Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ranchugirl

Posting In The Right Areas Of The Board

Please, folks - it has been quite a hassle lately to move around posts that are in the wrong sections of the forum. Can everybody just look around and make sure they are in the right area? That cut back on so much time, mostly for Koko.

Thanks so much, guys! :)

Feeling guilty, Lola? :D I don't remember you being an offender. Besides, an honest mistake happens to the best of us.

Hi! I'm Aquarius, bubbly and interested in making new friends. I'm 36", 24"..... Oh, oops - wrong place! :rofl

Hi! I'm Aquarius, bubbly and interested in making new friends. I'm 36", 24"..... Oh, oops - wrong place! :rofl

:hmm

:rofl2

:rofl

That is a pain though. It doesn't take a minute to think about your title and where it would best fit in. Moved topics are annoying for readers as well as uneccessery trouble for Mods.

ROFL!!!!!

I'm sorry, Andrea! I know I have posted in the wrong forums!

Hi! I'm Aquarius, bubbly and interested in making new friends. I'm 36", 24"

I'm a Pisces and am very interested in meeting you.......

Hi! I'm Aquarius, bubbly and interested in making new friends. I'm 36", 24"

I'm a Pisces and am very interested in meeting you.......

:rofl you guys!... we need to put up a section for goldie luv :lovewhip

:rofl you guys!... we need to put up a section for goldie luv :lovewhip

That's if Andrea doesn't kill us first.... :D

Now that is a coincidence - Just as I have brought the content value of the post determining the move -= to the management of the site.

Well; as I mentioned to them - it is extremely difficult to figure out how site management determines a serious topic that should fuel discussion - to be moved to the photos area because it has links to photos and videos - those links being used to support the topic discussion. Once the topic is yanked from the discussion forum - the value of the topic becomes nil because of the dramatic drop in viewers (sounds like a cable tv ratings pole LOL). My topic; I placed in discussions regarding spawning - in which I filmed highly typical behavior characteristics - uploaded videos of recent spawning of 2 of my puppies - for cross discussion with experienced people. By now I am sure you are aware of my tendency to be over-the - top regarding detail...LOL It was moved from discussions to photos - Which got as many viewers as attendees to a Bush party for his Friends to get together....as as few responses.

I sent a message regarding the issue. It was very nice that site management moved it - then - to the breeding site. I appreciated the consideration and compromise regarding the topic.

Please, folks - it has been quite a hassle lately to move around posts that are in the wrong sections of the forum. Can everybody just look around and make sure they are in the right area? That cut back on so much time, mostly for Koko.

Thanks so much, guys! :)

Yes Ma'am! Looks like I am the guiltiest of them all!

Jewels;

You probably know enough about me by now; that I would not consider this issue closed (LOL). If there is one thing that I hate; it is people who complain about a process or issue - whereby - the next breath offers no resolution toward making everything easier. Obviously - The one who complains does not wish to do the work to resolve the issue - or is to scared that their resolution would draw complaints from other persons. Well hello - Aquanut is here. I sent this on to site management as well.

If you have patience; I think the suggestions - here - to improve the operation will be worth the reading this - like reading "War and Peace". LOL

In preface; this would not be expensive to site conform - i HAVE PARTICIPATED IN ADJUSTMENTS - SUCH AS THIS SUGGESTION - at little or no cost from the webmaster. Usually; if you are a good longstanding client - this is an alteration chalked up to good public relations maintinance.

My observations;

It is not just my insanity that makes this an ever - more aparent delemnia. Unfortunately; as more people come on - or as current subscribers become emboldened to add topics; this has already assured the site administrators of more than just headaches and commentary from dissatisfied topics wisked away during the night (LOL).

No two people will have the same view concerning their topic placement. Even those of the best intentions.

The problem is not the subscribers inattentiveness; it is the clarity of the Forum titles. The onset of error, like a computer, is built into the nature of the setup. Personal opinion, built into this process, generates a nightmare for all. As well; seperation seriously reduces discussion and interaction of other important topics placed but never seen. I am guilty of this as much as anyone; my main area has always been Goldfish Discussion - rarely venturing outside - maybe to breeding and tanks - but rarely. Besides; the new topic writer, under the current site, is not "forced" to take the time to determine the proper placement of the submission.

