding mats). If they're all healthy, I'll likely be able to keep them all (or give some to Koko's members who are local).

Wow, there are so many of them!! Very nice too!

Wow! That sure is a nice group of fish! I would love to take a couple if I had the room.

You have some beautiful deep bodied fry. I like the little button eye one and the high dorsal close up gold one. They all look very active and healthy. Have you selected the extra specials yet (the keepers :yeah: )

I would love to see a close up of your favorite one! I only kept 2 fry, but mine are just mutts anyway . I was hoping for another nice showy one like Smooters though.

I know they are zippy at that age but maybe you could squeeze off a shot when they are eating, they can't seem to swim and eat at the same time. :D

I promise to try. My pictures are usually best when they involve a 12 incher that is sleeping, not a 1 incher that is feeding, but..... :rolleyes:

I have decided to pull my favorite 4 from the main group anyway.

:)

They are so cute!! Can't wait to see "the Fab Four!!"

Well, good luck getting a good pictures of those little things - it isn't easy... :D They do look lovely, Daryl - fat and deep bodied. And I see some humps on a lot of them. Nice fins as well! What are you feeding them now?

They get GC fish flakes (shrimp/fish/spirilana), soaked Hikari Lionhead pellets and loads of bloodworms to build muscle. :)

How are they babies doing Daryl?

I have separated out all the "pet-shop" fry to a growout bin in the back room. The "show" and "breeder" and such fry are still in the front room 40 gallon breeder. I have to do a bunch of shipping when I return from my upcoming trip - to send them out to various breeders that I have promised them to - for trade and other considerations. A number of the best fins are going to improve the fins in a line of Veiltails. (Broadtails are veiltails placed on breeds other than a Veiltail) I think I am keeping about 4 of them....

I am one of the world's worst photographers, but maybe I can see if I can take better pictures. Now that I have taken the number down to 30 in the front tank, it ought to be easier to get a photo of individuals.... I hope.

Some of the red ones are starting to color, now. The calicos have gotten very bright - some with intense black tails and such. There is one that I was soooooooo loathe to put in the pet shop group - one of the most spectacular set of monster fins, bright colors and fantastic Ryukin body - but the tail was a tripod at the top. :( It is a true beauty! Some lucky person will find that one in the pet shop and have a spectacular fish for a buck or two! There are two or three "broadtail Tamasabas" in there, too. A mixture, that!

I wish, when you get in the "shipping mode", that you would pick out one or two FOR ME!! I will G L A D L Y pay for shipping!!! What do ya' think? :flowers

Edited by Jeana727

nice ryukins!they all look beatiful.looks like alot though.good luck takin care of them! :joke lol

Awww! I can't wait til next year!! :happydance

They're so pretty!