Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bushman

Upside Down

Guest bushman

I have four large fantails (two of them with body lengths over 5 inches. and two about 4 inches. One of the largets ones seems to sleep laying upside down on the bottom of the tank. A LOT!! The second largest spends some time upside down too. I thought they were sick or something, but when you interact with them they play and swim normally. Is this normal. these are my first fish. I've had these for almost two years. they were less than 3/4 in long when I got them. now they are as big as my fist. I'm 6'3" 225 lbs. not small fists, not small goldfish. :krazy: They've been doing this upside down thing for several months now. Have they gotten so big that they can't balance or something? Help??

Sounds much like SBL (Swim Bladder Disorder). You can try feeding them boiled, de-shelled peas to help flush their digestive tract and loosen up their swim bladder. What kind of tank do you have them in? What are your parameters? What are you feeding them?

Edited by TamtheLittleBlackMoor

Guest bushman

Thank you for your responx se. I have them in a 60 gallon glass aquarium, filtered by a Tetra, whisper, 60 gallon bio-filter. We feed them TetraFin goldfish flakes, exclusively.

It is true that a diet of totally processed food (commercial fish food) can over time cause SBD. Fish should be offered peas and fresh vegetables and fruit sometimes. Fishfood also (esp flakes) loses all nutritional value after 6 months max and probably 3. Flakes encourage the fish to gulp air at the surface and sinking pellets are usually best for floaty if not all fish.

But other things can cause flipover. Sulfate reduction (toxic gas build up in gravel or substrate or even in a filter that is not working well), high bacterial load and also high nitrates are other examples.

I'm going to move this thread over to diagnosis discussion so you can get more help in the forum that deals with this. Meanwhile you'll need to answer some Qs that are in the white box at the top of that page. These Qs are designed to give us the best picture of your set up and include readings of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and pH if you possibly can :)