Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sally2007

Red Spot On My Common Goldfish...

Ok Well I had my Goldfishes for 6months now she was pretty small when I got her and her lil friend, But its been like 2 days now that I saw a red spot on her head on top of her fin. Its kinda hard to take a pic of her since she swims alot. I dont think the other goldfish in the aquarium bit her, they been living with eachother since I bought both of them 2gether...I mean the spot doesn look normal on her head. Does anyone know y she has it?

Thanks

Sally

could it just be a natural color change? Goldfish do like to change colors quite a bit. Can u post all ur water params and size of the tank, fish, and filter, etc.

Nah Im sure theres somethig wrong with her...I just dont know what...

LoL I dont knwo all of that im new to a tank and all... I have a aquarium that is 18 Gallon, I have 2 small common Goldfish in it.

Edited by sally2007

Nah Im sure theres somethig wrong with her...I just dont know what...

LoL I dont knwo all of that im new to a tank and all... I have a aquarium that is 18 Gallon, I have 2 small common Goldfish in it.

hello, One of the problems could be the water parms.. we like to keep our goldies in atleast 10gpf... commons need alot more since they generally grow longer than the fancy goldies.. do you have any test strips? Is she pooping normal?. what does the poop look like? A red spot could meen color change but red streaking could be a problem.. If you can post back with the water Parms... this will help us out alot :)

Yeah I have test strips everything is normal shes pooping normal...what do u mean by water Parms?

water params basically mean test results. U'll need a bigger tank of at least 40 gallons soon, although they should be ok for a little while. R u realy sure its not a color change?

Yeah Im sure she looks weird...

Yeah Im sure she looks weird...

I know shes fast.. but can you get a pic by grabbing her gently and snapping the pic?.. id love to see this and we can help you further :)

Grabbing her lol I never touch them before...

Grabbing her lol I never touch them before...

its ok.. just do it gentle but firm to keep her from floping everywhere! (LOL)..

Ok I will try but 2morrw cux shes sleeping right now and I dont wanna wake her lol...

Ok I will try but 2morrw cux shes sleeping right now and I dont wanna wake her lol...

ok..

Sally, since this is a double post, I'd just respond to one...otherwise the mods are gonna get mad. :peeka

Take a look at Thurston - a fancy Goldie of mine - in this spawning video- Is it a similar spotting that you see on Thurston's scalp and one spot on his tail near the base?

You can see it in the video - if it is similar than chances are it is a pigmentation issue. Just keep an eye on it - Thurston's scalp ones - at first = worried me - they are just slightly dep[ressed areas the size of the head of a pin. The one on the tail is rectangular toward the outside base of the tail. You will also see that he has an area where the pigmentation is white instead of orange.

As Thurston gets older the ones on the scalp seem to be getting smaller. Now if the areas are fuzzy or dusty - a different surface than the surrounding texture - then that is a graver issue.

So; chances are your goldie is not perfect - - but they are funa ll the same - and drive you crazy in the same way the model goldies do///LOL

As I've made sure to let everyone know in my posts here, I'm not an expert and that was why I jumped on to find out what was wrong with my goldy and what to do about it, and I don't want to be an alarmist nor scare anyone, but a red spot on my pearlscale's crown was one of three initial warning signs I dismissed as just a coloration spot before she got really sick, then got dropsy and ultimately died. By the time I was willing to acknowledge all of the little signs and try to do something about it, it was too late. So, I guess what I'm saying is, on one hand, Sally, don't necessarily worry, but on the other hand, I would like to ask that the mods, or whomever else with knowledge responds, don't necessarily dismiss this spot that Sally feels is of concern. Sally, it really does help everyone if you can post a picture. It also really does help if you can answer all of the questions about both the water readings, changes, etc., as well as how your fish acts and looks. Good luck to you and I do hope that it is nothing to worry about, but just know, getting information early on and doing something about it makes all of the difference.