Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sonny

Spring Checkup

Hi, Sonny! Funny thing, I was thinking about you and your ponds. I hadn't seen a post from you in awhile and decided I would search the archives for your old pics. Lo and behold, there's a new post! Beautiful pics, as always. And when you get a sec, tell me about that trough pond. I am going to set one up on my patio to take the place of a couple of smaller tubs. Tell me about Gator Guard and also, let me know what you're doing for filtration. I know those troughs have drain holes on the side. Are you using a retro drain?

Planning a larger pond construction and decided to follow your example and talk to a pond contractor. But I also want a 300g. trough tub like yours. Tractor Supply has a stack of 'em. May let some of the baby Jikin grow out there, this summer.

Thanks!

Johnny

beautiful fishies!

Thanks Callie and Shamu.

Hi, Sonny! Funny thing, I was thinking about you and your ponds. I hadn't seen a post from you in awhile and decided I would search the archives for your old pics. Lo and behold, there's a new post! Beautiful pics, as always. And when you get a sec, tell me about that trough pond. I am going to set one up on my patio to take the place of a couple of smaller tubs. Tell me about Gator Guard and also, let me know what you're doing for filtration. I know those troughs have drain holes on the side. Are you using a retro drain?

Planning a larger pond construction and decided to follow your example and talk to a pond contractor. But I also want a 300g. trough tub like yours. Tractor Supply has a stack of 'em. May let some of the baby Jikin grow out there, this summer.

Thanks!

Johnny

Hi Johnny,

The gator guard is a spray-on liner that is commonly used to line concrete ponds. I think there is a more generic term for it (polyurea maybe?). A friend of mine that builds ponds here knows a guy who does this and arranged for him to do my tank while he was working at another pond site. It cut down some on the cost. The tank does not use the drain holes that were pre-drilled. Instead we drilled two holes in the bottom for standard pond-type bottom drains. There's a thread somewhere out there that talks some more about the design and construction. I'll send you a link when I find it.

Sounds like you have some fun projects in the works!

Edited by Sonny

I may have to just pop over and swipe that Oranda!

I agree - your pond area is so calm and relaxing looking! What problems do you have with predators?

I may have to just pop over and swipe that Oranda!

I agree - your pond area is so calm and relaxing looking! What problems do you have with predators?

So far the only predator problems have been with people trying to sneak in and swipe my Oranda. :tomuch:

(just kidding)

Actually, we have had very few problems with predators. Even though we have neighborhood cats and opposums we have never had a fish harmed. I attribute this to the steep sided design and depth of the pond as there is really no way for an animal to wade in. A few years ago we did see a big white heron sitting on top of the garage roof looking directly down into the horse trough. It freaked me out but I have kept deer netting over that tank ever since and have not seen the bird since.

I hate talking about this though. I am superstitious and knocking on every wooden thing in site right now.

Keep knocking..... I am at this moment packing up a boxcar full of big blue heron, raccoons, fishing cats, possaum and coyote..... When I arrive to swipe that Oranda, I intend on letting them run!!!!

(Less for here!!! ;) )

(P.S. While I am at it, I should bring you about 254757987984754215743528 white tail deer - they are starving to death this year with the constant snow cover - they are even jumping up and down on their hind legs to try to strip the trees higher - they are girdling my oak trees! Obnoxious pests!!!)

:druel what a backyard i love the big pond :wub:

WOW your fish are so... well cute lol good job

Absolutly GORGEOUS!!! :wub: I wish I could find a bubble eye like yours! :druel

all i can say is wow!!!! i wish i had a pond like that!!

Thanks kindly dan, wizz, peanuts and melissa.

OH EM GEE Your Ryukin almost looks like mine and btw very pretty fish :exactly:carrot:

Edit: My ryukin must be related to yours o.o

Edited by omgitzandy

OH EM GEE Your Ryukin almost looks like mine and btw very pretty fish :exactly:carrot:

Edit: My ryukin must be related to yours o.o

Andy, I do see a resemblance! :exactly Oh emm gee... :D If not siblings they surely share a common ancestor.

Guest sparky

woow .....they are all gorgeous but i lu :heart uv tht ryukin with tht big round belly!! :heart