Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
32Bit_Fish

My New Lionheads Or The Lion King..?

I just want to share some pics with you all..

Please provide comments on their color, body shape/formation. I'm still new to gold fish and not sure how to grade goldies..

FemaleFront.jpg

Female1.jpg

LionKing1.jpg

LionPair.jpg

Ranchiu2.jpg

Two1.jpg

TwoClose.jpg

Vertical.jpg

Ohmy that first pic is priceless. I don't know much about lionheads, but I know that yours are very cute! :exactly

AAAWWWW!! they are adorable ...sorry but I don't know much about how to grade a fish ..but they are very nice :D ...I know you were having issues with aggression ...I only see cute sweet innocent faces :rofl

They are so cute. I like the body formation of the first one though. Hope for more head growth.

I'm not an expert at grading fish either, but they look very nice indeed to me. They both have good body depth, one has slightly better developed head growth than the other but still very Lionhead like and more may come. Both have nice straight backs, the second fish has a couple of very small back kinks just after the head but nothing major and quite normal. I can't see the anal fins but as I'm sure you know they should be paired in fancy goldfish (fused anals are a common occurance in goldfish breeding). Both tails look nice, they should both have a well developed split, although again this can vary. Nice strong coloured head growth and red-orange/white metallic bodies. They look in great condition and very healthy. They look like fine fish to me - can I have them?! :D

Thanks for all your comments and I hope those two can pair up. The one in the first, second pic is the female I believe. She is the one that being harrassed by the one in the 5th pic. The one in the 5th pic is the aggressor and he wouldn't stop the chasing/harassing as soon as he is in the tank with the other two. Also, the one in the 5th pic seems to have a smaller head/wen area. Do you people think he is a lionchiu?

I'm assuming a lionchiu has a smaller head than a lionhead..?

I am unable to put all three fish in a 20g and I've tried two times during the course of two weeks. I really dont know what to do, maybe I just need to wait and hope the aggressor will calm down.

All three of these fish are about 5" and are they going to grow more? to 6-8"? Or I need to put them in a bigger tank in order to see more growth? (a tank that at least 55g?)

I love that second pic, there's something really aesthetic about the curved lines of your fish the compact round wen accents the curve of the back and belly and edge of tail fin... nice! I haven't seen a fish that's made me drool like that for quite a while! :tonge:

Amazing lion heads.

I love the second picture.

I hope they can get along because their all soo pretty!

I would say they are as close to the standard that you can get, especially the first two pics. The red and white fish looks more like a cross between a ranchu and lionhead, still a nice fish. The others are simply beautiful. Where did you get them

Thanks for all your comments and I hope those two can pair up. The one in the first, second pic is the female I believe. She is the one that being harrassed by the one in the 5th pic. The one in the 5th pic is the aggressor and he wouldn't stop the chasing/harassing as soon as he is in the tank with the other two. Also, the one in the 5th pic seems to have a smaller head/wen area. Do you people think he is a lionchiu?

I am unable to put all three fish in a 20g and I've tried two times during the course of two weeks. I really dont know what to do, maybe I just need to wait and hope the aggressor will calm down.

All three of these fish are about 5" and are they going to grow more? to 6-8"? Or I need to put them in a bigger tank in order to see more growth? (a tank that at least 55g?)

It may be your fish are trying to spawn, hence the chasing. I'd say a larger volume of water would certainly be better long term - I'd go for a 50 gallonish tank at least to allow them space to grow out more (this will also help if you simply have a naughty fish rather than one trying to spawn - more space for everyone)

Yes, I didn't comment on the fish in the 5th picture as from the shot he does look slightly ranchu/lionchu going by the head growth shape. I think they'll make a lovely tank! :exactly

They're super.

Well, that's not very technical - but I like 'em. :D

Next thing I need to do is get them a nice big tank.. Hopefully a bigger tank will help the chasing problem or maybe I need to get couple more fish (maybe two more?) might help solve the chasing issue as well? I really want to keep everyone in one tank tho..

all of them r cute but the fish in the first 2 pics is defianently my fave!!

I noticed my lionheads are slow and clumsey. The lionchiu is much quicker and better at catch the food. I surprised that Goldies have a great ability to sense their food. The lionheads have a very bad eye sight, but they use their nose to find their food I guess.

