Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Faust

Premature Hatching?

Ah! Sorry that I am posting like crazy, but I just thought of something. I was finding more eggs to take out of the adult tank and move to the smaller tanks for fry and discovered that two of the loose ones are moving around. One egg really stood out though. It looked like a giant fry. The egg had a tail, or so it seems. I thought it was a bad egg for some reason, and when I had a real good look at it, I noticed it was moving around. Even as I put it back into the fry tank, it began to move in a downward direction, as if it were gliding in its own direction. So, with all that said and if you read my other threads revealing my goldfish had just mated 2 days ago. My question is if it is possible or if anyone ever witnessed a premature hatching, and if so, what was the outcome?

---Faust

That sounds very strange. The hatching time is very much dictated by the temperature of the water. At about 70F, the hatching will be about 4 days. Warmer makes them hatch faster, cooler/slower.

From some observations and from talking to other breeders, I have come to believe that hatching too soon is a GREAT problem for tiny fry. They literally can be somewhat "premature" if hatched much before 4 days. It is fairly important that you do not encourage this to happen. The one group I had hatch out at 3 days had a huge number of deformities and die-off at the 3/5/8 week deadlines...

That sounds very strange. The hatching time is very much dictated by the temperature of the water. At about 70F, the hatching will be about 4 days. Warmer makes them hatch faster, cooler/slower.

From some observations and from talking to other breeders, I have come to believe that hatching too soon is a GREAT problem for tiny fry. They literally can be somewhat "premature" if hatched much before 4 days. It is fairly important that you do not encourage this to happen. The one group I had hatch out at 3 days had a huge number of deformities and die-off at the 3/5/8 week deadlines...

That is very scary. See, I am trying to prevent anyway from my room to be warm. I live in Bakersfield, CA and it gets pretty warm here. Even during this winter, the days aren't as cold as they should be. It could be my mistake. But today (as I respond) makes day 3 of having these eggs, and well.... I have hatchlings already. Still many eggs though. I hope there is a chance they do survive. I want all the babies I can get. So, it will be obvious when that egg sack is off?

Pretty good so far Allen, thanks for asking. I started off what I thought was in the 70's and now with the casualties that I could count, are still sitting in the 60's. I have had 1 had to cull, 3 with slight deformities, but I am wanting to see what they turn into as they appear to be very healthy and excellent swimmers. I like to turn the filter up for a little bit for excercise to make strong swimmers and filter the water for a bit. But with the ones that have died, I would say so far 2-4. They are so much larger than betta fry. I used to raise betta fry out of 2 1/2 gallon tanks and grow out in a 10 gallon tank (usually had small amounts of fry/eggs). The 80 gallon tank I was planning on buying off this lady for up to $150 is gone. She ended up selling it to someone for $50! Can you believe that? I need that tank for my fry. LOL I dunno, perhaps Santa might deliver me a tank. Usually that ends up happening. Last christmas, I ended up with $250 in gift certificates for a Petstore Chain (Which appears to be altered when I mention the name in these forums). So I dunno. I been looking at a 150 gallon tank. I won't be breeding regularly, although I wanted to see what kind of fry I end up with. Hopefully I can get rid of them if need be. But thanks for asking again. And Merry Christmas to you and to all a goodnight. LOL I just had to say that.

You bred bettas? Wow. I tried to ...ONCE..no wait, twice. The first time, I think I was 13? The female jumped out and I could never find her. It's like she magically apparated or something?! I was heartbroken..and then again quite recently. I just couldn't get them to ...''do it''...even with me trying to imitate Barry White. ''...Oh yeah baby, get those bubbles lathered up...your scales shine so muuuch and turn me on.'' ...My little brother thought I was a fruitcake. I still have the two females, but the male (my Mom's) died...but he came from a petstore, so there's no telling how old he was. Can you take pictures of your fry?

