Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
solidgold

My New Fish

Wow they're all gorgeous! Are they from a local fish store? I wish I had access to beauties like that! (not that mine are ugly.... ugh they're giving me dirty looks now) :)

Hi!

Thank you very much!! I got them from "The Fish Sempai" he imports and breeds fish and is only 10mins from where I live. I was very impressed with him and would go back to him again. Highly recommended.

aww cute fish and pretty tank how big is it? I love the lionheads!

I really like the lionheads I got as well...they aren't as shy as the other new ones in the tank. My tank is 16gals.

16 gals :unsure: i don't want to be the bad guy, but 16 gals is not enough for 5 goldies. you need a bigger tank, or less fish, one or the other really. especially when your water params are up like they are. you have beautiful fish, and i'd hate to see them all cramped in a little tank when they could grow into big mommas :) 16 gals won't last too long really before it gets nasty in there, with lack of space or poisonous water...i made the same mistakes when i started out, had 5 fish in a tank that was probably barely 5 gallons...ouch!

Opps! Sorry my tank is 26 gal not 16. I know 26 is still too small for 5 fish once they start to grow.

nice fish from the fish sempai.....if you dont mind me asking, how much is each fish there?

Mine where babies and I payed $10.00 each.

hi steve how is how is everyting in the tank tonight hope you didn't get too much snow ,here along lake erie we were pelted with freezing rain....again..I was starting to worry that the hydro was going to go out again. and I would be doing a lot of water changes :)

hi steve how is how is everyting in the tank tonight hope you didn't get too much snow ,here along lake erie we were pelted with freezing rain....again..I was starting to worry that the hydro was going to go out again. and I would be doing a lot of water changes :)

Hi!

I did 2 50% water changes yesterday and still my tank is at 1.0 ppm for ammonia. I will just keep it up until it starts to go down. The fish are doing good. They are coming out more and more each day. Yes, we sure got a lot of snow yesterday...I am a dog groomer and mad many cancellations...oh well, all the more time to do water changes LOL.

Stephen : )

Hi!

I did 2 50% water changes yesterday and still my tank is at 1.0 ppm for ammonia. I will just keep it up until it starts to go down. The fish are doing good. They are coming out more and more each day. Yes, we sure got a lot of snow yesterday...I am a dog groomer and mad many cancellations...oh well, all the more time to do water changes LOL.

what kind of water conditioner are you using?

Hi!

what kind of water conditioner are you using?

Big Al's water conditioner

I was wondering if youe water conditioner is giving you a false reading ..prime does if you do not use the right ammonia test kit ..to test this test tap water first to be sure there is none in your tap water then add the conditioner and test again and if ammonia shows up you know it is the conditioner .. :)

I was wondering if youe water conditioner is giving you a false reading ..prime does if you do not use the right ammonia test kit ..to test this test tap water first to be sure there is none in your tap water then add the conditioner and test again and if ammonia shows up you know it is the conditioner .. :)

Thanks Heidi!!

Beautiful fish. All of them. And your tank is too.

You will need to be doing water changes twice daily as Hi-d says. 50% morning and 50% evening because you are overstocked and so ammonia builds up so much faster. Once you are "cycled" you can do less but "cyling" is going to take more than a month. Its a lot of work at first to keep them safe but its the only way.

You can let your water sit out just a day. I do. Use the bucket water for the morning change. Fill them and add your water treater again and the water will be conditioned and ready for the evening change :)

Gee I hate to be the bad guy here but although YES you have picked out some very pretty fish & YES you are lucky to live so close to a great importer I have this question that I have to ask! WHY would you buy THAT many fish at one time knowing you would be very overstocked???? Why not pick one or two & have them live happily in your current tank? You are not going to be able to enjoy having the fish becuase you will have to work daily (probably several times daily) just to barely keep the water somewhat safe for them.

Maybe you could return all but two and have a nice home for them.

Gee I hate to be the bad guy here but although YES you have picked out some very pretty fish & YES you are lucky to live so close to a great importer I have this question that I have to ask! WHY would you buy THAT many fish at one time knowing you would be very overstocked???? Why not pick one or two & have them live happily in your current tank? You are not going to be able to enjoy having the fish becuase you will have to work daily (probably several times daily) just to barely keep the water somewhat safe for them.

Maybe you could return all but two and have a nice home for them.

