Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jamisskat

Can I?

I bought my Panda Oranda Friday.. He's currently in a 10g QT in my kitchen.. I was wondering.. The tank he's going into permently is cycled and ready for him. I dont plan on getting another Oranda for awhile prolly spring... so far he seems healthy and no signs of disease could I put him in his tank?.. He will be the only one in there except my danios... Just a pair... I always QT when putting GF in a community tank but he's going in alone.. What's your intake on this?.. I kinda need my extra counter space is why Im wanting to do this... Suggestions are needed! :unsure: also.. hes in a 3% salt with heat.. Just incase ( ya never know) If I do take him out will placing him in total fresh water(no salt) stress him? Temp matching no problem.. I have tons on ziplocks :)

Just wondering, but how much space do danios need?

umm these guys dont get very big.. its a 55gallon.. they are great cycle starters.. I think they get a few inches?.. I dunno but they will go into my 30g soon.. actually im going to look it up real fast.. I want to know how big they get also..

EDIT.. they get 2inches..

Edited by jewels

Jules,

If he is the only one going into the tank, then I don't see a problem with moving him on in there! Good luck!!!

yes ,that'll be ok, but moving from 0.3% salt to 0 can be very stressful, even fatal, take it slow with the salt, maybe raise it to 0.2% in the tank

yes ,that'll be ok, but moving from 0.3% salt to 0 can be very stressful, even fatal, take it slow with the salt, maybe raise it to 0.2% in the tank

oK Thankyou.. I will go ahead and dose 2% salt then in the 55g... i'll do a water change in the QT now and only replace salt for 2% that way by tonight he will be adjusted to the 2%.. does that sound ok?

EDIT.. Will the salt hurt the danios? I dont think it will :unsure:

Edited by jewels

Ok, but if fncies need about 10gallons each, how much space do danios need?

well if they get about 2 inches I think a 20g will be best.. which is good since the 30 will be their holding tank..

yes ,that'll be ok, but moving from 0.3% salt to 0 can be very stressful, even fatal

I dont think that is necessarily true. :saywhat Maybe a tad stressful, but not life-threatening.

I would never go from .3% to fresh instantly, just on principle.... Give it a couple of days and go slow... One reason to keep the goldie in QT is that IF he has something wrong with him, then you've got to treat the new tank, and there goes your cycle..... By keeping him in QT, you avoid that.... So many of the meds on the market ruin the beneficial bacteria out there that it may not be worth putting him into the new tank right away.

well if they get about 2 inches I think a 20g will be best.. which is good since the 30 will be their holding tank..

Well then how can they keep 2 danios and a fancie in this 10 gallon tank?

yes ,that'll be ok, but moving from 0.3% salt to 0 can be very stressful, even fatal

I dont think that is necessarily true. :saywhat Maybe a tad stressful, but not life-threatening.

I've heard that its life threatening, I almost killed one of my bettas like that on acciedent

a gallon per inch of tropical fish, but u should have a tank of at least 10 gallons, dont mix tropicals with goldies, I think Jewels is just doing it to help cycle the tank and make sure its safe.

I've heard that its life threatening, I almost killed one of my bettas like that on acciedent

a gallon per inch of tropical fish, but u should have a tank of at least 10 gallons, dont mix tropicals with goldies, I think Jewels is just doing it to help cycle the tank and make sure its safe.

Also, isn't Jewel's tank that the danios are in currently a 55 gal??

My danios did my cycle in my main 55g.. they are currently in my other 55g holding the cycle ... When everything is all done the danios will be removed into my daughters 30g tropical tank with her guppies and platies.. :) Danio's are wonderful for cycling a tank they are very hardy and start the bacteria process...

When you get all the fish that you want; where is your new hubby - you know the one that kept you busy this past week - going to sleep??!LOL

Oh man, we have learned to get around those minor little details! :D

When you get all the fish that you want; where is your new hubby - you know the one that kept you busy this past week - going to sleep??!LOL

LMBO! Eric you are hilarious!!.. haha.. Oh, I see ya figured out the button on youtube... lol.. I sent ya a comment to.. Im sleeping tonight!!! :sleeping: LOL..

I agree with shamu, it is possible for a fish to stress so much they die from the level of salt, but i don't think it's the stress directly, i think it's because stress makes them vunable (sp?) to ich, fish lice etc