Wow I love them!!!

I want a lionhead real bad and if I can have find one of good quality at a lfs I am going to get a 3rd tank, so that I can get him.

:D they're very pretty indeed!

of course i know nothing about grading lionheads either,

but they've got what appear to be cute little smiles on their faces. :wub:

Wow I love them!!!

I want a lionhead real bad and if I can have find one of good quality at a lfs I am going to get a 3rd tank, so that I can get him.

The lionchiu in the 5th pic is the one I bought from my LFS, I would consider myself lucky finding a fish in this grade in my LFS. My LFS has a big business in Goldies, but majority of them are in low grade (many of them with deformed body and diseases).

I had to go to the store every Wedneseday (this is the day that all the new goldies come in) to see if they have any good one. Sometimes, one of these ones in higher grade slipped into the shipment by accident. That's how I found mine and this is rarely happen.

I hope you can find your something in your LFS soon. All the effort and time searching for your favor goldies definitely worth while and pays off at the end.

The first two orange fish is very very nice. Very robust & full body for lionheads. Very nice even wen also. I like the one in the first pic better as it is more balanced and a better example of a classical lionhead. A great fish.

Also, the one in the 5th pic seems to have a smaller head/wen area. Do you people think he is a lionchiu?

A lionchu is a ranchu with a lionhead-type wen. The size of the wen doesn't determine a ranchu is a lionchu or not, it is the type of the wen. You red & white fish is a lionchu, as it has the curved backbone of a ranchu & the wen type typical of a lionhead.

The first two orange fish is very very nice. Very robust & full body for lionheads. Very nice even wen also. I like the one in the first pic better as it is more balanced and a better example of a classical lionhead. A great fish.

So you people prefer a lionhead with a short body in length? Does a short body length put a fish into a higher grade?

For some reasons, I love lionheads with huge/massive wen growth. The fish in the first two pics do not have a massive wen growth as the one in the third pic. On the other hand, the massive head one has a longer body length and I suppose he is a boy.

I hope the one in the first two pics will continue the wen growth.

So you people prefer a lionhead with a short body in length? Does a short body length put a fish into a higher grade?

Not all of us :D it's only my opinion. According to GFSA standard, body depth of a lionhead should be approx 5/8 the length of body, which makes your first fish too deep/too short. However, I like compact, robust fish more than longer ones.

For some reasons, I love lionheads with huge/massive wen growth. The fish in the first two pics do not have a massive wen growth as the one in the third pic. On the other hand, the massive head one has a longer body length and I suppose he is a boy.

Yeah, size of headgrowth is totally objective. For some, the bigger the better. For me, balance is more important. The first fish is just "easier to the eye" than the 2nd one, with its perfectly smooth gently curving back; neat, compact wen; and nice-sized tail. The type of fish I can enjoy watching for hours on end.

GFSA standard? Interesting there are grading standards for gold fish. I'm assuming there are gold fish competition as well??

Yeah,, now I recall I've seen some video clips on Youtube and goldies are being video taped while in the competition.. I wonder what prize for the first three place..

Also do u guys know are there any red cap lionheads? Something like redcap, but a bigger wen growth..

GFSA standard? Interesting there are grading standards for gold fish. I'm assuming there are gold fish competition as well??

Oh yes of course there are goldfish competitions & the grading standards. I'm a bit surprised that u're not aware of them since u got such nice collection of fish.

The standards for different breeds of goldfish is different according to the country & even with different goldfish associations. Goldfish competitions are everywhere, internationally & locally, and is especially bigger in Asian countries where they have more interest & prestige. International fish-keeping expos like Aquarama & Aquaria China draws big crowds & have hundreds of goldfish participate. Put it simply, Asian goldfish hobbyists' dedication to their goldfish makes us' look like child's play.

Yeah,, now I recall I've seen some video clips on Youtube and goldies are being video taped while in the competition.. I wonder what prize for the first three place..

Yep there is a number of videos of competition fishes @ Youtube.

Here are some Goldfish Competition topics I've compiled before for koko's:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...c=60021&hl=

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...c=60042&hl=

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...c=39169&hl=

Also do u guys know are there any red cap lionheads? Something like redcap, but a bigger wen growth..

Of course there are red cap lionheads. Just have to find it, mate :)