Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Danicole

I Just Thought About Something.

Guest Danicole

So I know you aren't supposed to feed pellets unless you soak them, but I also thought that the pellets were fine if they sink since I was thinking it was the air in them that caused the problems. But is it that or the lack of moisture? Since I STILL haven't made time to cut up their gel food I've been giving them some pellets that sink right away instead of the gel when I'm low on time. Could that have been why the one died so quickly and the other two have been acting "off" for a lack of a better word. . .

Also, what can I do to help them find the gel food? It sinks like a rock and they're left going after the little floating bits and hunting for the food smell around the tank <_< Is there some way to help them find it other than holding it for them until they have eaten their fill?

Goldies are active and should find the food eventually... especially if they're hungry.

Or if you don't want too much mess just go with peas and sinking pellets until you do have time to give them varied diets.

Well some people (myself included) believe that you sould pre-soak pellets, even if they sink. The only exception I've found to this are progold, which seem to be fine without soaking. Even the sinking pellets can have air trapped in them, so soaking helps to get rid of that. However, I don't think that this would kill your fish. I fed un-soaked sinking pellets to my fish for about 6 months before I knew the difference. This may have caused some swim bladder problems, but not death. I think you have something else going on.

As for the gel food, yes, your fish will find it. Don't underestimate the appitties of goldfish! :D

I wonder can fish fart to release the air?

Also sometimes the poop goes floating... doesn't this mean it contains the air inside from swallowing the pellets with air? Just curious :D

Goldfish will never eat their fill, so don't worry too much about that.

Since you had one that died and a few that are acting off, it's better to eliminate every other possibility before focusing on the food.

To better diagnose your fish, please answer the following:

* Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level out of the Tap?

* Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

* What is the name and size of the filter/s?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

# How many fish in the tank and their size?

# What kind of water additives or conditioners?

# Any medications added to the tank?

# Add any new fish to the tank?

# What do you feed your fish?

# Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

# Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

-If you need help with diagnosing your goldfish please post in the emergency/disease/diagnosis forum. A healthy fish should not be affected/killed by formula food, there is something else going on in your tank. -Death by food is usually poor nutrition from cheap fish flake/pellet and this occurs over a period of years. -as for your question about your fish finding your gel food, -if you're worried taht they are not going to sniff out the food, consider adding fresh minced garlic to your mix, garlic is a natural food attractant (they'll smell it in the water!) and also, it's a great immune booster for your fish to boot! :)

Guest Danicole

Oops, sorry to have posted this in the wrong spot. I figured since it was more about food that it should go here. I'll go put a post in the disease section instead.

Hi guys,

My ranchu Raiden just poop a ridiculously long and thick poop... the funny thing is it was still in its arse and not released yet...

I thought Raiden would drag the thing around because it's thick and long, supposed to be heavy right? But no, it's floating and sure enough when I see it up close the poo contained lots of tiny bubbles... and when he released it, the poo floated.

Sure fish can't fart but the air inside its stomach will be in the poo and this is why sometimes poos are floating instead of sinking. I don't think gulping air while eating floating/ unsoaked pellets will cause constipation because the air is in the poo and in the wild, they eat insects at water surface that fall onto water.

Thoughts?

Edited by nakedsnake

Fancies are not naturally occurring. They're bred by humans and thus contain physical handicaps that would hinder them if they were living in the wild.

One major change is the size of their abdominal cavity. Instead of having their intestines extended in a long tube like their wild cousins, it is compacted and "squished," make it difficult for food to move from one end to the other. Air getting caught in the gut is behind many of the food-related problems fancies have, hence the popularity of sinking fancy food.

Goldfish that have poop that is long & the same color of the food are eating too much food. You need to consider feeding less or more sporadically as they're not having enough time to digest their first meal before they get to their next. Goldfish lack the mechanism that tells their bodies they are full, so they will continually eat if there is food available.

Edited by Nenn