Yeah I can post the photos up tomorrow after I get off work and get pierced (My buddy's gift to me). I took some videos with my phone, seeing how sadly my phone is more updated than my digital camera. With betta, it is best to get siblings from someone who is selling them as a pair. That will usually give you the best result from breeding betta. I breed them in those 2 1/2 gallon tanks with a light and a betta divider. Those work very well and with very small low watt heaters and cheap small filters. For the bubble nest, I used indian almond leaves or you can get bubble wrap. I am sure you already know all this, I just thought I would help. Also black water extract helps. Oh! And use plastic wrap to cover the top of the aquarium, between the light top piece and the tank. They, in my opinion are harder to breed. Seeing how you have to cater to them and they decide if they want to or not. I spent tons of money bothering with betta from pet stores. Much better to order siblings and once you got the hang of that, with information from the net, you can cross your pairs for results.

But yeah, Sunday night I will post some. I have my messenger up on here, add me and we can talk whenever you like, unless here is just fine. Either way.

I added you on yahoo...not sure if you're there or not. Do you know who your goldfish fry's parents are?

I added you on yahoo...not sure if you're there or not. Do you know who your goldfish fry's parents are?

Yeah, it is my two ryukins and my black moor. Not sure if the female can have multiple baby daddys LOL. But they were both teaming up.

Darn! I can't post a video because my computer is old and cannot run quicktime. So I guess a photo will have to suffice.

Fry.jpg

Edited by Faust

I know it doesn't look like it, but I have over 40 fry. So far, no more casualties. Lost not more than 8. Hopefully no more, but I will need a larger tank for them.

post-14499-1199132716.jpg

About danged time! They're so adorable! And I LOVE your new avatar picture!

Guest byc

hi, i am new to this forum, just a question, I have been breeding gold fish for a few years, really as a hobby, usually with good success, however this time around i had a spare aquarium 30cm x 36cm tank, filled to 7 inches of water, with a smaller filter bubbling to keep the water clear.

First time ever, all the eggs died off, not one hatched, any one has any explanation, usually I have the eggs in still water, with great success.

please help

Thanks

Nigel :unsure:

Welcome to the forum....\

There are many reasons why your eggs may not have hatched. The most common reason may be that the water was "not what was ideal".....

When fish spawn, they add a tremendous load of waste to the water. I like to have them spawn in a tank, remove the parents and all the water and gently rinse the eggs before filling the tank and setting the air for hatch. This removes all the waste from the water and sets the tank to hatching without ammonia.

IT could be that they were chilled or too warm. It could be that you had a pair that did not have viable eggs - the male was a "dud" or the female was not prepared properly in the months before spawning.

It is hard to know. If you have been having good luck in the past, I would simply pass it off as a combination of circumstances that worked against you and try again. You may wish to hedge your bets and have at least 2 males with each female.

Guest byc

thanks for your reply,

will try again and see what happens !

When you think about it, goldfish frys are up against so much, its amazing they make it at all.

from the eggs, they have snails, other gold fish eating them, as a fry, dragon flys, older goldfish, and after they servive all that, they eat each other!!

Nigel

About danged time! They're so adorable! And I LOVE your new avatar picture!

Hey thanks

Wow! I moved my little fish into a littler bigger tank. Even in a 10 gallon tank, these 3 week old fry are growing fast! Even looking at them in this tank amazes me how they all survived in a 2 1/2 gallon tank. The majority are already taking after the black moor in color, and I can already tell which ones are going to be calico. So far it appears I might have 6 calico, while the other 30+ are going to be like the black moor. I moved around the rocks for the plants when I put the fry in. I found something struggling and I moved the rocks to find a goldfish fry that was trapped. So I searched around and found another larger one that is dead. Probably didn't moved when I was shifting the rocks around and I accidentally killed it. I didn't have that many deformed ones from the beginning. I would say like 2 maybe. Then there were like 3 that maybe died off in the very beginning. So far, unless I get a major outbreak... There doesn't seem like there would be many more deaths. Unlike betta, these fry are so much easier to care for. That's for certain.

I lost a lot of fish because of the new filter with the sponges. I guess the bottom has these little little openings that sucked in a few and they died :-( I wanted to brag about how many survivie too. Oh well. Next time. I have 20+