So far I have been changing the water 2 times a day and all is fine...I do my water parameters 2 times a day as well and the cycle is coming along just fine. The Fish Sempai said that it would be fine to have 5 fish (since they are small guys) in the tank I have right now but they will need to be moved to a bigger tank. I am getting a bigger tank...in fact I am looking into the tank right now. I appreciate your concern...

ooooooooo did ya get a new tank!!!! ..lol...and how did the test with the water conditiner turn out :)

No not yet...I don't know what type of tank I should get brand wise. Filter wise I know you should have 10X the filtration rate from reading this board. Any recommendations for filter brand? Andrew from Fish Sempai really likes aquaclear filters. I know the tank should be longer and not super high height wise. Every time I go to the the lfs I am so overwhelmed and I find they don't know much about goldfish when I ask them questions. I find they turn their noses up at the word goldfish. I would have never gotten the tank I have if I would had read this message board first...oh well, I am still learning. Oh...I would like to get a 50-60gal tank or if I cant find anything that fits into my small space mabe a 30-49gal tank and put the orandas in that. I don't know...too many options...

Stephen

Oh!! the test with the water conditioner went as follows

I took a sample from the bucket that had no conditioner added, a sample with conditioner added and a sample right out the faucet and they all had an ammonia reading of 0.50ppm.

so you have ammonia in your tap water????......I have a tetra kit I really like it (55g) and a tetra 29g they both came with whisper filters .they are good gives 330 gph turn over but then I also put on a dynaflo 3 and that has 300gph so all together I have aprox 630 most likly less by the time you get build up in the filters ..some people here run there tanks 17x over..as long as your fish have a spot the can rest without being tost about .I have each of my filters at either end leaving the center of the tank for them to rest. get a KIT it will save you a lot of money my 55g kit by tetra was 200$ it comes with the hoods, heater .filter net, and a few things and then buy an extra fiter of your choice ..a lot of people here like the aquaclear..I like the dynoflo I bought it breaks the surface really good my fish like it as well ,Ill catch them playing in the current it makes ..

so you have ammonia in your tap water????......I have a tetra kit I really like it (55g) and a tetra 29g they both came with whisper filters .they are good gives 330 gph turn over but then I also put on a dynaflo 3 and that has 300gph so all together I have aprox 630 most likly less by the time you get build up in the filters ..some people here run there tanks 17x over..as long as your fish have a spot the can rest without being tost about .I have each of my filters at either end leaving the center of the tank for them to rest. get a KIT it will save you a lot of money my 55g kit by tetra was 200$ it comes with the hoods, heater .filter net, and a few things and then buy an extra fiter of your choice ..a lot of people here like the aquaclear..I like the dynoflo I bought it breaks the surface really good my fish like it as well ,Ill catch them playing in the current it makes ..

Yes, I have ammonia in my tap water. I was a little surprised. I have printed out your response and I am going to my lfs later today to see if I can find these. Do you think Big Al's would carry the tetra brand?

they might ,they had all kinds of kits their I think ..I was to distracted by the huge tanks that made my 55g look like a 5g..I got mine at ruffins and I know Wa*m*rt has good kits

Edited by hi-d

they might ,they had all kinds of kits their I think ..I was to distracted by the huge tanks that made my 55g look like a 5g..I got mine at ruffins and I know Wa*m*rt has good kits

Well Hi-D

I went to Wa*-M*rT yesterday and found the 55gal kit you were talking about. I believe it was $269.00can which is a lot less than what I paid for my 26gal that can't even be upgraded. I think I may just purchase it...I just have to find a place to put it. If I can find a place to put it, I will just buy the 30gal and move 2-3 fish into that one and have 2 in my 26 gal. Do you think that would be ok? I took out the gravel yesterday from the tank because it was a nightmare to clean. Hopefully it will help my parameters as well. I am learning something new each day let me tell you...

Stephen

gravel is a nightmare !!!!I have riverrock in my 55 and basically bare bottom in my 29 ..I personally would get the 55 if you can get a spot for it because you would be trying to cycle 2 tanks and I don't know why buy cycling can be exspensive..by the time you cycle 2 tanks you'll be pulling your hair out !!and the cost of water conditioner and testkits etc,etc,etc...would amount up to a cost of a goood strong stand for a 55 ..pulling out the gravel all at once will set your cycle back so keep a closer eye for spikes on your water prameters not that I think you will put that gravel crap back in but just incase you do ,you should take it out gradually :)

Very pretty babies!!!!

gravel is a nightmare !!!!I have riverrock in my 55 and basically bare bottom in my 29 ..I personally would get the 55 if you can get a spot for it because you would be trying to cycle 2 tanks and I don't know why buy cycling can be exspensive..by the time you cycle 2 tanks you'll be pulling your hair out !!and the cost of water conditioner and testkits etc,etc,etc...would amount up to a cost of a goood strong stand for a 55 ..pulling out the gravel all at once will set your cycle back so keep a closer eye for spikes on your water prameters not that I think you will put that gravel crap back in but just incase you do ,you should take it out gradually :)

just wanted to add don't worry about it too much most bb's are in the filter :) I also learned this the hard way :D