Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest oranda luver

Water Changes

Guest oranda luver

hello again:) i bought a test kit for ammonia and nitrtite.( titration kind) and my ammonia& nitrite tested 0 ppm. so the strips were faulty!well upon cleaning my filters out twice a month instead of once a month, they act normal, not stressed anymore. When i cleaned the filter floss, it was black, and its normal color was white.... :cry1 no wonder they felt like crap!( that wasnt keeping my water clean with all that dirt in it.) I was wondering what my water changes should be like? right now im changing 1/3 of the water once a week. I have 5 orandas in a 55 gallon tank, and they all are 6 inches including the tail. I feed them twice a day.

water changes variers as long as u keep your nitrite and ammonia down... as well as nitrate ...

because you are in the ratio of 1fish to 10gallon 1/3 is good enough ... just check on ur readings for the 3 things ... u should keep them constant at 0 for nitrite and ammonia and about 10 for nitrate... then ur water will be all good ...

usually i use water conditioner as well to remove any toxic ...

Yeah, because you have 5 in a 55, 1/3 is good enough, as alanworm said. But nitrates can go up to 20, i do a 25% water change every sat. on all my tanks, and my nitrate is at a constant 11.

try different things, but not anything too drastic, it could kill your fishies!

Edited by tropicana

hello again:) i bought a test kit for ammonia and nitrtite.( titration kind) and my ammonia& nitrite tested 0 ppm. so the strips were faulty!well upon cleaning my filters out twice a month instead of once a month, they act normal, not stressed anymore. When i cleaned the filter floss, it was black, and its normal color was white.... :cry1 no wonder they felt like crap!( that wasnt keeping my water clean with all that dirt in it.) I was wondering what my water changes should be like? right now im changing 1/3 of the water once a week. I have 5 orandas in a 55 gallon tank, and they all are 6 inches including the tail. I feed them twice a day.

Unlike our tanks that get a 90% change every day.

post-10480-1196764426.jpg

I change 35-50% once a week

I have 2 orandas per 55g.. I take out 10g a day.. and do 50% every sat.. works well with me and my fish are very happy.. :)

I do a 75% change every week. 2 orandas and a moor in a 55 gallon. 1 sick fantail in a 29g.

50% - 75% a week on my 60gal

What filters do you have???

I change about 50% a week