Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sangreaal

Goldfish Art

Guest Sangreaal

Looked all over the site for the proper place to post my artwork, but found nothing remotely close to a goldfish art forum, so here I is. *G* I've specialized in koi portraits for a couple of years now, but being a new fancy collector, just started working on goldies. What do you think of Hermoine, my Short Tailed Ryukin, diving down the glass to get my attention?

100_8540cxaxS.jpg

She is such a ham! I'm working on an entire series of digital works on her, and if you like, I will post them in this thread as I go along. Just wanted to share my obsession with someone that can appreciate it. :D

Marie

She certainly got my attention. That's really good, can't wait to see more! :clapping:

wow amazing!

Guest Debs

Marie, That is beautiful work. I'm wondering though,,,you refer to it as digital work. Are these photos that you've taken and worked on in an image editing program?

Guest Sangreaal
Marie, That is beautiful work. I'm wondering though,,,you refer to it as digital work. Are these photos that you've taken and worked on in an image editing program?

Thanks, and thanks everyone for your compliments. :D

Yes, it did indeed start as a photograph. I work in Corel Photo Paint, Painter X and Adobe, and can use just about any photograph taken with a 6megapixel or greater camera (less pixels, less material for me to work with). I use a combination of brushes and filters to create my artwork and am always working on technique. Depending on the image and what I want to do with it, it can take an hour or three or more to produce. This particular work took an hour and a half....

Marie

Guest Debs

Many people think that with the right software you can magically create a great photo! I've spent many years taking photos (with the guidance of my x pro photographer husband) and use many image editing programs. Adobe 6 & 7, Photostudio and many more. You obviously started with a remarkable photo and turned it into something quite special. I have no idea what filters or effects you used, (sure would like to) but you did an amazing job. You should be very proud.

Deb

I have always thought Koko's could use a Goldfish Art section. :D hint hint..

Fantastic work there! I love working on pics to produce works of art, that's a lovely shot, and I love what you've done with it. Since I've got this new Mac I haven't been able to find a copy of photoshop that I can use and the cost price of buying the program is prohibitive for me at this time.. :( I miss messing around with my pics... ( I was always tinkering with double chins/bags under the eyes/blotches in all my pics... :rolleyes: )

Oh, and btw, Rach, I'll suggest it on the mod board re Art section... ;)

Guest Sangreaal
Many people think that with the right software you can magically create a great photo! I've spent many years taking photos (with the guidance of my x pro photographer husband) and use many image editing programs. Adobe 6 & 7, Photostudio and many more. You obviously started with a remarkable photo and turned it into something quite special. I have no idea what filters or effects you used, (sure would like to) but you did an amazing job. You should be very proud.

Deb

Thanks Deb. Yep, it starts with a good photo, or at least part of a good photo. I used to be a pro 35mm photographer years ago, but have a cheap digital now that I can't tell you how hard it is to get a decent photo from. Shutter lag, frustrating autofocus, no control over depth of field....I swear people must think I've got Tourettes when the expletives fly every time that camera causes me to lose the perfect shot. I literally go through hundreds of shots to get something of any worth. This one was cropped from a much bigger picture and caught by chance.

I can't remember exactly what filters I used in Adobe 7 for this one--accented edges, posterization, and perhaps watercolor. But first I worked it in Corel Photo Paint to prep it for the filters. Sometimes it helps to explode the pixels with Equalization first. Adobe doesn't have a good equalization function. I may have embossed it in Corel as well--embossing in Adobe can't be done in color. I also cloned out a huge long poop trailing after her. Adobe is fine for finishing something, but it in no way can be compared to the vast creativity of Corel. Still, I couldn't get these effect without Adobe, so I worked the photo back and forth between the two.

Marie

Guest Sangreaal
Fantastic work there! I love working on pics to produce works of art, that's a lovely shot, and I love what you've done with it. Since I've got this new Mac I haven't been able to find a copy of photoshop that I can use and the cost price of buying the program is prohibitive for me at this time.. :( I miss messing around with my pics... ( I was always tinkering with double chins/bags under the eyes/blotches in all my pics... :rolleyes: )

Oh, and btw, Rach, I'll suggest it on the mod board re Art section... ;)

Thankie you :D

Yeah, Adobe Photoshop is pretty pricey. Check eBay for older versions--they're pretty much the same functionwise and you might find a steal. Also, check for Corel Photo-Paint for Mac while you're there. It comes in the Corel Draw Suite or standalone. Good program and better than Adobe in certain functions, and it is generally priced lower than Photoshop.

