Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
sle586

Worst Lfs Visit Today

23 posts in this topic

So I just visited a new lfs and went around looking for goldies. I walked over to the fish tank and I saw about 6 orandas left in the store. One was bottom sitting torn up, another upside down. And last one I saw was covered with ich the r/w oranda was almost all white and what I can see left of the fins was blood red worst sight I've ever seen. The people in there didn't care so couldnt do anything about it just got up and left.

I believe I would have said something; but then again, that is how I am...very outspoken, that is.

Thats sad.. We really need more experienced workers in our LFS.. I believe thats alot of the problems.. I dont think they dont care I believe they just have no clue about goldies to begin with.. Proper care,water,feedings,ect will lead to healthy fish...

Edited by jewels

I saw a huge Oranda at a lfs that was in a 10 gallon tank that was bottom sitting. I told the help this fish is sick, that tank is too small. They oh she's just tired.

When ever there are animals, there is alway abuse somewhere. Can't save the world. But it would be nice to be able to. :(

I would have complained, but good! No goldfish should have to go through what those Orandas are.

kittyfiends, it's possible the help was right, my fish will sometimes sit along the bottom when resting. That Oranda sounds like it could use a bigger tank though, as you said.

I was at a fish club meeting the other night and someone had brought an oranda that was about five inches long to the auction. The poor thing was all torn up and had red streaks on the fins. I watched the auction while I held my breath, thinking I'd have to buy it for a buck or two if nobody took it, but some nice lady bid on it and bought it. I'm sure she'll take it in and nurse it back to health. The poor thing! And this came from people who should know better!

yeah i recon i would of had a few words to say bout that.like a few others here im VERY outspoken when it comes to crap like that.i tell ya some lfs shouldnt even have a licence or even be allowed to have fish, isnt there somewhere plp can complain to.i dunno like maybe the fishies police.

I was at a fish club meeting the other night and someone had brought an oranda that was about five inches long to the auction. The poor thing was all torn up and had red streaks on the fins. I watched the auction while I held my breath, thinking I'd have to buy it for a buck or two if nobody took it, but some nice lady bid on it and bought it. I'm sure she'll take it in and nurse it back to health. The poor thing! And this came from people who should know better!

criket id be embarrased to bring a fish like that to there, but then again my fishies wouldnt be in that condition, btw did ya happen to ask her wat the hecks the matter with the fish.how sad, makes ya wonder wat there other fish are like.

I would have complained, but good! No goldfish should have to go through what those Orandas are.

kittyfiends, it's possible the help was right, my fish will sometimes sit along the bottom when resting. That Oranda sounds like it could use a bigger tank though, as you said.

hi. i just had a look at ya profile. heck we dont even no if u a boy or girl. where ya from. thought it was strange, maybe u a fugitive on the run lol

i've seen worst... it was actually #### i couldn't believe it .. they have the worst conditions of goldfish around... there was about 8+ tanks full of golfish that is about 10gallons i believe and there were like 20 goldfish in each of the tanks .. they were using a central filtration so then all the goldfish had ich !!!! and you see torn fins and u see dead goldies stuck on the output of the water pipe !! sad !! :(

Edited by daryl
pet store name

#### has changed so much; their entire water refreshing system broke down and, when I walked into the store, all of the fish in all of the tanks were at the top gasping for air. The guy working the department said - " I'm new man- so- you know, its not my responsibility; ta know???

So I poolitely said fine and found the manager. After telling her, very politely, about the problem - she says - "

well I have 2 hours left on this shift - I am sure it can wait till the afternoon manager comes on board. Besides - I am not a fish person - I am a manager..."

I will not step foot in #### again -

Edited by daryl
pet store name

like i say there should be fish police. or something. surely someone keeps on eye on the lsf, or maybe no one does. i dunno.

#### has changed so much; their entire water refreshing system broke down and, when I walked into the store, all of the fish in all of the tanks were at the top gasping for air. The guy working the department said - " I'm new man- so- you know, its not my responsibility; ta know???

