Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nickie73

Pics Of The Pond

Here are some pics of the pond outside:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/Ni.../Picture368.jpg

This is some sort of tubing running into the pond.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/Ni.../Picture367.jpg

This is a tube where the water pours into the pond?

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/Ni.../Picture366.jpg

Pic of the pond

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/Ni.../Picture365.jpg

Pic of it from the other side

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/Ni.../Picture364.jpg

Pic of the algae that is growing all over the inside.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/Ni.../Picture363.jpg

More algae pic

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/Ni.../Picture362.jpg

Another pic of that tube that pours water into the pond

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/Ni.../Picture361.jpg

Another pic of the pond from a different angle

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/Ni.../Picture360.jpg

Another pic

Let me know what you all think!!!

wow :heart that's a pond with lots of potential! :druel with some planting works, it'll be a beaut!

humm, i am not sure, so wait for other's opinion, but i think you should remove the leaf on top :unsure: i am not super sure about this though :unsure: have you seen any plugs around the pond Nickie? maybe you should move those rocks over abit to investigate where the tubing is leading too, lol.

once it's done and ready, it'll make a beautiful home for Jaws and Hammy :heart

I agree!..Are you planning on Jaws and Hammy going in when it's done?

From the position of the tube I think that it's connected to a submersible pump on the bottom of the pond and it runs water over the rock for little waterfall. Look for the electrical cord. Cleaned but not scrubbed it will be a nice home for your finned kids.

Carli

It looks like a 125 gallon from home Depot :D

nice.....good luck with it

Yeah, I agree that I need to do alot more investigating. I went and looked in the breaker box and there are two breakers labeled "spa" but they don't have any type of spa at all here, so I think those may be the breakers to the pond. I am going to move the rocks some and see where all the cords lead to. The pond is so dark that I can't see the bottom at all, so I don't know if there is a pump in the bottom or not.

What should I do about that ant bed that is right next to some of the rocks? I don't know if I can put poison on it, because if it rains, it may drain into the pond from the ground.

Edited by Nickie

Okay, here is my idea for the pond:

1. Clean it out of leaves and sticks that could harm my fish.

2. Figure out how the pumps work, etc.

3. Buy a screen to go over the pond.

4. Buy some plants to go inside. (Eventually).

5. Move my fish into the pond.

6. Do a fishless cycle on my 29g tank.

I know I will have to educate myself on how to maintain a pond, how to feed fish while they are in the pond, etc. This is something I plan on doing over the course of a month or so. What do you all think? Any sugestions or ideas?

that is a cute little pond it will look good when it is all cleaned up :) looks like your plan is good nickie

when its all fixed up, it should be a really cool lil pond :D

thats pretty cool Nickie, Jaws and Hammy will love it!

It looks like just a waterfall. How many gallons is it? It doesn't look big enough that you could'nt put more than two fancy GF it from the pics. How much sunlight does it get during the day? How close is it to the house and how many inches deep is it? It definitely has alot of potential. I bet it will make a great summer home for your babies. You wanna go ahead and get started on it so it will be totally ready by mid spring. Since you live in GA mid spring would probably be the perfect time to put them out!

Edited by RYUU

It looks like just a waterfall. How many gallons is it? It doesn't look big enough that you could'nt put more than two fancy GF it from the pics. How much sunlight does it get during the day? How close is it to the house and how many inches deep is it? It definitely has alot of potential. I bet it will make a great summer home for your babies. You wanna go ahead and get started on it so it will be totally ready by mid spring. Since you live in GA mid spring would probably be the perfect time to put them out!

Actually, I can't answer many of the questions yet as I haven't actually gotten out there and measured. It is fairly close to the sunroom. Not sure about the sunlight yet as the sun always shifts in the Spring and Summer months. I plan on getting out there this weekend and try to get it cleaned out, measured, etc. I don't plan on putting any fish in there besides Jaws and Hammy, then I will do a fishless cycle on their tank while they are in the pond.

There are some things I need to buy for it before I can put them out there: a screen to put over it to protect them, some plants, chemicals (if you have to add any to a pond?), and I need to find out how to work the pump, etc. There is a lot of work to do! LOL!

