Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest insanity.rainbows

Do Your Goldfish Worry About Eachother?

Guest insanity.rainbows

Today after alot of time worrying i moved Niro (my black moor) into a hospital tank but [put it next to the old tank so he didnt get to worried. Prearly (my fantail) swam up to teh glass and has watched Niro for a while now.

Do you think this is because Pearly cares for Niro or is it somethign else?

Tell us your examples

I have noticed my black moore looking a little lost when I had to take my pearscale out for a while in the hospital tank..and he swam circles around him when he was put back in the main tank.. :)

Guest insanity.rainbows

Haha thats so nice!

So far the only time pearly will move from the side of the tank is for food. If Niro did pass on I'm sure she will be depressed

my common Ace freak out when I moved him away from his black moor friend Black Jack..

Guest insanity.rainbows

Niro just passed on, I left him to see if he was just not moving but he was dead.

Pearly has been searching for him around the tank its really sad to watch

Oh dear. I'm sooo sorry to hear about your fish.

Rest in peace Niro.

Nope mine are fish not supernatural fish. They could care less about each other.

Guest Sangreaal

I have a 10" Yamabuki Ogon koi that took the lemming leap out of her QT, dry out and stick to the floor between the 150 gallon's stand and the wall. Must have been there 20-30 minutes. Of course I freak out and almost get my head stuck getting her out of there. Miraculously she was still trying to pump air through her gills, so I wiped off the dustbunnies and pushed her back and forth in the tank to help her breathe. After 45 minutes of this, Yama finally got up enough strength to swim out of my hand, but not together enough to swim upright--she was really disoriented.

Bindi, her Tancho tankmate was worrying all over her as I worked to revive Yama. Once she was released from my hand, Bindi took over. She held Yama upright while they cruised the tank, and if the Yama flipped over, Bindi would swim around her middle and straighten her right out. When she could carry herself with a little more dignity, the Yama was taken on a bottom feeding tour by Bindi right beside her pushing and prodding and basically steering Yama the way to go, to help her find her way back to to the living.

It was amazing the care Bindi took of Yama. It was an example of a tankmate taking care of its own, and what I believe to be a very complex set of thoughts for a 'mere fish' to reason out as being helpful and nurturing.

I have a video of this somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post it if anyone's interested.

Guest dollface

oh no! poor niro!

are you going to get another friend to keep pearly company?

I think they do. A couple of years ago, I had a little lionhead named Sambo along with my other goldies. When Sambo got sick, before he passed away, my comet Ariel would gently nudge him and even tried to carry him around the tank on her snout. My oranda Fred Jr. would do something similar with my oranda Sade before she died.

I have a 10" Yamabuki Ogon koi that took the lemming leap out of her QT, dry out and stick to the floor between the 150 gallon's stand and the wall. Must have been there 20-30 minutes. Of course I freak out and almost get my head stuck getting her out of there. Miraculously she was still trying to pump air through her gills, so I wiped off the dustbunnies and pushed her back and forth in the tank to help her breathe. After 45 minutes of this, Yama finally got up enough strength to swim out of my hand, but not together enough to swim upright--she was really disoriented.

Bindi, her Tancho tankmate was worrying all over her as I worked to revive Yama. Once she was released from my hand, Bindi took over. She held Yama upright while they cruised the tank, and if the Yama flipped over, Bindi would swim around her middle and straighten her right out. When she could carry herself with a little more dignity, the Yama was taken on a bottom feeding tour by Bindi right beside her pushing and prodding and basically steering Yama the way to go, to help her find her way back to to the living.

It was amazing the care Bindi took of Yama. It was an example of a tankmate taking care of its own, and what I believe to be a very complex set of thoughts for a 'mere fish' to reason out as being helpful and nurturing.

I have a video of this somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post it if anyone's interested.

I would love to see the video if you can find it.

My fish don't care whos gone, because theres more food for them with less competition.

My fish don't care whos gone, because theres more food for them with less competition.

:exactly My fish are the same way... all they care about is food food food! the less competition, the better. Hehe. Although I will admit, having a tankmate makes a fish more active I think, but again, this might be due to competition for food and not necessarily the thrill of companionship.