Suggestion:

Everything may be considered a "Goldfish Discussion" Other forums - such as breeding or tanks, are actually subcategories of the overall umbrella of "Discussion". The exception - to remain seperate - is the Disease submission forum - or others where subscribers cannot place commentary.

The resolve?

1. The webmaster can configure the site to activate based on the column's intent. As an example - Outlook email allows you to click on the word "Date" to place emails in acending or decending order. The sender, by ascending or decending order. Have the webmaster activate the coding for this capability in the Goldfish discussions.

2. There are two ways to look at a simple resolution. Although slightly more cost - teh second one - B - is the preferred.:

A. Cost saver - a decision by the website managers. Under normal circumstances the ability to alphabetize the title would be little more than useless - most are not long thought out scientific manuscript titles deriving key word benifits - and that is just fine. The only difference now would be the initial key word from a list preconcieved and maintained - on-site - by site management. For example; The title of my topic was Spawning Video. It falls under the category, title and content, under breeding. So; now the title, when the new topic is placed by the subscriber will be required to have predesignation by the subscriber - it builds in the requirement - whereas - the setup now - I am sure; has people placing the topic in the goldfish discussion area - thinking - "oh; let web management move it to where it needs to be placed. " I am sure some are thinking this. Not to the benifit for web managemet. I am sure that they are fustrated. In the new setup I would be required to choose my my title "keyword" in the looseist and cost efficient sense. - without web management having toi set up the HTML coding for a keyword system for this group. I would look at the words, on the list, I am to use as the first word. Lets say breeding is on the list. My title would be - "Breeding; Spawning Video".

Remenmber - at this point the columns have been set up with user "clickability; Topic, date, author, etc. all able to be clicked in acending or decending order. By creating this keyword list - iot allows anyone to choose - if I wish to see everything in decending date posted order - thats just fine - all the subtopics are mixed in during each decending date - but doing it this way places all topics in front of mne to review by title. If I am a person more interested in breeding; then I would click the topic title header at the top of the column. This would place all the keywords in apphabetical order. Usually webmasters willl set it up so that -when the alphabetical order is generated - each subtopic will genberate their placement, within that same keyword listing in decending dated order. This would be great for - say- looking for breediing tolics. I scroll down to the breeding topics that are now grouped in decending dated order and choose. The site managers change the keyword if they do not agree; but are not required to move the whole topic. As well; all those extra links are not being generated.

B. Dropdown Keyword Box:

The Highest efficiency - and overall greatest productivity answer for all; If cost were not a factor (which is really not signiofigant to add this code)- it would be great to have included in the topic development page - a drop down keyword listing to choose from. It would show up as a seperate column to be clicked on when it would be desired to place them in alphabetical order. The cost effective way, listed in "A" above, is an initial introductory way that the system could be tested - and later move into the addition of a column - whatever. My cost effective way would leave room for human error or laziness.

In this suggestion -The keyword dropdown box development would force the new topic developer to have to choose the classification before the topic would be submitted. The selected Keyword would show up in the topic title column. Again; clicking the column title would alphabetize the column.

The point is that everything is accessible under the one main forum. It allows all submitted material to be view under the guideline discretion of the viewer. No longer would people be forced to click between forums back and forth. No longe rwound web managers need to move topics and create crosslinks.

Best of all; the viewer gets to see the titles of all submissions. If the viewer places them in submission date (instead of say - last response or reply date)decending order; he gets to see the most recent titles first. The Keywording is considered secondary when dating is considered as priority by the viewer. With this system; If the web manager changes the Keyword, using the managers personal determination that might not be in agreement with tyhe new topic submitter, The viewer is given the ability to make up their own mind as to the topics relevance because they see the topic title.

