Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shamu23

Wild Goldfish Here?

I have a book about manitoba's freshwater fish and I was looking through it and guess what I found! Goldfish! The picture showed what looked like a greyish silver common. Apparently they live in some rivers here. It said that way back some aquarium goldfish were released by europeans so now theres wild goldfish. It said that if u were to bring them inside into an aquarium they will turn gold!

Wow I never heard that But I had a common goldfish that was silver and he turned gold.

That's really interesting, I've never heard that before (and I'm studying Candian fish biology!)

I wonder how many there are?

heres a good pic that compares the color of a wild and an aquarium goldfish

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mark.smith/gfish.jpg

if u look up wild goldfish u get lots of pics of them!

Edited by Shamu23

That's why it's illegal to release goldfish into lakes and streams. They will survive and breed.

That's why it's illegal to release goldfish into lakes and streams. They will survive and breed.

:exactly Our Australian Native fish have to compete with wild godfish, hence the decline in our native fish populations in some areas of Australia

So much damage comes from introduced animals, especially fish. Imagine how golides love to eat, they'd definatly be serious competition for native species!

Thats also the main reason why koi, rabbits and ferrets are illegal in Queensland. Don't blame them really..

Once when Larry and I were walking in the park, we went down by the river and there was this ENORMOUS fish stuck on the shore. It was dead when we found it, but we rolled it back into the river anyway. It looked like a giant silver colored carp. But that's the only one I've ever seen.

It would be neat if it was a goldie. I had never seen one that big before...

I tell Europeans have been responible for a LOT of that stuff**............ :rofl

There's those bullfrogs in australia, and etc.... etc.... and now those goldfish.........

hehe not to harp on any Europeans here :D

** Of course I mean that as lightheartedly as possible :)

Cane Toads came from Central and South America :P Can't blame the europeans for them! but we can blame them for the bunnies and ferrets :P

there was an article about a state in the USA that your not allowed to own Koi cause of people dumping them in to lakes. Here in Ca you can have ferrets due to the fact students would dump them off in the fields and then the population went crazy :(

Cane Toads came from Central and South America :P Can't blame the europeans for them! but we can blame them for the bunnies and ferrets :P

And the foxes.....

I wonder, if these populations are so high, why dont people capture and sell them? Im sure plenty of Goldfish Lovers would buy them all...

I wonder, if these populations are so high, why dont people capture and sell them? Im sure plenty of Goldfish Lovers would buy them all...

lol msot goldfish lover like fancy goldfish most of the time. I'm sure there are people out there that keep them

:rofl Bob, I thought you meant the pic in your siggy!!!