Here is one that I did of my Oranda. Started in Corel, manipulated in Adobe and then finished in Corel with a nice canvas texture for an old-fashioned look....

100_8734xxCLT.jpg

Guest Sangreaal

And just for comparison, the original capture I made it from:

100_8734.jpg

Would you consider selling your art work? I have been seeking goldfish artwork for the reception room in my acupuncture office. Yours is the nicest that I've seen -- really beautiful and unique. Let me know! :)

Guest Sangreaal
Would you consider selling your art work? I have been seeking goldfish artwork for the reception room in my acupuncture office. Yours is the nicest that I've seen -- really beautiful and unique. Let me know! :)

Yes, I do sell my artwork. Up until now, I've specialized in koi portraits and commissioned work. I also professionally print them on quality archival papers up to 13x19". They look absolutely lovely on a fine matte rag paper.

Thanks so much for your inquiry,

Marie

Thanks Mads! :D

Marie, that piece is gorgeous!! :heart I would definitely be interested in buying something. Do you work off your own photos, or can you use one of one of my fish? I love your work, and am looking forward to seeing more. :)

Guest Sangreaal
Marie, that piece is gorgeous!! :heart I would definitely be interested in buying something. Do you work off your own photos, or can you use one of one of my fish? I love your work, and am looking forward to seeing more. :)

Thankie you! :D

I generally work off of my own photos of my own fish, but I've done lots of commissioned work for my koi kichi crowd of friends and peers on KoiBito and Koiphen. So yes, I can use pics of your own fish. *nodnod*

Here's a portrait of my Oranda just finished:

100_8898cxAXc.jpg

And Hermoine again. This one is soon to be featured on the front page of the Master Index to Freshwater Fishes online:

100_8345S.jpg

Oh Marie stop! I am drooling all over my keyboard!! :heart:heart Stunning. I want one! I would love to have one of a calico telescope or black moor. A betta or koi would be nice too. :yeah: Can you do one of those? What size, price would they be? If you don't feel comfortable discussing it here you can email me....let me know. I am very interested!

Guest Sangreaal

Here's a happy one I did of Timukin and Hermoine when they arrived in their shipping bag. They were so sweet from the first! Hermoine was talking to me right away as they floated in the tank to equalize temps before release. It was an interesting conversation we had, and what a character she was and is even now. I think Timukin, not knowing a word of English, was asking Hermoine to ask me how much longer they had to stay in that stinking bag.... *LOL*

100_7941caxcx.jpg

Edited by Sangreaal

Guest Sangreaal
Oh Marie stop! I am drooling all over my keyboard!! :heart:heart Stunning. I want one! I would love to have one of a calico telescope or black moor. A betta or koi would be nice too. :yeah: Can you do one of those? What size, price would they be? If you don't feel comfortable discussing it here you can email me....let me know. I am very interested!

LOL!!!! *hands her a roll of Bounty and a drool cup*

If I actually owned or captured the fish with my own camera, or had permission from the owner of the photograph that I could take the image from, then yes, I can do any fish. I've got gazillions of koi art, but I've just started into goldies. So there's not much. Yet. You're seeing my first right here and now.

As far as advertising on this forum, I believe there is this 100 post rule before I can offer anything for sale. I understand why this is--there's lots of scammers out there and we fish people are deer-in-headlights stupid when it comes to anything fish. *LOL* So it's nice to be able to be certain that a seller is known and trusted aforehand.

I can wait. This thread is gonna get reallllllly long as I share the artistic story of my beginnings in fancy goldfish collecting..... :happydance:happydance:D

Marie

Edited by Sangreaal

I understand about the advertising. I can wait, just keep me in mind as your work progresses. :D I look forward to seeing more pics!

Guest Sangreaal
I understand about the advertising. I can wait, just keep me in mind as your work progresses. :D I look forward to seeing more pics!

:D Well then....

100_8730caxcT.jpg

Thanks Mads! :D

No probs, there's been a couple of thumbs up behind the scenes, but we'll have to wait to hear back from koko..

Marie, -Thanks for the suggestion re corel, I'll look into it, I really miss being able to do stuff with my pics. I gotta say I love your tri coloured oranda, s/he is a stunner, a real flirt with the camera too! some really nice art there! :D

That is some wonderful work, Marie! Such talent with the different photoshop and whatnot varieties! How long have you been practising this kind of work - it is really cool. Plus, your oranda loves to show off for pictures, doesn't he? :heart