Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

I Found The Neatest Fish *shrieks*

I went to the lps today to get a few things. I figured I needed another betta or two, (I was hoping they would have some ladies, which they did not) so I got a nice bright red boy. Another air pump and some other stuff.

Of course I looked into the goldie tank. Since hubby did promise to buy me a special fish after all! There were all the usual fish that are there, black moors, some big blue fantails with gorgeous butterfly type tails, a big red oranda, that is gorgeous but has been there for awhile and looks stressed, and some cute little calico's with a lot of blue, and some choco fish......

and what did my little eye spy......... but an all white fish. Of course I did a double take, being all white and all. At first I thought it was a common, but on closer inspection I realized it was a koi. Yes a white koi :D

Why it was in with the fancy goldfish is anyones guess. I told the girl I wanted it, but she didn't sell it to me *screams*

She thinks maybe someone special ordered it, because she has no clue why else it would be in there with the fancy fish. But she said it's been there probably a week. YOu would think someone would have come and got it. Sheesh. I left a note for the owner, to tell her if it's not already taken, that it's mine heehee. There is a big tank full of feeders, like sardine packed full. You would think the koi would have been placed in there. There was also a red and white common looking fish in with the fancies. I think maybe it was *supposed* to be a commet. It's been there for 2 weeks at least (it was there last time I was) and no one has came and got it either. The girl thought maybe it was special ordered as well..... *shrugs* She told me the koi was orange when it came.

I am also calling the owner as soon as the shop opens.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. I have never noticed a koi in that shop at this time of year, I'm not even sure I've ever seen one. And I was drooling over that white koi on ebay a week or so ago. I even showed it to hubby. And then last night I Posted about how much I liked koi. Then I walked into a shop that almost never has koi (I've never seen one in 2 years) and there is a little white one in with the goldfish. That SOOOOO has my name on it

This fish is probably not even 2". :wub:

So how fast do these bad boys grow? I doubt I will be able to keep it when full grown. I believe I was told on here that they need at least 360 gallons per koi. I could swing 200 gals, but unless I move, the 360 is sounding doubtful.

My mom and dad are hoping to start pond construction this spring or summer. They are not really *Fish* people, but they are hard into gardening. My moms backyard is a show peice LOL and they want to add a pond, she wants me to help her with the fish (ie teach her).

If I get the White koi tomorrow, I will have to call my mom and tell her to start digging (she lives 4 hours from me!)

So cross your fingers for me that little white koi will come to live with me. I hope I can get him before some idiot thinks he's a *goldfish* and puts him in a bowl or something. It's bad enough for a goldfish, but it must be even worse to be in a bowl for a koi. If he's not on hold, I am going to ask her to make up a SOLD sign and put it on the tank *snickers*

Jessica :wub:

it sounds like it was meant to be yours. i do hope you get it!!! :P

Koi really need to be in a *large* volume of water, and don't do great when kept alone, so I would suggest that you not get this little guy unless you're going to have somewhere to put him in the near future where he will be able to have pondmates. Koi quite commonly grow 10" in 6 months if conditions are favorable. I don't mean to rain on your parade, it's obvious how much you want him, but koi are not good fish for indoor aquaria, so consider how you're going to take care of this fish long-term before you bring him home.

Thanks Happy Goldfish. I was wondering about how he'd feel being by himself.

I don't even know if I could get this fish because it might already be sold. But if it's not, I'm going to call around and pull some strings, I am pretty sure he could go live in the lake....errrr pond at the aviary/zoo :D He would have lots of fat and sassy koi friends there. And believe me, they are sassy, heehee I have pictures of them somewhere I think.

You brought up good points, and it is probably best if I didn't get the fish, unless he has a place to go first thing in the spring, or whenever fish go into the pond (I obviously need some pond eduation ;o) ) And even then it would not be ideal. Yikes, it's probably best if he stays at the store as bad as that sounds. I think the tank there, is a 15-20 (it does not look very big to me!) and it has at least 12 fish in it, several are 4" at least.

When do people usually start buying pond fish anyway, I've never paid any attention as I don't have a pond.

I am such a sucker for a white fish.

Jessica

jessica,

i hope things work out for you and the white koi! aka future pond and such! :) i was actually thinking of you today as i realized that it was time for me to take new pics. my panda who changed colors has stayed the same bronze and silver, but my rescue has lost the last of his black and is now a pure white telescope butterfly tail. i'll get some pics and post them soon. i was looking for a home for him, but an now thinking of keeping him and seeing what else he surprises me with. you never know!

