Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
solidgold

My New Fish

they are so adorable !!!!I love the red cap lionhead :heart ...oh I can't pick a favorite!!!!they all have puppy faces!!!your tank is very nice ..theyre so little I can only see the one are the rest hiding ?..congrats on your new fish !!!!!

they are so adorable !!!!I love the red cap lionhead :heart ...oh I can't pick a favorite!!!!they all have puppy faces!!!your tank is very nice ..theyre so little I can only see the one are the rest hiding ?..congrats on your new fish !!!!!

Thank you! The tank is small and am sure they will outgrow it fast...how long do you think it will last? I really like the lionheads as well...they don't seam to be as shy. My Ornadas are very shy. All the fish seem to be hiding in the bottom right corner of the tank. Is this normal for them to do this when introduced to a new tank? If so, how long does it take for them to start exploring?

Stephen : )

try turning out the lights in your tank for a day or 2 I think you won't be able to resist a larger tank..I would be shopping for one now they may grow very fast and by the time a new one cycles they may be ready for one ..Hows the water is it ok ? you said you were checking it a lot .if they went to absolutly bare tank to paradise ,it my be a little overwhelming .

I was looking at your tank again do they have a lot of swimming room I cant tell how wide your tank is ? :)

I have a fair amount of swimming room in the front of the tank...I pushed most of the stuff near the back and around the filters.

I think it is 16" from front to back...

Stephen

Edited by Steve

try turning out the lights in your tank for a day or 2 I think you won't be able to resist a larger tank..I would be shopping for one now they may grow very fast and by the time a new one cycles they may be ready for one ..Hows the water is it ok ? you said you were checking it a lot .if they went to absolutly bare tank to paradise ,it my be a little overwhelming .

Yes, they came from a large empty ground tank.

My Water is ok...I am changing 5 gal of water a day and have added salt. As soon as I added salt they started to come out of hiding but are still sticking close to the corner. I am just feeding them a pinch of Pro Gold once a day.

P.H. 8.4 (we have very high PH in our area)

Ammonia 0.25

Nitrate 10

not sure what the nitrite is

I would change 10g or more daily and I would get your nitrite read and get in that gravel with your gravel vac daily really good ..Please be careful with your gravel vac I took my eyes off mine for one second and my large oranda got sucked up and got stuck tonight he is fine but I could of killed him . :(

I love the chocolate oranda! very special!

Good looking fish.

Watching a tank during cycle is a bit of a chore, but it's worth it.

5 new fish at the same time, Lucky you!!!

Wow they're all gorgeous! Are they from a local fish store? I wish I had access to beauties like that! (not that mine are ugly.... ugh they're giving me dirty looks now) :)

Beautiful fish and tank! I am very tempted to get a ranchu or lion head but I can't seem to find a store here locally that carries them :( . Good luck with your new fishies!!!

aww cute fish and pretty tank how big is it? I love the lionheads!

Wow they're all gorgeous! Are they from a local fish store? I wish I had access to beauties like that! (not that mine are ugly.... ugh they're giving me dirty looks now) :)

Hi!

Thank you very much!! I got them from "The Fish Sempai" he imports and breeds fish and is only 10mins from where I live. I was very impressed with him and would go back to him again. Highly recommended.

I really like the lionheads I got as well...they aren?t as shy as the other new ones in the tank. My tank is 16gals.

Hi!!

Well I did a 50% water change as Hi-D recommended and turned off the light. My fish are starting to really explore the tank and are using the little cave I made for them. My 2 lionheads come out as soon as they see me and seem to be the real social ones out of the bunch. My Ranchu seems to follow the leader with the Lionheads while the Orandas prefer to stay hidden at the moment. I am really enjoying them and I think I am hooked ...I need a goldfish Help Line.

Here are my parameters that I took later today

High Range P.H 8.0

Ammonia 1.0 PPM

Nitrite 0.25 PPM

Nitrate 10 PPM

Let me know what you think...

I am only feeding them a little pinch of food (it hardly seems like enough food) to help curb the ammonia spike and doing large water changes as well.

Thanks again

Stephen

keep that ammonia down 1 ppm is to high and starts to burn .your tank has a sudden extra bioload so during this you may have to do 2 water changes daily . I would do another water change 50% will bring it down to 0.5 try a 75-80 % I'm glad your fish are starting to feel at home keep the ammonia and nitrites as low as possible and they should pick up there usual goldfish habits.I just wanted to add that high ph with high ammonia is very toxic I had to look out for the same thing during my cycle ph of 8 is fine but you have to be very vigulent on water change don't even look at your water bill when it comes in ..lol

Edited by hi-d

keep that ammonia down 1 ppm is to high and starts to burn .your tank has a sudden extra bioload so during this you may have to do 2 water changes daily . I would do another water change 50% will bring it down to 0.5 try a 75-80 % I'm glad your fish are starting to feel at home keep the ammonia and nitrites as low as possible and they should pick up there usual goldfish habits.

I have been storing water in 2 4.5gal buckets with air stones in them for 24 hours so that the water goes to room temp and the chlorine evaporates... if I do a 75-80% water change will it hurt the fish if I take the water right from the tap and put it in the tank? I have the de-chlorinators but am not 100% sure how to use them.

Stephen

I use prime But I have used others and you can add the conditioner to the buckets and add .I take water straight from the tap let it sit add the declorinator and it works fine .I use a pool test to see how fast dechorinator works it's almost instant..even if you WARM water on the stove and mix it in to a bucket of cool and add conditioner it will be fine.always use water conditioner clhorine may evaporate but I belive chlorimine dosn't so conditioners are a must .

Guest dmartins

nice fish from the fish sempai.....if you dont mind me asking, how much is each fish there?

Hi!

Thank you very much!! I got them from "The Fish Sempai" he imports and breeds fish and is only 10mins from where I live. I was very impressed with him and would go back to him again. Highly recommended.

I really like the lionheads I got as well...they aren't as shy as the other new ones in the tank. My tank is 16gals.

16 gals :unsure: i don't want to be the bad guy, but 16 gals is not enough for 5 goldies. you need a bigger tank, or less fish, one or the other really. especially when your water params are up like they are. you have beautiful fish, and i'd hate to see them all cramped in a little tank when they could grow into big mommas :) 16 gals won't last too long really before it gets nasty in there, with lack of space or poisonous water...i made the same mistakes when i started out, had 5 fish in a tank that was probably barely 5 gallons...ouch!