Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shrtshaman

Fresh Foods..what Are Your Fisshy Faves?

hi all,

what fresh foods do you feed your fishy frens and how do you prepare them to get the best result and less mess in the tank?? if this topic has another thread please link me to it, so that i may educate my new self... the only fresh i have seen used untill now are lettace, cucs, orange slices.

thanks rita

I used to microwave frozen peas, shell them and et them dry up and then they would be like sinking pellets.

With the exception of pellets, I never throw more than they chew at the time... e.g. peas, corn, rice

Recently, I tried chicken egg yolk (hard-boiled, cooled under water) they love it :D I thought if fries love it, adults must too. I'm not sure if it's good nutrition wise so if somebody can let me know that'd be great. And because this can be quite messy, make sure you put in the pieces that are rather solid not easily dissolved... and one piece at the time for each goldfish... don't just throw the whole ball in there.

I will also try beans tomorrow see if they love it. :D

I've given my fish peas and steamed broccoli. Since my fish are fairly small, with the frozen peas, I thaw them between my fingers, peel off the outer skin, then tear them into small pieces and drop them into the tank one by one. My fish never even let them hit the bottom of the tank. :)

With the broccoli, we have held a small "tree" at the top of the tank and the fish come up and tear off a piece. This does get messy, so next time I'll probably drop little pieces in, not bigger than they can get in their mouth at once.

I would also add cuccumber..make sure it is nice and soft

Also don't feed goldfish corn...it can block up there degestive system..

And make sure the veg. contains no salt..

My fishies LOVES to shred broccoli appart! It's entertaining to watch. I put a bowl of water with the broccoli in it and put it in the microwave for about 2 minutes. The broccolis becomes soft and easy to eat for them. Before putting it in the tank, make sure to cool it off first, we don't want to hurt our little friends. =)

Guest Carebear

The boys get cooked shelled peas with every feeding.

hi guys thanks so much for all the goodies to try...so far the peas and brocolie are a hit!!! even the cats and loaches like them..

rita

i like to give my babies a slice of orange once in a while. sometimes they get peas, broccoli, or cucumber! i like to buy more than one type of fish food and each time i feed them i try to grab a different type/brand of fish food. i figure that way they are getting all the nutrition they need. i do want to try boiled egg yoke soon.

hi Ms M.

i do this also...a varity of foods...puffer realy likes brine shrimp and the peas realy went over good.

has anyone feed shredded carrots??? or cabbage??

thanks

^I tried carrots, even if they're boiled 100% they still contain that hard part that is difficult for goldies to chew... I tried multiple times they don't like it. I haven't tried taking the core out though... maybe without the core (the white part) and just the outer part (orange part) would be better.

How do you do the cucumber? Microwave it too?

Is this true about corn... what if I soften it up just like peas?

Guest dcninja

i havent tried fresh foods yet... what's easiest and won't hurt the mystery snails I've got?

^I tried carrots, even if they're boiled 100% they still contain that hard part that is difficult for goldies to chew... I tried multiple times they don't like it. I haven't tried taking the core out though... maybe without the core (the white part) and just the outer part (orange part) would be better.

How do you do the cucumber? Microwave it too?

Is this true about corn... what if I soften it up just like peas?

I just cut a slice?of?the?cucumber and use one of those clips with a suction cup to hold it in place. My goldfish LOVE to chew out the middle?so?that?only the peal?is?left?when?they?are?done?with?it?I push it to the bottom so the snails can eat it. The cucumber goes over really well with both the mystery snails and the goldfish.

has anyone used cooked beans such as chick peas, lentils,split peas, black eye peas..etc..barley???

what about scrambled egges not hardboiled???

^I'm not sure about scrambled eggs lol wouldn't it be too oily?

I'm trying beans tomorrow :)

^I'm not sure about scrambled eggs lol wouldn't it be too oily?

I'm trying beans tomorrow :)

i don't know about scrambled eggs either. i never heard anything about that before.. what if you scrambled them WITHOUT oil or put it in the microwave with no oil. i don't know if you can feed egg white but i don't see why not. see what everyone one ese says about egg white.

I tried beans today and they love it. The beans are from the cans and I dip them underwater just to remove the excess juices... and remove the outer skin just like peas.

I am not sure what the beans are called but they're just like the beans we eat at cafes for breakfast along with eggs and bacon. And since it can dissolve in the water quite easily depending on what type of bean (some are more solid), make sure to give them the solid part (just like hard boiled egg yolk)

we can add bananas also to the list for mine, they just gobbled it all up...i want to try out apples....and green beans...now i am not sure what beans nakedsnake is refering to, could you tell me the color of them??? i am a cook and i am perplexed as the the breackfast bean??

thanks rita

my fishies' fave is orange, i cut a slice and out it in the veggie clip

Rita, I think the beans Nakedsnake is referring to are baked beans. They are small and white, maybe called navy beans in the US?

Sorry about the pic lol but it's this bean...

white-bean-garlic.jpg

And this... :)

kidney-beans.jpg

Note I got them in the can so they're pre-cooked... I just washed them underwater to remove the juices and peel them

Hope your fish enjoy :D

Edited by nakedsnake