Guest Shiari

If he's still there, and healthy (fat!!!!) then go nab him! A young koi can be comfortably housed for several months in a ten gallon aquarium (but he'll need a buddy, most likely... a common if you have one) with a good sized filter added on. My own Yuki grew to 6 1/2 inches over a 4 month span in a ten gallon tank with two other koi and a ten and twenty gallon filter. I have a single 30 gal now to put on the tank to grow out future rescues (who will then be given/sold to the incredible vvvv near me. WOW!).

Jessica, if you have somewhere to put the little guy until spring/summer rolls around, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to enjoy him for a little while. If you can secure a location for him once he outgrows your tank, he is probably better off with you than whoever else might get him. Many people might not recognize he is not "just a goldfish" and try to keep him in an aquarium his whole life.

People usually introduce fish into the ponds in spring/summer - whenever the temps start being consistantly warm in their area.

Thanks for the well wishes Toothless. I have him!! Or her?

Well I called the store bright and early, the owner was not in, but the girl told me that if someone had wanted it, they'd have come and got it by now.

So I said to hold it for me.

I went and got White Koi (who has no name yet) and a little friend for him. I have a common and a shubunkin here, in a big tub, but they are best friends so I didn't want to seperate them. I had the girl nab me a little fish out of the feeder tank. I just told her to catch any one the same size or smaller than the koi, I got a really small one, probably only 3/4" and it's a red commet. So Red Commet and White Koi can be friends.

I just tried to feed them, the commet is eating, but the koi didn't bother.

I took a couple of pictures of the tub that he is in. You can't really see the fish though. When he is less stressed and used to his new home, I will handle him for inspection and pictures. I don't think he could deal with a stranger mauling him right now. :blink:

The koi is in about 43 gallons of water right now, noctice the nice bow in the front of the tub :rolleyes: He is less than 2" long right now.

I'm going to call about getting a stock tank tomorrow, heaven knows I needed one anyway. I might have to have them order one though, I know that there are two stores in town that sell them, but I didn't see any the other day. 100 gallons should tide him over, and if not, I found a 400 gal pop up pool that is only 24.99 LOL LOL It would seriously fit in the fish/tub room :rofl

I think I'll cry when it's time to go to the pond. He wasn't a mistake either. Someone ordered him and then didn't come to get him. He's been at the lps in that little tank with all those other fish for about 3 weeks.

chellekins26 Don't tease me with your beautiful white butterfly tail telescope. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a white telescope. I want to get a 55 gal setup for telescopes. I already have 3, but I want a white one to be the star of the tank! If I lived close to you, I'd be harrassing you everyday to sell her to me heehee!

Shiari wow it sounds like your Koi rescues did really well. Where did you find them? Was it you that found them in with the "feeder" fish? I am going to have to go to the pictures section and drool over you koi some more heehee.

Happy Goldfish, thank you for all your help and comments. As always, it's much appreciated.

So do you think his growth will be stunted because he's in 43 gallons right now? Will that affect his long term growth, or will it be fine, as long as I move him once he starts growing? Just trying to figure out if I should move him ASAP or once he grows a few inch's. If I put him in 100 gals right now, I might never find him again haahaa!

Once he is gone to a pond, Kuchibeni (common) and Tammy Faye (Shubunkin) can move into the stock tank.

I would really love a 100 gal tank, but hubby doesn't want to move a glass tank that big when we buy a house, so I have to wait for the house and then get the HUGE tank. Meh I'll just buy a bunch of smaller ones. =oP

Jessica

If you notice that little red blob on the very left, well that is the little common, and if you look VERY closely in the front of the pink plant you can see a white blob=koi LOL.

fa012ac6.jpg

fa012aa4.jpg

Guest Shiari

Yes, it is I that rescues the "feeder" koi. Come spring when my guys leave, I will begin the process all over and give the new fish when they get too large to the vvvv. It feels good to see them prosper when they were slated for death.

I think you should name the red common "Akai" and the white koi "Shiroi"... which are their colors.

I will have to take a picture of the massively overstocked, and uber-filtrated tub I have my guys in, and also a picture of the goldfish to show, including Sam Gamgee (officially Ibitsu "crooked") who helped to cycle the tub. Only took me half an hour and examining two other feeder fish to find the one truly healthy fish in the tank.

Get some frozen brine shrimp for the koi and his friend. They should go nuts.

With the koi, is his body shaped like that of the common, meaning, is he fat or "flat" looking from the side. If he's flat, you should move him to a ten gallon tank to get him fattened up and healthy since skinny koi are often sick.

