Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bubbles

Changing Tanks Gravel?

Im unsure if this is the right place to post this, but this was my best guess.. if Im wrong, sorry! I was just wondering.. I was wanting to put new gravel into my goldies 35 gallon tank because its really faded since I have had it for about five or possibly more years. But I was thinking, theres probably good bacterias built up in it. I was just wondering the best way to change the gravel over since I want a compleatly different colour and sort of a tank make over since its been the same for years. Anything would help, thank you!!

Edited by Bubbles

The good BB's usually live on the top layer of gravel. What you can do is scrape the top layer off and put it in a mesh bag or pantyhose, then tie it up and put it in a corner of your tank, then add your new gravel.

Depending on the thickness of your current gravel, I would also recommend placing your fish in a temporary holding container as you do the change. Sludge and muck tends to build up in gravel beds, and a sudden disturbances in the gravel may release toxins.

when i took out the gravel from my 260 litre, some of it was over 10 years old. I just took it out in my weekly water changes a bit at a time, in the end i just took out about half at once as i had been gravel vac as well. I think so long as you monitor you params. then you should be ok removing it quite quickly. Once it is all out you can clean the bottom properly.

What filtration do you have? Most of the bacteria live in your filters.

When I changed my gravel, I only needed to get rid of about half, so I put the fish in a separate container, sucked out about half of the water, then took out the old gravel and put in the new. Then I put fresh water (tap water that sat out for a day to get the chlorine out, of course) and the fish back in. You could probably do the same, only you'd change all the gravel. Don't clean any algae or mess with cleaning the filter when you do change the gravel, because you want to keep the bacteria in those places.

I think that Claire's suggestion of changing the gravel in halves (or even thirds) might be the safest route.

Make sure you rinse the new gravel well (until the water is clear) before you put it in your tank.

Guest Tonko

There's tons and tons of bacteria living in your filter media too, so don't be too worried about changing your gravel. A bit at a time will definitely make sure you don't muck up the cycle, but I would just as soon change all of it at once if I was doing it in one of my own tanks, maybe leave a little bit of the old mixed with the new to let some bacteria migrate but that's about it.

Thanks so much everyone this really helped! I might try keeping some in mesh or something and just put a new layer over it.