Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jon

I Think Im Finished With Fish Keeping

I think im done with fish keeping for a while, if not forever. A few weeks ago, Pepper, my last remaining goldfish passed. Not only that, but the guppies are just about gone too. Im just so tired of them dying. No matter what i do, they all die with in a few months. My water is always perfect, the tanks are kept clean, the fish are fed a wide rang of food, the list goes on. They just keep dying. Im gonna be getting rid of the 55 gallon tank and most likely the 30 gallon, but im not sure. I was thinking about trying cichlids, but they'd probally all just die too.

Guest dekstr

Aww that sucks.

It's good to take a break sometimes to recollect.

Fish keeping should be fun, you shouldn't force yourself if it's no longer fun.

Just give it time and?come?back?when?you're?ready!

i think you should at least keep the 55 so if you want to come back to it you can.....even if you dont maby you can use it for some other sort of critter.

Sorry to hear things haven't been going well with your fish :(

I've reached that point in my past as well and I gave up fish keeping for years. Maybe a break is a good thing, but you never know, you may feel recharged after a while and want to get back at it (I hope you do!)

I'm sorry that fishkeeping hasn't been happy for you. At 15 you have many things going on in your life.

If you feel the need for a break then most certainly - take one. But I hope the love of fish will bring you back one day. :) Don't be too eager to get rid of the tanks, etc. You may walk into a fish store one day, and the most wonderful fish will beg you to take it home. :exactly

:hug

Debbie

Don't give up...I have thought of giving up...but I just keep on getting pulled back in..

Are you still going to come back every once in a while?

Edited by FishCrazy

Guest fishchick
I think im done with fish keeping for a while, if not forever. A few weeks ago, Pepper, my last remaining goldfish passed. Not only that, but the guppies are just about gone too. Im just so tired of them dying. No matter what i do, they all die with in a few months. My water is always perfect, the tanks are kept clean, the fish are fed a wide rang of food, the list goes on. They just keep dying. Im gonna be getting rid of the 55 gallon tank and most likely the 30 gallon, but im not sure. I was thinking about trying cichlids, but they'd probally all just die too.

Oh no, I am so sorry about lack of success. Fish are so much fun and if anyone can help you to be successful I'm sure it's the helpful forum folks!!!

Sorry Jon i don't know what to say i have gone through this phase but decided to stick to it. My little brother lost all his fish and he thought he would never get another fish but i persuaded him and now his tank is cycling (again lol). It is just the way of nature if it was meant to happen it was meant to happen. Cichlids are great fish. Were you thinking of setting up a cichlid only tank or a community tank? Even if you decide not to keep fish anymore i would keep the tanks put them into storage that way if you change your mind they are always there and you will not have to fork out some money for a new tank. You may even to decide to get a pet that has nothing to do with fish like a snake or something else lol.

What ever your decision is it your decision i hope you do the right thing by yourself :)

We all know how you feel. I think you got some good advise here, take the break you need your know when your ready if at all again. But I think you will come back to it again someday, which is why I agree to hold on to the tank. Just wrap everything up and put it in the garage or basement.

Can't hurt, if you decide you want to go again your save a lot of $. and if years pass and your done you can sell them in a yard sale.

I'm going through the same thing now with my pond, losing fish after fish. Running back & forth for meds and treatments and not seeing any results, just another getting sick and dyeing. It's heart breaking. If I loose them all hubby said we should get frogs but I dont think the dogs will like that idea. Maybe turtles

I feel pretty similar peaches, I only have 2 goldies left in my 100gallon tank (as well as mrs bristlenose!) and am at least wanting to scale down, I don't want to get rid of a tank altogether as I find them really soothing. I think I'm going to downgrade to a 120cm tank from my 150.

Might change from goldies to some tropicals, try get some plants growing which I've never been able to do because of the goldies.