Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
arabpaso

Goldfish And Dogs

We all know cats and fish aren't always the best mix but what about dogs? My bf wants one and I don't. Should I be worried about the dog trying to drink out of the fishtank or pawing/scratching the stand or I don't know--do they even care about fish in tanks???! :unsure:

my dog doesnt care at all, lol. and he's really hyper and still a pup. he also goes outside and sometimes drink out of the pond, the fish would swim right up to him, lol. the fish are safe though, he's interested in their swimming, but have no intention of hurting them :D

Edited by love-rabbit-fish

My dogs are afraid of my fish :D

The only interaction my dogs have with the fish is that they beg for fish food at feeding time. :rofl

When my dog was a puppy he used to watch the fish and snap at the fish tanks. Now hes older he doesnt bother with them :)

my dogs sit on my bed and hide under the sheets they are scared watching them from my bed but if they are on the floor they watch them and there little tails wag like nuts

My black pug Reggie is quite aware of our fishtanks. When it comes to feeding time for my goldfish, Reggie jumps up to the couch near the aquarium to see what is going on. It's like he wants to know what is deverting my attention from him. He looks at the fish then me. Very cute.

I have five house dogs and they could care less about the fish. I have two yard dogs and when they come in the house they also could care less about the fish.

I have five house dogs and they could care less about the fish. I have two yard dogs and when they come in the house they also could care less about the fish.

if you don't mind me asking how big is your house that is alot of dogs

over here unless you live on a farm or acreage you are not aloud to have more than 2 dogs otherwise they get taken by the rspca as a breech of humane pet rights and housing agreements even if you own your own house seems strange but they took our neighbours dogs and i asked the guy from the rspca why

My Son-in-Law's dog, Blondie, used to drink from the fish tank's as she came down the stairs. Then one day she tried to drink from the turtle's tank and it snapped on her nose (not a snapping turtle - but a good 8 incher - so it STUNG!) Blondie never bothered the tanks again.

:yeah:

I do not think a dog should be any problem. If your stand is so weak that it cannot take a dog bumping it or a wagging tail then it is too weak anyway.

:)

Little house (no kids) but here you can have as many as you like as long as the neighbors don't care. I use to show and breed chihauhaus so four of the house dogs are tiny tiny. And the other one is only 8 pounds. In order to feel safe and not be robbed dogs are almost a must or some kind of alarm system. Dogs are more fun. lol

We're planning on getting a German Shepherd puppy in the Spring (when the tanks are all stabilized/healthy, so no distractions). We're going to teach him/her that the fishies are family too! :heart:yeah:

Make sure you get your GSD from a good breeder and that both parent dogs are certified with excellent hips. Not good or fair but excellent. Yes you'll have to pay extra but in the long run it well save money cause these guys have major hip issues.

Make sure you get your GSD from a good breeder and that both parent dogs are certified with excellent hips. Not good or fair but excellent. Yes you'll have to pay extra but in the long run it well save money cause these guys have major hip issues.

Yes, we know. But thank you! :yeah:

We LOVE GSDs. :heart My husband has had 3 and I had one growing up. Our boy Will was accepted this past fall into bomb & drug search with the Michigan State Police. It was tuff to see him go but we knew he was destined to be a working dog. G'Luck with your German Shepherd Pup.

My poodle, Buddy, LOVES the fish tanks! He thinks the fish are his. He also likes to "hunt" the bubbles in the Python siphon hose when I'm cleaning tanks, LOL. Silly Dog.

This is him with "his" goldfish:

BuddyShub.jpg

He likes to drink out of the lower tanks in the fish room, but doesn't harm any of the fish. The worst he's ever been is when he tried to swim in the pond when he was a puppy. Silly pup could not keep from stalking frogs. He'd hunt them but spit them out if he caught one. It was hysterical. :D

I've never had a problem with my dog, but my raccoon was another story. The only fish he could reach was a Betta, Victor. Victor survived the first attack, but Baby got ahold of him a second time (the Betta was on a shelf. I have no clue how the raccoon got up there) and he didn't pull through... Poor lil' guy... :cry

BTW, gardengirl, your dog and "his" fish are super cute :wub:

Edited by Anic

Okay, thanks everybody! That helped a lot to know they aren't really a problem with the fish.

