Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jamisskat

Umm Guys.. I Need Advice!

OK while doing a water change I added my bacteria to the tank like always.. While I added it Ralph my Pom Pom oranda decided to pick up gravel.. I quickly got the twezzers but when I came back the gravel was out of his mouth.. The gravel looked to be in their pretty good.. I think he may have swallowed it!..The tank is barebottom except the few peices in their.. what should I do??? :unsure:

Is he acting strange in any way, Jewels? You don't see anything in his throat when you lift his head out of the water, do you? Most likely he spit it out while you weren't looking, unless he acts really weird all of a sudden. :)

You might wonna try to get those leftover gravel pieces out of the tank as well. I have my 160 gl tank barebottom for years, but there are still small gravel pieces hiding away somewhere. Whenever I see a bunch of them, I get my net out and fetch them.

Is he acting strange in any way, Jewels? You don't see anything in his throat when you lift his head out of the water, do you? Most likely he spit it out while you weren't looking, unless he acts really weird all of a sudden. :)

You might wonna try to get those leftover gravel pieces out of the tank as well. I have my 160 gl tank barebottom for years, but there are still small gravel pieces hiding away somewhere. Whenever I see a bunch of them, I get my net out and fetch them.

nope hes acting fine.. swimming around looking for more trouble.. I removed the rest of gravelim going to double check.. when I got back with the twezzers I didnt see anything in his mouth when I took his head out of the water.. gosh, I sure hope he didnt swallow it.. I just looked at him and I dont see any lodge of any sort in his throat.. even his belly looks fine.. :cry1 ..im worried!

Trust me, if he would have something as hard and uncomfortable as a piece of gravel in his body someplace, he would act weird. In the beginning of the gravel's "travel", it would possibly impact his breathing, being so close to the gills and all. He would definetely trying to shake it off, swimming erratically. Plus, he wouldn't be able to swallow any other food - spitting the food right back out.

Is he a smaller fish (< 3 inches)?

Trust me, if he would have something as hard and uncomfortable as a piece of gravel in his body someplace, he would act weird. In the beginning of the gravel's "travel", it would possibly impact his breathing, being so close to the gills and all. He would definetely trying to shake it off, swimming erratically. Plus, he wouldn't be able to swallow any other food - spitting the food right back out.

Is he a smaller fish (< 3 inches)?

Ralph is almost 3 1/2 inches.. hes still young but fat!(LOL).. yeah he's just crusing the bottom picking some bacteria up and spitting it out like nothing happend.. no odd movements or flashing.. just acting like a young boy oranda.. He's even messing with Xiuying chassing her so I guess he's feeling pretty good..lol

I once thought the same thing happened to one of my fish, but he was fine in the end. I think he spit it out/threw it up while I wasn't looking. If he's acting normal I would think he's ok :)

Chrissy

I have a wonderful update!..Ralph is still acting normal :) Thankyou for your help Andrea!.. and chrissy!..He must have spit it out cuz he's doing his normal thing..chassing,eating,pooping!

It is rather amazing the power they can exude when they wish to get something dislodged - Thurston picked up a small stone and whiplashed his head and threw out the pebble -

post-10480-1196764125.jpg