So I poolitely said fine and found the manager. After telling her, very politely, about the problem - she says - "

well I have 2 hours left on this shift - I am sure it can wait till the afternoon manager comes on board. Besides - I am not a fish person - I am a manager..."

oh my god, she needs a kick up the ###.how stinking rude was she. wat the22 she doing working there, any way wat is a MANAGER.i would of ask her, oh yes thats wat ya the MANAGER of its called the itty bitty i dont care club. wat a cow

Edited by daryl
pet store name

Guest Ren

I've seen some truly horrific pet stores in my time, and I'm always haunted by the memories of what I've seen fish enduring. Sometimes I break down, buy one, and nurse it back to health, but largely I just complain and take my business elsewhere as I hate to support stores like this. The worst was a goldfish who was stuck to the filter dying and had a huge hole chewed in his side. He was still breating and flapping his fins a bit whole being literally eaten alive by his tankmates. I asked the manager for the fish (for free obviously), brought it home, and euthanized it. Truly dreadful that any creature should have to suffer like that. :(

Edited by Ren

I've been to #### around my area and seen some bad things in their tanks. I wrote a letter to the main office and the next day I got a call and email from them saying everything was taken care of. So I visited the store again a few days later and it was all good and clean. :D

Edited by daryl
Pet store name

Stores can vary greatly from store to store. They are usually given common systems and setups...... even similar stock, but the care is up to the fish department's manager. Some are quite good - we have one specific "large chain store" that quarantines, treats, will not sell a sick fish, gives good advice, etc. Another one, same chain, across town is a torture chamber for fish.

Because it opens Koko's up to potential lawsuits, we request that you do not use the actual name of the store or chain in the open forum. Thanks. If you wish to warn someone about a specific store - not just a chain, please use the PM......

It is good to share - and good to speak up if you wish. I hope more stores hire workers with knowledge and caring - until they do, we should continue to speak up whenever possible, and/or vote with our feet - walk out. I have walked on a few stores in our area - and let all the members and volunteers that work the fish shows/stores/schools about those particular stores. One has even come to me for advice on how to get their fish department running again - so it does work.... sometimes.

gosh that place seams like a great lfs compered to mine. each tank literly has about 300 1 inch fish. only 1 or 2 out of every tank dont have fish lice ich flukes ect. thats where i rescued flash and capy. they only feed thier fish every 3 days so they dont cloud up the water and look more active. once i heard the staff say

"oh that bowl! thats 5 gallons. if you put an air stone in there you can get up to [get ready] 20 gold fish."

good grief i hate that store

We went to go pick up some aquarium sealant today, and of course, I had to look at the goldies. Hubby said, "ya know, we're not buying anymore fish from a store again". I said "Yeah, I agree. But that doesn't stop me from looking at them". This was a big chain of course. I might consider buying from one of my LFS's, becuz he is very knowledgable and takes great care of his tanks. It's sad, but you cannot rescue every single one of them. It's too bad there's not a procedure to keep people's fish from reproducing, the way we control our other pets' populations. Don't know if that would help, but might put a dent in the numbers that pet department stores get a hold of.

We went to go pick up some aquarium sealant today, and of course, I had to look at the goldies. Hubby said, "ya know, we're not buying anymore fish from a store again". I said "Yeah, I agree. But that doesn't stop me from looking at them". This was a big chain of course. I might consider buying from one of my LFS's, becuz he is very knowledgable and takes great care of his tanks. It's sad, but you cannot rescue every single one of them. It's too bad there's not a procedure to keep people's fish from reproducing, the way we control our other pets' populations. Don't know if that would help, but might put a dent in the numbers that pet department stores get a hold of.

i think there should be a fish pill or some thing :rofl yep give them a pill a day.

All large chains are like that around here.You can tell them anything you like,It doesnt mean there listening.So technically there being payed to stand there and pretend they care.Not a bad job if you dont care anyway i guess =/

you know mmm is geting to be pretty good. condision wise

Maybe at your mmm, but my local one, they treat all the display tanks well. Ya know like the ones everyone looks at the whole time, but in a secluded corner are the pond comets and rosy red minnows. All kept in a 55 gallon tank with central filtration. The amounts of dead comets pile up, as I'm sure you've seen the little comet stock tanks before. I will spare you the discription.