There has to be more than a pump to have the pond properly filtered, Nickie - maybe there is a filter on the bottom of the pond?

As for those ants, all you really need is a bucket with boiling hot water - that'll do it for most ant hills. I'd rather not put anything chemical within close distance to the pond.

I do love the flat stones that suround the pond, and with some neat plants, this will be fish heaven. You'll see your fish grow like weeds over the summer with all that extra "food" and space. :thumbs:

There has to be more than a pump to have the pond properly filtered, Nickie - maybe there is a filter on the bottom of the pond?

As for those ants, all you really need is a bucket with boiling hot water - that'll do it for most ant hills. I'd rather not put anything chemical within close distance to the pond.

I do love the flat stones that suround the pond, and with some neat plants, this will be fish heaven. You'll see your fish grow like weeds over the summer with all that extra "food" and space. :thumbs:

It is so dark in the pond water, that I can't see the bottom, well, alot of that problem is all the leaves and debris in the pond that are covering the bottom. There is a some tubing that goes into the pond water and then a tube that I assume pours water into the pond. I am sure I will have more answers as soon as I clean it out some. I am going to try and clean it out of all of the sticks in there and at least as many leaves as I can. However, I DON'T want to mess up the water chemistry that is going in there now. Any suggestions on this?

Actually, I can't answer many of the questions yet as I haven't actually gotten out there and measured. It is fairly close to the sunroom. Not sure about the sunlight yet as the sun always shifts in the Spring and Summer months. I plan on getting out there this weekend and try to get it cleaned out, measured, etc. I don't plan on putting any fish in there besides Jaws and Hammy, then I will do a fishless cycle on their tank while they are in the pond.

There are some things I need to buy for it before I can put them out there: a screen to put over it to protect them, some plants, chemicals (if you have to add any to a pond?), and I need to find out how to work the pump, etc. There is a lot of work to do! LOL!

Let us know when you get your measurments. I'm so excited for you. I love setting up ponds it's so much FUN! Andrea's right about the pump thing but what I like to do is run a hose from the outlet of my filter that way I can use the filtered water to make the water fall. As time goes by you'll get that stringy, mossy, looking algae on the rocks that the waterfall flows over. Don't get rid of that stuff coz it's extra filtration and oxygenation. Combining the waterfall with your filtration will make for some energy saving smartitude. lol

Thanks, Liv! Believe me, I will have TONS of questions for you all!!!! :rofl

Okay, here is my idea for the pond:

1. Clean it out of leaves and sticks that could harm my fish.

2. Figure out how the pumps work, etc.

3. Buy a screen to go over the pond.

4. Buy some plants to go inside. (Eventually).

5. Move my fish into the pond.

6. Do a fishless cycle on my 29g tank.

I know I will have to educate myself on how to maintain a pond, how to feed fish while they are in the pond, etc. This is something I plan on doing over the course of a month or so. What do you all think? Any sugestions or ideas?

Clean it but leave any thick furry carpet algae on the sides. Barebottom is best for the same reason as in aquariums. Remove the water and replace. Just like an aquarium do partial water changes. Find and clean your pump and or filter. If you are only going to keep 2 fish in there and you intend to have plants in there then you probably won't need a filter, just a pump over rock to help aerate. Don't buy plants, I can send you some in the spring. Go to Americanponders.com and read. They are more into the goldfish and watergardening part of ponding than the koi sites and in the spring they have members that send plants for postage. Kat (a member) has nice prices on waterlilies too. As for the screen, get some bird netting, the kind used to cover fruit trees. Nothing is 100%, raccoons will go under it to fish, herons will stab through it but it's better than nothing. A scarecrow, a motion activated sprinkler is a good but slightly pricey alternative. A dog outside is a great deterrant. For sure you should have something set up in the pond for the goldies to hide in. I have heavy lily coverage but I also have a crate that the lily pot sits on and they hide in there. Just be aware that even with the best of precautions fish loss to predation is possible so if you really love them you might consider a couple of feeders for the pond and keep the fancies in the house. I know that sounds bad but it's realistic.