My topic is a perfect example. The spawning video - I initially droped into Goldfish discussions. The web management iniotially placed it into Photos. Having the new suggested system in place would have removed my concern that I did not necessarily agree with the web management. Why? the title would let the viewer determine the relevance to their needs. Under the old system; most likely the title would never have been seen by persons cruising thru Goldfish discussions. Especially if they have no need to go to the photos forum that day. Mangement was very nice in moving it to breeding in the end. Here was a lot of work to mover and cross link - so make no mistake I appreciate their consideration.

My suggested process does something else for web management. It reduces the pressure required to scan-evaluate the content and intentions of the new topic. The critical placement issue is not so critical anymore. As well; it forces the new topic submitter to make a determination as to the keyword before the topic goes up for public review. The staff is no longer slave to constant review and move process. If they dont agree as to the keyword used by the writer; the staff simply changes the keyword used. Only staff has the final say; once the new topic writer submits the topic - they woiuld not have the ability to change the keyword back if they disagreed.

As you can see; I take things that I think could be improved very seriously. As in my case; if I submitted a commentary on placement, as I did - and Jewels makes it a topic issue - then I consider it a process that has room for improvement. It would be careless of me not to put in the time to suggest a progressive resolution that would make everyone happier.

Are you still awake??

Okay Ranchu is right, I spend quite a bit of time moving things that should be in other places. Example:

Photos or Vids that show breeding: Breeding section

Photos of your fish : goldfish photo section

Photos of your tank/tanks: Photo tank section

Photos or topics of types of fish or ? about a breed : Types of goldfish

water problems, GW: Water quality section

The reason behind this is that people looking for something will be able to go to that section see posts and maybe find there answer, if everything is in this part of the board well you would be doing searching all day since this part of the board has the most posts in it.

Keyword: well that would be your topic title, don't just place help me! that doesn't help others looking for an answer. I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to explain why we like to place things were they go. I'm sure everyone has some type of organization in there home to find certain things. Well same thing here, and I cant please everyone on the layout of the site. I'm sorry.

Sorry about the rant guys, but just trying to explain why things go into things and why things are the way they are.

koko

Koko couldn't have said it better! :thumbs: And now I am going to get my whip for the worst offenders! :P

Okay Ranchu is right, I spend quite a bit of time moving things that should be in other places. Example:

Photos or Vids that show breeding: Breeding section

Photos of your fish : goldfish photo section

Photos of your tank/tanks: Photo tank section

Photos or topics of types of fish or ? about a breed : Types of goldfish

water problems, GW: Water quality section

The reason behind this is that people looking for something will be able to go to that section see posts and maybe find there answer, if everything is in this part of the board well you would be doing searching all day since this part of the board has the most posts in it.

koko

That was why I suggested the keyword dropdown menu ; to choose to group the forum groups together - that would have allowed easy group location and dated order. Maybe I went into such detail - that the benefit was lost in the long description

you think hun lol

Anyway the board cant do that with a drop down for the cats so guess what your going to have to find it when your going to make a post. Its not hard, I do it. The drop down is for mods and helpers and me so we can jump or move posts.

Maybe I went into such detail - that the benefit was lost in the long description

I'm straying from the main topic but I think you hit the nail on the head, so to speak. People are generally lazy and don't like to read long threads, especially if they have to concentrate. I think our concentration span is only something like 5 seconds before we get distracted, in a long windy thread it is difficult to stay focused.

You have a lot of ideas that you like to share and I think people would gain more from your posts if they were more concise. The point format is a good one, but again less is more. jmo.

Edited by Fishmerised

Please, folks - it has been quite a hassle lately to move around posts that are in the wrong sections of the forum. Can everybody just look around and make sure they are in the right area?

Where's the chronic knuckleheaded flirt section? :blink:

You've never had trouble finding it before. :P

Well!

Look who lept from the peanut gallery to rough me up! :unsure:

Touche madam! Touche! :D

And now I am going to get my whip for the worst offenders! :P

Ouchie- that RanchuGirl whip sounds worse than the kokostick :linedrink Best behavior everyone :))