I hope he flourishes with you. ^_^

Congrats Jessica! :D I think that you were meant to have this fish as well! I am sure that he/she will do well with you, thanks for sharing the pictures.

i beleive if you get the 400gal pool, surelly you would be able to keep him with another koi friend and some goldfish ? indeffinetly.. ? for at least a couple of years, and by then, you should be building a 800gal pond anyway :D:D

just my opinion but it seems to make sense ?

Guest Moongoldy7568
:rolleyes: Congrats on your koi. about a while a go i say a full grown koi at pets mart, they had him in a pound and he was orange and white. such a beautiful koi. i felt so bad i couldnt get it cause i have small tank. only 25 gallons and a ten gallons. but i ques the sold him.. i wish that person luck..

i THink i have that same rubbermaid container set up as a tank

might consider building a frame around it. looks liek its bowing out a bit.

:)

Congratulations, Jessica, on your new koi. He looks so cute in his "pond".

BTW, I saw a perfect, absolutely gorgeous little all white telescope last Sunday. I wish you were closer, I could get him/her for you :D

Guest Moongoldy7568

Just to let you know that i looked and that koi is still there. There selling him for 69.99. hes so big. i will try to get a picture to show you. ok. well i got to go. have fun. vicky :D

Thanks for the comments and help everyone :D

Pete, yes it is bowing, I was thinking I need a frame. Do you think it's going to explode?!

How did you make a frame for yours?

Touchofsky *screams* you saw a white telescope. I wish I were closer too! I've only seen one in my entire life, and it was one my cousin was fish sitting for her mother in law.

Shiari, I'm not sure if his sides are flat, I've only viewed him from the top really, well I saw him from the side in the bag, but I don't remember if he was flat or not. I'll go and take a look.

He seems really stressed. He mostly just hides under plants, or in the corner. His dorsal fin is up though. I think he may have eaten a little bit. I dropped a pellet practically right on him at dinner, and part of the pellet was still there, but it was shredded. I tried to watch, but he wouldn't come out of hiding with the lights on, so I just turned on a lamp across the room, it was hard to see if he was actually eating or not!

I will try the freeze dried brine shrimp. I tried the fd bloodworms, but that was a no go. He is too afraid to come to the surface in my presence still.

Vicky that Koi sounds huge!! If you get a picture, you'll have to show me for sure =o)

Kev, I wish I could keep him LOL. I talked to my parents, they are putting a pond in, I told them to make sure it was big enough LOL. Hopefully I will have my own pond that he can come live in someday. ;o) And yes 400 gals sounds HUGE! I have to admit, I've never seen a full grown koi though. I think I'm going to be in for a shock LOL.

Jessica

your new little baby should come around on a feww days. especially with your thoughtfulness and knowledge of care.

i was thinking about how you could make a frame and i came up with this idea:

get some large(3 feet) zip ties from a hardware store. get some 2x4s cut to the lengths of the lip of your tub. try to get them cut with a 45 degree bevel tip to tip. try to get the store( scottys, home depot, lowes,etc.) to cut a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch channel down the center of each 2x4 from end to end. assemble the framework like a picture frame with screws or nails with the channel facing out on each board. connect a couple of zip ties en to end and run them along the inside of the channel all the way around and connect them. pull them as tight as you can. it helps if you have the joints of each zip tie located at each corner of the frame. remove about half the water in the tub and slip the frame under it and pull snugly it up to the lip. refill the tub and viola!

sorry if this isnt clear enough. if you want to try this and need some help, dont hesitate to post back!

What a cute fish :D

Just wondering jessica are they in a Above ground pond?

Edited by Black oranda

Thanks Toothless. I will give these instructions to hubby. He will know what to do with them. I on the other hand, would probably hammer my thumb or something. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your instructions!

Black oranda, they are in rubber maid tubs in my basement. I have this big room that is used for nothing but laundry and junk. So I cleaned out a lot of the "junk" and I'm using it as my fish room :rofl And I have noticed that I am doing a lot more laundry lately (so I can loiter down there and look at the fish!) LOL

Jessica

Guest Moongoldy7568

he is hudge. hes about a foot in length and very nice iin fat. i think hes a beauty..yay. :D

thats a nice koi youve got there. I own 5 gray soragoi kois but depending on how fast they grow, I could have a long while before I worry about room. If you can not make room for your koi on time, give it away like sharai is gonna soon do. yea you sure love those white fishies :)

I have 3 white Koi. One is what they call a Platnium and the other are a duller white color. I also have an albino goldfish (white with red eyes). Enjoy!