Carli

Thanks, Carli! I have a few questions, though:

1. Why change the water in the pond before the fish go in? I do plan on making the pond bare bottom and leaving all the algae on the sides, etc.

2. Would a screen made out of metal work? I was thinking of using the type of screen they use on rabbit cages and then getting some stakes to nail it into the ground to totally cover the whole pond. Then, when I need to, I can take a few stakes out, take the screen off, and change the water, etc...

That pond is so small that a 100 percent water change will not be a bad thing. Especially if you leave the algae on the sides of the pond. In fact, the leaves have probably leached tannic acid into the water and have rotted in there. I'd do a 100 water change on it, start with fresh dechlorinated water and throw several bunches of submerged plants for the fish to hide in and help establish the pond. Plants are great for that.

As for the screen. You can do that a couple of ways..... You can get plastic pipe and fittings from the hardware store and make a frame to go over the pond. Sew fiberglass screen to it instead of metal screening. OR you could go to the fabric store and buy black bridal tulle (it looks like netting) and sew that to the frame. Another option is to take bamboo plant stakes/poles and stick them in the ground around the pond in an A-frame then drape netting over that. I do that with my pond and it keeps leaves and critters out.

Here's a pic to give you an idea:

LeafNetting.jpg

I definitely would not use metal screen on the pond. It could rust or leach into the water.

I'm betting that you have a pump somewhere in the pond and that it pumps from the pond up to a waterfall -- hence the pipe.....

How deep is that pond?

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for the tips. I am not sure how deep the pond is. I am going to try and get a closer look this wkend and post back with measurements. The reason behind the metal screen is because of my cats. I need something that their claws can't tear thru. Do you think changing out all the the water will bump the cycle? Right now, the params are:

Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate= 0

PH= 7.6

There won't be an ammonia reading because there are no fish in the pond. There's nothing in the pond producing ammonia, so no beneficial bacteria to eat the ammonia..... Once you add the fish you'll have ammonia production. Now, if you have a very small fish load (two fish) in a big pond, you may not have any problems..... Also, go out and buy a few bunches of anacharis or some kind of submerged aquarium plant. Pot it up in a container of stones and set that in the pond. Live plants do a lot for the cycle...... You can also detoxify any spikes in ammonia or nitrate with PRIME, so keep some on hand for dechlorinating the water and protection in case of a spike. Water changes are good too, but test your tap water to be sure it's not high in nitrates to begin with......

You could use the plastic pipe to fashion a tent and put the hardware cloth (the metal rabbit cage mesh) over it and set it up in tent fashion over the pond. Use zip ties and you can just lift it up and move it when you service the pond.

I'm looking at those pictures carefully and figure you've got about 150-180 gallons there, maybe a little smaller. I'd need dimensions and depth to be sure. Also, the moss covered rock looks to be a waterfall of sorts. The pipe comes out there and the moss indicates that water flowed over it at one point. I'm guessing there's a pump in there somewhere.

Gosh, I'd be out there tomorrow draining that thing and cleaning it up, LOL...... But I'm a crazy pond fanatic. :blink:

If you've got 30 gallons per fish or more, you'll be fine with two fish in there. It's a good thing to cover the pond -- good move. A pond like that will attract a lot of predators, so you want to be careful.....

I'm so happy for you. :) Your fish will love that pond!!!!! :heart:heart :heart :heart:heart

Oh I agree, you are so lucky and what an exciting project for 2008 :exactly Fab :heart

Thanks to you both, Sherry and Imo! Believe me, if I weren't still trying to get settled in the house, I would be out there in a flash getting it ready!

About the ammonia; there were three commons/comets in there up until this past Saturday. There were prolly about 6" long. Those fish had been in there A LONG TIME with out any filters or pumps running, or any running water or anything, so shouldn't there be ammonia in the pond from them???

I am trying to understand what you were saying about the "tent" over the pond, Sherry.

Also, remember that I have to figure out HOW to drain it, how the pumps turns on, etc. LOL! I don't know anything about the pond, but plan on getting out there tomorrow and seeing what I can see, I will prolly take more pics as I discover things, too.