About them pawing the fish stand--it's because mine are matching wood stands and I don't want them to get scratched up. Not because I thought they would fall over! :P

Okay, thanks everybody! That helped a lot to know they aren't really a problem with the fish.

About them pawing the fish stand--it's because mine are matching wood stands and I don't want them to get scratched up. Not because I thought they would fall over! :P

I don't think a dog would paw at your stands, Mine never does. If you get a puppy you'll have to be carefull when he's teething as ours liked to chew. Ours decided that he loved the Kitchen table legs, the living room rug and the easy chair and once even the stairs carpet. I'm not trying to put you off getting one, I think dogs are wonderful pets, they make the best companions and ask for very little in return (unlike cats where they constantly look at you like your scum.....but that could just be my cat). But you have to know what your letting yourself info, the chewing only happens for a short time and most puppies don't chew to the same extent as ours did, and it's very unlikly they would chew or paw at you stands. Please don't let my comments put you off owning a dog, though.

Our dog is a GSD aswll. He's 2 now (He's my other baby)

Edited to add: Buddy and his fish look so cute! Our dog Kane had his own fish but he never fed it or changed the water.

Edited by Peanuts

Guest eric2601

From what I understand as long as your fish is not territorial - and restrains from barking back at the dog in question - dogs will tollerate the intrusion. Just make sure you discourage any type of flurting between the two - I do not believe the offspring would be very popular among your quests - certainly not a hairy aquapuppy with a long tail barking bubbles and playing water polo....

Well, I still don't really want a dog, it's my bf's idea. He says it's for protection but he just likes them anyway which is ok. I'm just not a dog person although I do think they can be cute (like that poodle!!) and useful.

Eric--you are too funny!! I agree, a cross between dog and fish would not be a pretty sight. :D

Guest eric2601

Now see - you must become inventive here for the sake of your perferred pet and your aquapuppies having to give up territory to a slobering, boysterous flea bearing, shedding nightmare of a canine - may I suggest that you take advantage of the higher intelligence factor of a standard goldie over that of a dog - case in point - quiz question -

which of the two animals that we are speaking of, in some form of death-wish or severe injury, would jump at the opportunity to chase a cat; risking pride, blood, and permanant scaring for the sake of momentary amusement.. Oviously; of course the goldie is much smarter because goldies are keenly aware of what a feline's "paws of death" can do in damage - let alone the image of being eaten. A goldie never even indicates any remote interest in being acknowledged by a cat.

So; with that intelligence factor; may I suggest that you place an air whistle with a small tube that reaches the end down below the water line. Asd you are aware - goldies sleep with their eyes wide open - I have tested pPunch when he is "soiund asleep - in mid float mode - as I gently placed my hand into the water _remember punch - the petted fish -

is one of the videos - to see if he would become startled or if he was aware from the point of my hand enteringthe watrer- he never startled - and always gently came out of his trtance and snugglked into my hand. Therefore - with all these facts to bear on the case -

explain to your "hubby" how easy it would be to train your aquapuppies to maintain 24 hour vigilance in the apartment - always wide eyed ready - any questionable activity and they will do what will be taught - they will blow on the tube end to make the air whistle sound the warning - have one for each of your aquapuppies -

How good could a security animal be if one has to close its eyes , to sleep; at the time of the evening when the most important vigilance is needed - unlike your aquapups - always aware of the smallest of movement.... and thinking that you did not have a dog - so no sentry on duty - would lull the burgler into use of the window right next to the fishtank - there could not be a quicker response animal to the call -

As well; burglers have been known to bring meat along with drugs impregnated to seduce the mutt - I have never heard of a burgler bringing along drug impregnatged fish food for sedation - totally unprepared for your home security feature....

I am confident this will resolve the security issue, removes your midnoght walk for the dogs relief - and maintains the family budget for - instead of food, play toys, and regular visits to the vet - a new - larger tank and accessories to increase the sentry efficiency of your swim buddies -

I am sure that this is solid ground in favor of the fish.....

My dog, Amber has seen the fish only once, because I still live with my parents and she is not alowed in the living room. This will change when we move to our house in may . She loves to sit down at he end of the garden and look at the wide open fields beyond it. When she saw the gf she was intrigued and wanted to look at them for a longer time. Amber is almost 11 and the only animal that she catches are moles, so I'm pretty sure she wont harm the gf

My dog gets tired of the swimming after a while.