Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trico

Where Do I Buy Brine Shrimp Eggs?

Well I searched the pet(you know what is on the end co and smart) And they don't have live brine shrimp eggs, I need some for the fry I got whacked on the face with. I really want to save all 5, this is the first time I've ever had goldie fry. Please help.

You can always buy frozen baby brine shrimp. They're a good sub for live ones.

Okay, thanks. So I've had the fry for 1 day and a half. I sprinkled a little food into the container they're in, and was thinking they eat more around 5 days right? Also would a move from the small container they're in into a bare 5 gallon work for them?

with brine shrimp and so so, you need the system or DIY system ot hatch the eggs in. I forgot but if you want i can look it up for you.

Thanks but I don't need you to look it up for me, I know how to hatch them, I just don't know where to easily get them.

surprised they didn't have the eggs there. Might try a local non big box store lfs?

Yea, wallace's mart doesn't have em, even under the name of "Sea monkies"

well no wonder you can't find any living on mars.... ;)

Do you have any local fish stores? rather than big box stores. They sometimes carry the odd stuff like that.

Yep if u insist of hatching live ones, local fish stores should have them.

If I'm not mistaken it takes a couple of days for the fry to consume their yolk sacs. You can always sprinkle a bit of food & see if they're already eating.

I get my brine shrimp eggs from www.brineshrimpdirect.com

If you have only 5 fry, though, you probably do not need the bulk that they sell. I have seen SanFran breed Brine Shrimp eggs in tiny test tubes for sale at Pet S m a r t. They sell about 3 -4 teaspoonfulls in those - enough for 5 fry to eat for a bit. I go through 4 teaspoonfuls of eggs a day!

I only have a pet*co the closest to where I live. The local fish store seems to be closing down, and since Its supposed to close at 5, I can't get to it until this saturday b/c I have dumb golf practice...

Oh no, one fry looks like he has a crooked back, I will let him grow, we'll see later.

No!!!... one of my 5 fry was mysteriously dead this morning...

At least I know the other ones are pooping, which means they're eating right?

Anyone can please answer why my fry keep dying? They're like 5 days old, and in that time 2 have the 5 have mysteriously died. My water quality is perfect, but I'm afraid to change the water since they're so small. And would somebody Pleassseeeee answer me this time...

Oh and can I keep them in a baby breeder in my main tank later too? answer all my Q's please?

Anyone have answers :yawn:(

I am sorry - I had computer problems this weekend.

As far as the fry dying..... all groups of fry will have a certain percentage that are simply "not made right". As they grow, their bodies seem to reach a point where they no longer can support themselves and they die. For example, if you have a fry that has a compromised digestive system. When it is young, it does not need so much food to live. As it grows, though, it needs a lot more - and the digestion system simply cannot process the food efficiantly enough and the little fish dies.

Many crosses between a mother fish and a father fish can be "good" or "bad". IF the fish are compatible in their genetic makeup, the proportion of viable fry will be higher. If the parents are not particularly compatible, you may get a huge number of incompatibilites. Last year I crossed a female with one male and got thousands of good fry. I crossed her with a different male and got less than 30% that were worth growing out - a great number that died on their own. All the fish - female and males were show quality fish. The female and the one male simply did not genetically compliment each other.

If you have 1000 fry and 30 percent of them are non-viable, you will still have 700 fry or so to pick from. If you have 5 fry and 30% of them are not viable.... the death percentage is substantially more devastating!

When you are dealing in breeding the fish, you do not know the genetic makeup of your parents. It is a rare breeder who keeps records of the crosses. But a breeder who has created a solid line of fish can count on good crosses.

I took the 4 "show quality" fry that I had last year from my Broadtail Ryukins and crossed them this year - back to the father (STerling) and to each other, to bring things to a line. Already, I am seeing the difference - with a far greater number of homogeneously GOOD fry.

As far as death in fry - when they are 5 days old or so, the deaths are probably because something has happened to the fry as it was hatching or so after. An egg must have lots of oxygen flow around it as it is developing. Eggs that are dumped on the bottom of a glass tank often do not have sufficant oxygen flow. The fry that hatch will commonly have a great number that die. Eggs should not touch each other, ideally, and, again, ideally, should be "hanging" off something that allows the water to flow all around the egg. After the fry hatches, they should hang off the glass and grass and such - again - to get the greatest water flow. At about 2 days of age, the fry make that all important dash to the surface to gulp air for their air bladders. IF the water is too deep, there is a scum on the surface, the currents are too great, etc. the fry do not make it to the surface and they will become belly sliders and die. After the fry get that gulp of air and are horizontally swimming in the water, they need FOOD. Food, food and more food. Even a few too many hours without food can seriously impact the health and growth of a fry. Any combinations of these factors that are less than ideal can lead to some fry die-off.

Fry also seem to got through these die-off periods at about 5 weeks, 8 weeks and 12 weeks of age, approximately. It is not always the smallest of the fish that die, either. Often it is the biggest "best" looking ones. I just do not count fry - or look at individuals for weeks - other than for culling purposes - for I do not want to count on any one particular fry making it or not.

As far as keeping them in the main tank, you need to make sure that they get sufficiant water turnover to keep the water clean, at least 70-71F temps. and loads of food available. You also need to make sure that they cannot escape. A fry in the main tank is food waiting to be eaten.

To change out the watr you can just scoop out cups of water and syphon water back in with an airline hose - gentle and slow will not harm any backs. I ahve to change out approximately 50% of my fry water every day - and that is with a sponge filter and a power sponge filter going. The fry tank that has the Emperor 400 running (40 gallon breeder) still needs a 50% change every 2-3 days. Fry feed heavily - every 3-4 hours - and make TONS of waste!

I'm still a novice, and I don't think I'm really up to the job :( another fry died today, but if they all pass, I won't be too rattled.

Thanks for the reply, I think my fry could be a calico pearl and a calico ryukin, but who knows.

I only have faith in one, as the other one is on his side by the surface all the time. Wish me luck

Best of luck. If it is any consolation, I had no real luck with my first batch - and not much better with my second. IT takes a lot of luck, a lot of work and a lot of time and patience to get good fish breeding.....

I hope your baby makes it.

Pearlscales are about as far "mutated" as a goldfish can get - and may be carrying a large percentage of what is called "fatal genes" - genes that, when combined with other common combinations, are not viable in a fry.

:hug

Do not give up!!!!

Thanks, I do hope he makes it. I keep telling myself its okay, and there were only 5. I didn't even notice breeding behavior.

Another fry bites the dust.

Now I have 1 lone survivor fry. He goes around eating and pooping like no bodys business.

I don't have high hops tho, it seems there were not really any viable fry. I really hope he makes it, I would love to get him to adulthood, but sadly I don't know if he will make it. Hes around a week old give or take.

I know this is a dumb question; but what do you think the odds of him surviving are? Hes about an eighth of an inch long, eating swimming, sad cuz his buddies are gone... he seems un"Deformed" from what I can tell, hes so small... any comments would be happily accepted.

Not anymore he died