Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tinkokeshi

Chironomidae... Chironomidae... And More Chironomidae!

okay, so the other day when i was cleaning out all my tanks in preparation for daniel's visit... i was doing water changes on all the fishtanks and i noticed there were weird what looked like mosquito larvae at the water edge of the pleco tank and what looked like mosquitoes around that tank.. EWW!! so i freaked!

after extensive research, i've found that they aren't flies, but Chironomidae... the adult version of bloodworms. EEEK! so i freak out some more.

so apparently while i was soaking my mopani driftwood outside to get rid of some of the tannins, adult midges apparently laid eggs on my driftwood... so never having used driftwood before, i didn't know i should have nuked the thing before putting it into my tank. so now i've got live bloodworms squirming around in my pleco tank. *sigh*

so yesterday, i got me some creamsicle lyretail mollies and some silver lyretail mollies, and they are definitely happy campers. 6 mollies in a 55 gal tank with a prehistoric pleco and all you can eat bloodworms.

*whew* i am SO glad they're not mosquitoes...

the mopani wood has become a pain in the butt by the way... it apparently oozes sap in the water too which starts off as this white snot looking like glob... which then darkens into a brown blob of goo which is a bit sticky. this also means that it's fairly dense and my python has a hard time of sucking it up out of the tank.

*sigh* in chinese this would be called "bringing trouble upon oneself"...

haha i thought i was making the tank pretty, but all i did was open a tank full of worms!!!

Oh Hsi Hou you poor dear. I've had some weird worm things growing in one of my tanks, too.... they are so gross and hard to get rid of!

But just remember... DANIEL IS COMING TO VISIT!! That should make it alllllll better.

(And you can make him do some water changes, :teehee )

Good luck hun!

haha daniel already came out this past saturday.

i didn't get a chance to show him my aqua babies though...

which i suppose isn't a bad thing because the tanks weren't in pristine condition with little midge flys buzzing all around. :unsure:

maybe next time. :D

ooho that's bad lol I would freaked out also! lol ...

Where did you get the wood? Usally if it's driftwood from LFS then it should be safe, but still need to be soaked in water for a long time before putting in the tank. I use to have a piece of driftwood until i moved and left it somewhere <___<

the wood is a piece of zoo-med mopani wood from the petstore. i'm pretty sure the midge flies laid eggs on it while it was soaking outside to be rid of the dark, dark tannin water. :P

haha so i ended up with bloodworms in my tank. gross if you ask me!

the mopani wood has become a pain in the butt by the way... it apparently oozes sap in the water too which starts off as this white snot looking like glob... which then darkens into a brown blob of goo which is a bit sticky. this also means that it's fairly dense and my python has a hard time of sucking it up out of the tank.

So is the mopani wood still a pain in the butt? I have just acquired a bristlenose pleco (Buzz), who is headed for my 55 gallon goldfish tank when he is done with QT. I have a small/medium size piece of mopani wood that I bought months ago and haven't used for anything yet. I have read that the pleco needs some wood for roughage, so I figured I would add it to my 55 gallon.

When I first got it I soaked it for two weeks. Now I have been boiling it all day today. The hot water is still turning orange, but I don't see any sap at all. Would you advise me against using it? My water is high pH (8.4+) and my KH is way high, so I am not at risk for a problem with the wood making my pH too low (actually some reduction would probably be a good thing).

i didn't notice any sap until i stuck it in the tank though...

it first starts off as a white look in the crevices... usually on the underside of the wood...

then this tan colored snot like stuff that darkens.

from the reading i did on the wood, i'm pretty sure it's the sap coming out of the wood.

it's not bad now, now that i have the mollies in there. =)

it's actually quite pretty now.

still a little glob of snot here and there, but otherwise very pretty!

the water is a bit green tea colored though.

but all i did was open a tank full of worms!!!

:tomuch: HH, that cracked me up!

-Not sure it's the same thing, but I often found in the driftwood I kept in with my trops (way back when) that the driftwood tended to have white fluffy blooms of 'stuff', -especially when I first put it in the tank, I did a bit of asking around some said that it was just a small fungal bloom, a natural part of the break-down of the driftwood and no threat to healthy fish, and it's actually quite nutritious and your plec will thrive on it! -after a while your pleco shoud keep the white fluff nicely mown, I'm not sure about the sap stuff though :unsure:

Acupunk, with hard alkaline water, driftwood would be the one thing I'd suggest as a natural way to soften and acidify your water. -One thing about it though, for a long time your wood will continue to leach tannins, -it's an aesthetic that can grow on you, especially if you have a natural layout of your tank to begin with, but if you hate the tannin in the water you can put a packet of "biochem-zorb" in your filter, this resin adsorbs the tannins clearing and polishing the water, it can last up to about 2 months from memory (haven't kept trops for a while now!) but once it's exhausted the water will turn tea coloured again.

hope this helps, -don't be purturbed by fuzz at the start, it might take a month or two for it to settle down, but with bristles they'll make short work of it! :D

Acupunk, with hard alkaline water, driftwood would be the one thing I'd suggest as a natural way to soften and acidify your water. -One thing about it though, for a long time your wood will continue to leach tannins, -it's an aesthetic that can grow on you, especially if you have a natural layout of your tank to begin with, but if you hate the tannin in the water you can put a packet of "biochem-zorb" in your filter, this resin adsorbs the tannins clearing and polishing the water, it can last up to about 2 months from memory (haven't kept trops for a while now!) but once it's exhausted the water will turn tea coloured again.

I don't think that I will might the water discoloration -- I put the wood in the tank this morning and the slight discoloration kind of makes everything look "warm" in a very pleasant way. For future reference, will Biochem Zorb crash my cycle? I googled it and it says that it removes "organic pollutants and metabolic byproducts". Does this mean ammonia and nitrite?

It's not designed to adsorb ammonia/nitiite/nitrate. I had no problem with my cycle for the three years I kept driftwood/biochemsorb in my tropical tank.

just a simple carbon filter also helps with the coloration of the leeching tannins.

i had stuffed an old whisper filter pad baggie thing with carbon and put it in my penguin filter...

only to find later that a midge fly laid eggs in there

so the whole filter pad was covered in blood worms.

ICK!

it was chucked in the trash.

i was not about to pick off the bloodworms.

so back to oolong tea colored water. :P

I have some real indian almond leaves left over from when I had a betta. They are the actual leaves from a tree in malaysia. I have a betta breeder friend who lives over there that sent them to me. Question is , is it good to use with goldies? Just wondering cause I have a bunch in a ziplock bag not being used. I know they keep the water antibacterial .